• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What else do you collect??
17 17

1,545 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, N e r V said:

It also took some time finding one of these complete with all parts and instructions that still work too. These were a lot of fun for kids back in the day.

IMG_5977.thumb.JPG.36060ee2a89418a238c45aae832b2eea.JPG

Wow, Nerv, we definitely have some overlap when it comes to toys we had as a kid! Are you going to bust out Maskatron or Evel's Stunt Cycle next?

I can only imagine how long it would take to find one of THESE with all the pieces. Patience, patience... (thumbsu

27 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

The Rose is one of my favorite sci fi stories. This is a very scarce UK edition.

20170802_165507.jpg

What sites do you frequent to find them?

12 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Kay's next novel, Tigana, is genuinely moving, and where he found his own unique voice. A very underrated author IMHO.

20170802_165740.jpg

Fantastic novel by a Canadian Author!

9 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

A shared interest you and I have oft discussed. I don't think I ever showed these to you? Wonderful books. Of all places, I actually found the first volume in a musty bookshop in Bombay on my first trip to India in 1979. They've been with me longer than any other books.

20170802_080527.jpg

20170802_080543.jpg

i love the shipman books!  great little star bios!

12 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

i love the shipman books!  great little star bios!

He deserves to be remembered.

For over a quarter of a century David Shipman was the most influential writer on film in the world. He was never [a] film critic for a national newspaper, and was generally not seen by the cinema establishment as a heavyweight; but in the 10 books he wrote, most notably the three volumes that made up The Great Movie Stars and the two-volume The Story of Cinema, he exerted an influence no other writer on film has matched. More widely read than Pauline Kael, more authoritative and more knowledgeable than Leslie Halliwell, he always seemed in touch with the audiences for whom he wrote, and they appreciated his strongly held if iconoclastic views and the fact he was always his own man.

Of course, these days there are any number of ways of collecting movies and tv series. I recently discovered k-drama. Never mind world-class auteurs like Andrei Tarkovsky or Krzysztof Kieślowski If you havent watched k-drama, you havent lived.

And afterwards, you may not want to.

4325_MyLoveFromAnotherStar_Nowplay_Small.jpg

14 hours ago, PopKulture said:

That's a truly cool, targeted collection. I definitely lack the discipline to pursue something so diligently.

I'm guessing many of the film titles deviate slightly from their book inspirations? For instance, I see a "From Emperor to Citizen" which I'm guessing became "The Last Emperor."

yes, sir, many of the best film titles vary from the source.  "Q & A" is slumdog millionaire.  in "rope burns" is the short-story million dollar baby.  oddly, they changed "bridge over the river kwai" to bridge ON the river kwai.  and many more.

Edited by Straw-Man

I guess a collection is when you have more than 2 of any 1 thing so here goes nothing...

Spoiler

This stack of NatGeo dates back to around 2010. 

2e2gmsk.jpg

When I was a kid a had a stack about mile high that filled my closet, which I got from my grandpa. They were donated to local libraries as we moved around. There were some classics in there.

Edited by H0RR0RSH0W

34 minutes ago, H0RR0RSH0W said:

I guess a collection is when you have more than 2 of any 1 thing so here goes nothing...

Hide contents

This stack of NatGeo dates back to around 2010. 

2e2gmsk.jpg

When I was a kid a had a stack about mile high that filled my closet, which I got from my grandpa. They were donated to local libraries as we moved around. There were some classics in there.

Cheap and easy to replace if you wanted to. As a kid, I traded them to another kid for comics. He even had the very first issue which I'd imagine is pretty tough to get now.