• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL 3 (2020)
7 7

864 posts in this topic

rNemL5q.jpg

James Gunn expects to start filming ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3’ in a little over a year

gVXKxl2.jpg

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is about to hit Digital HD on August 8, but as always, fans are looking to the future of the Marvel franchise. Writer/director James Gunn already confirmed his return for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (and that is the title) months ago, but no release date has been set. Now we have our first clue, beyond the logical assumptions we’ve made.

Gunn sat down with Collider yesterday and when asked about production plans, he gave an approximate start date.

“It would be a little more than a year that we start filming.”

That would put the start of production on Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 in late 2018, or possibly early 2019. If that schedule holds, GotG Vol. 3 will be on pace for a probable May 1, 2020 release date, which is the date most have assumed. Consequently, Vol. 3 would be the second film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe after Phase 3 concludes with Untitled Avengers in May 2019 (the Spider-Man: Homecoming sequel will be first in July 2019).

There is a lot of work to be done before filming can begin. Gunn is currently writing the film and discussed the challenges in bringing his Guardians trilogy to a worthy conclusion.

“It’s been pretty easy. The truth is, the first movie is the first act, the second movie is the second act, and the third movie is the third act so I’m tying a lot of stuff together in the third film. We get a lot of answers on a lot of different things, so doing that in an elegant way takes a little bit of grace and elegance. It’s more challenging in that respect writing the third movie than the second movie.”

Edited by Bosco685

Director James Gunn on Writing Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

With the third installment of Guardians of the Galaxy confirmed in April and being set to help Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige work out the future of the cosmic setting in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, James Gunn has a lot on his plate. Speaking to Collider, Gunn talked about putting together what he sees as the misfit space team's third act.

"The truth is, the first movie is the first act, the second movie is the second act, the third movie is the third act," Gunn said. "So, I'm tying a lot of stuff together in the third film, we get a lot of answers to a lot of different things. And so, doing that in an elegant way, it takes a little bit of grace and elegance and it's more challenging in that respect."

How can that grace and elegance be achieved? Gunn said it all lies in his very human approach to writing.

"I think of writing a screenplay as like creating the body of a human being, and you've got to start with the skeleton, the bones, and you've got to take a lot of time because that's the actual base of the movie. If you screw that part up, later down the line you're going to have a lot of mistakes."

Though associated with the first movie, still a cool potential find.

James Gunn's Final 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Easter Egg Might Have Just Been Found

After Gaurdians of the Galaxy was released a couple of years ago, director James Gunn sent every Marvel fan on a wild goose chase. He revealed that there was one major Easter Egg from the film that had yet to be found.

While the search has continued to this day, a new video from ScreenCrush believes it has cracked the case.

James Gunn says Guardians Vol. 3 will set up the next 10-20 years of the MCU

james-gunn-guardians-vol-3-20-years.jpg

While promoting the home-media release of GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2, director James Gunn popped into Facebook Live to answer some fan questions.

When asked whether they were considering putting Richard Rider, aka Nova, in future MCU films, James Gunn responded with:

"Yes, definitely. Nova comes up occasionally as someone we might use. One of the things I’m doing with creating Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, it will take place after the next two Avengers movies and it will help to set up the next 10, 20 years of Marvel movies. It’s going to really expand the cosmic universe. We’re going to be setting up new characters. It will be the last movie of this version of Guardians of the Galaxy."

Kevin Feige has previously said that the MCU will look "very, very different" post-INFINITY WAR, and that it might not even be Phase 4, but something different altogether.

On 8/17/2017 at 2:36 PM, Bosco685 said:

"The truth is, the first movie is the first act, the second movie is the second act, the third movie is the third act," Gunn said. "So, I'm tying a lot of stuff together in the third film, we get a lot of answers to a lot of different things. And so, doing that in an elegant way, it takes a little bit of grace and elegance and it's more challenging in that respect."

Sorry, but I feel like he's talking it up to be way more than it is. To me, these movies are all about the fun characters and cool visuals. The stories themselves are pretty thin. Yes, there's a little character growth, but I don't see major narrative through-lines connecting the films so far. If Vol. 3 is just more of the same, people will tire of the franchise.

1 minute ago, adampasz said:

Sorry, but I feel like he's talking it up to be way more than it is. To me, these movies are all about the fun characters and cool visuals. The stories themselves are pretty thin. Yes, there's a little character growth, but I don't see major narrative through-lines connecting the films so far. If Vol. 3 is just more of the same, people will tire of the franchise.

But now Feige has selected Gunn as the architect for the Marvel cosmic roadmap going forward. So it makes sense he would use this next movie to deliver our space superheroes going forward. So it should be different from that aspect.

Marvel is Considering Richard Rider Nova for Cosmic Movies

Richard-Rider-Nova-Prime-Annihilation-Co

Writer and director James Gunn is not only returning to direct Guardians of the Galaxy 3 and executive producing Avengers: Infinity War, but he’s also helping plan out the long-term future of the cosmic side of the Marvel Cinematic Universe or at least, the next 10-20 years worth! And for you Nova fans out there, yes, he and Marvel Studios are indeed considering introducing the “real” Nova, Richard Rider.

That last part is a nod to Marvel Comics character Sam Alexander as asked by a fan during a live Facebook Q&A hosted by James Gunn today as the last question.

“Yes, definitely. Nova comes up occasionally as someone we might use. One of the things I’m doing with creating Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 – that will take place after the next two Avengers movies – and it will help to setup the next 10-20 years of Marvel movies. It’s going to really expand the cosmic universe. We’re going to be setting up new characters. It will be the last movie of this version of Guardians of the Galaxy.”

On 8/18/2017 at 0:10 PM, Bosco685 said:

Though associated with the first movie, still a cool potential find.

James Gunn's Final 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Easter Egg Might Have Just Been Found

Turns out the final Guardians 1 Easter Egg still remains, as James Gunn confirmed this video came close - but not close enough. But at least the fan got to hear this directly.

0bRJwP1.png

But with the 'ALMOST' comment, I wonder if he vectored in on the spot to review.

Sounds like Guardians 3 is going to be more key to the future of Marvel.

Could James Gunn Take on a Joss Whedon-esque Mentorship Role in Marvel’s Phase 4?

As you might expect, the famously tight-lipped folks at Marvel played things pretty close to the vest, but one thing we know for sure is that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 isn’t just the third act of James Gunn‘s trilogy-in-progress, it will usher out the current incarnation of the Guardians and, as one of the first post-Avengers 4 films, help usher in a new era for Marvel films.

That’s fitting. You don’t have to look far for someone to tell you how influential Guardians of the Galaxy was on the future of the MCU. Guardians marked a shift; a freer approach to a “more colorful, more playful, heightened reality, as Evangeline Lilly described. “Guardians of the Galaxy opened up a whole new door in the Marvel universe,” said Mark Ruffalo, who recently starred in the distinctly playful Thor: Ragnarok. “We don’t have to force a tone from movie to movie. We don’t have to force a look from movie to movie. All we have to do is carry those characters with some semblance of the last story.”

Suffice it to say, Gunn’s contributions to the MCU have helped point the way for the future, but does that mean we’ll see him follow Joss Whedon‘s post-Avengers footsteps into a larger mentorship role across the MCU? Not necessarily, but Gunn says they’ve discussed it and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 is going to help set the tone for what comes next after the game-changing events of Avengers 4.

“They’ve talked to me about that. They’re interested in that. But I haven’t decided what my role is going to be after Guardians 3. Avengers 3 and 4 are the end of an era of Marvel. This is the end of a long-form story that’s been told for the last 10 years. And Guardians Vol. 3 is a big part of the beginning of what comes after that while simultaneously being the end of this iteration of the Guardians of the Galaxy. Something Kevin has been really open to talking to me about is helping them decide where that goes.”

51 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Sounds like Guardians 3 is going to be more key to the future of Marvel.

Could James Gunn Take on a Joss Whedon-esque Mentorship Role in Marvel’s Phase 4?

As you might expect, the famously tight-lipped folks at Marvel played things pretty close to the vest, but one thing we know for sure is that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 isn’t just the third act of James Gunn‘s trilogy-in-progress, it will usher out the current incarnation of the Guardians and, as one of the first post-Avengers 4 films, help usher in a new era for Marvel films.

That’s fitting. You don’t have to look far for someone to tell you how influential Guardians of the Galaxy was on the future of the MCU. Guardians marked a shift; a freer approach to a “more colorful, more playful, heightened reality, as Evangeline Lilly described. “Guardians of the Galaxy opened up a whole new door in the Marvel universe,” said Mark Ruffalo, who recently starred in the distinctly playful Thor: Ragnarok. “We don’t have to force a tone from movie to movie. We don’t have to force a look from movie to movie. All we have to do is carry those characters with some semblance of the last story.”

Suffice it to say, Gunn’s contributions to the MCU have helped point the way for the future, but does that mean we’ll see him follow Joss Whedon‘s post-Avengers footsteps into a larger mentorship role across the MCU? Not necessarily, but Gunn says they’ve discussed it and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 is going to help set the tone for what comes next after the game-changing events of Avengers 4.

“They’ve talked to me about that. They’re interested in that. But I haven’t decided what my role is going to be after Guardians 3. Avengers 3 and 4 are the end of an era of Marvel. This is the end of a long-form story that’s been told for the last 10 years. And Guardians Vol. 3 is a big part of the beginning of what comes after that while simultaneously being the end of this iteration of the Guardians of the Galaxy. Something Kevin has been really open to talking to me about is helping them decide where that goes.”

25th Century Guardians with Starhawk, Major Victory, Charlie 27, and Old Man Groot

Also, howabout a prequel of Thanos raising and home-schooling Nebula and Gamora.  Sure they learn to fight, but they also have to learn like math, reading, geography, culture, history, science.  Does Thanos hire tutors?  Who does the cooking in that household?  Does Thanos have hobbies other than Death-worship? or even a job? What's their source of income?  Is it a Downton Abbey situation?  I'm pretty sure Gamora was always green, but was Nebula always blue?  Why does Gamora know more about fruit than Nebula?

Being a single dad is tough, especially when your adopted daughters are assassins who hate each other.  AmIRight?  I would watch this movie.

During a panel Michael Rooker phoned James Gunn and received his answering machine, which states the number you have called. A fan in the audience realized he just identified the real phone number. So to force James Gunn to include Nova in Guardians Vol. 3, he decided to publicize the phone number on his website and on Twitter so people overwhelm him with calls and texts to the point he capitulates.

HJMCzgv.png

VceS5iH.png

Fan=> Fanatic=>Freak

It seems like some go so far to force comic book movie creators to give them what they want, there is no limit. No-hold barred methods to see your 'dreams' come true.

Edited by Bosco685

James Gunn is fired up over what this fellow did to him. He posted this today on his Facebook account.

James Gunn Facebook

HOW ROOKER GAVE OUT MY PHONE NUMBER ONSTAGE: THE EPIC FACEBOOK POST

So last night I caused a bit of an uproar on Twitter when I responded to a tweet by Matt McGloin, the guy who runs a site called Cosmic Book News.

Matt Tweeted: “Yes Nova in #MCU! Now that Disney is buying Fox, make an Annihilation movie! And don't make it goofy!!”

First of all, the Disney-Fox deal he refers to is not a definite thing. But, I Tweeted back: “.@mattmcgloin, ever since you gave out my phone number on your web site (because people heard it on Rooker's phone when he was on stage), and asked people to call and harass me, anything you ask for is much less likely to happen. Like, truly.”

It brought up a lot of questions and led to a back and forth between the two of us, so here’s the story in full.

A little over a year ago, I was getting ready for bed with Jenn when I noticed I had a few voicemails on my phone from numbers I didn’t recognize. At that same time, I saw a text from a friend who sent me a story posted on Cosmic Book News. It read: JAMES GUNN’S NUMBER LEAKS ONLINE; CALL AND ASK FOR NOVA.

Michael Rooker had recently done a fan convention and, as he often does at conventions, he tried to call me from stage so I could make fun of him over the phone for the benefit of the fans. This time I didn’t answer. I don’t have a message on my phone, so the recorded voice said no one was available at the number and… stated my phone number. People recorded the moment on their phones and posted it online. It was not easy to make out my phone number, but Rooker’s stage microphone had picked it up if you turned the volume way up.

So, Matt took my number from the video, posted it in an “article” about my number leaking (which hadn’t really been the case until he posted it – the people who posted the video did not post it with that intention), and then told fans to contact me and request Nova in the MCU.

I knew who Matt was. He has commented a lot here on Facebook, and his focus seems to be singularly on Nova. He gets upset that Nova isn’t in the Guardians movies and he seems to think this is something he’s entitled to, and has gotten somewhat belligerent about it here numerous times. He also has a real issue that Star-Lord has a dance-off in the first movie, because he thinks this isn’t taking the characters seriously and it turns them into a joke (for the record, as far as I’m concerned, it’s a legitimate and desperate form of distraction taken by Peter Quill). I’ve considered blocking him many times, but sometimes he’s nice and normal, and I usually just ignore these types of things. Plus he did create a fan site that focuses on cosmic characters, and that’s a nice thing to do.

It was moments after I got word that the article was posted that my phone EXPLODED with calls. In fairness, it was mostly the same couple of numbers calling continuously and hanging up. But, still, my phone was screwed, and it was right when I had a ton of :censored:  going on in my life, both personal and professional, including dealing with the health of someone close to me. It was the exact wrong time for it to happen.

So, of course, although I’d like to pretend like I’m the kind of guy who takes things in stride, I was furious.

The first thing I had to do was change my phone number, which I immediately set in motion. And then I needed to vent.

The first person I took my anger out on was Michael Rooker, who I called and yelled at for giving out my phone number on stage.
“WHAT THE :censored: , DUDE?”
“Whoops,” Rooker said.
He was incredibly apologetic and explained that he really didn’t think my whole phone number had gotten out to the audience. People think Rooker is a tough guy, and he is, but he’s also one of the nicest guys I know. Imagine if Winnie-the-Pooh spent fifteen years in a maximum security prison, fending for his life from day to day. He’d come out harder but still, you know, Pooh. Anyway, that’s Michael Rooker. It’s hard to stay angry at him.

But who I was really angry at was Matt McGloin. What kind of person gives out someone’s phone number online? And encourages his audience to use it? But I didn’t know what the correct response was.

I thought about composing some outraged tweets (kind of like what I did last night), but I knew that would lead to clicks on his site, and it would give him the type of negative attention he seemed to crave. I thought about calling my lawyer and forcing him to take it down – but, by the time that happened, my number would be changed. So I decided to ignore it and pretend like it didn’t happen, and not give him the satisfaction of having actually gotten to me.

Which I successfully did for about fourteen months, until last night, when I was having a pleasant conversation with fans on Twitter about who they’d like to see in the MCU, and I saw his Tweet. I think it just put a sour taste in my mouth, during a really nice interaction with fans.

And the honesty just kind of slipped out – meaning, my initial response above. If you guys haven’t noticed by now, I can be impulsive from time to time.

Matt claimed posting my phone number was a joke. I’ll remember that next time I’m caught shoplifting –
“Hold on a second, officer, you’re completely misunderstanding the situation! It’s a joke!”
“You putting a pack of Big Red gum in your pocket and walking out of the store is a joke?”
“Yes!”
“It’s not funny.”
“It doesn’t matter. What matters is the intention. And I intended it as a hilarious joke.”
“Good point. You’re free to go.”

Matt also claimed Rooker said my phone number onstage, which just isn’t true, and he thought I responded the way I did because of his “goofy” comment in the tweet, and not because of the invasion of privacy thing. To be honest, the end of his tweet didn’t even register with me. It was the asking-for-something-after-he-had-given-out-my-phone-number-online that was irritating.

Matt then claimed that it was a fact that the Guardians movies wouldn’t exist without Cosmic Book News. Which I guess means he thinks I don’t really have the right to be angry with him, because I should be grateful to him for my entire career.

In 2008, Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning put out a series of comics with the Guardians featured in the movies. Kevin Feige read those comics and, having always loved Star Wars, thought they would make a good, modern space opera. Dan, Andy, Kevin, along with Bill Mantlo, Jim Starlin, and some others, are to whom I’m grateful for being bequeathed the Guardians films. Matt McGloin doesn’t usually enter the conversation. So, you know, I didn’t really know how to respond to that.

Whatever the case, you now know the full story behind my tweets last night. Am I sorry I brought it up at all? Not really. It’s something that happened. As expected, Matt seemed to love the attention, retweeting all the negative tweets he was receiving, and posting two articles on the exchange.

He did sort of apologize, in the “if I caused any problems” way, so that’s something. And he removed the phone number from his site – but, as I said, I had changed that back when it happened.

All in all, although I was angry at the time, I forgive Matt, and hope he learns from this. Harassing a creator about a character you love is never a good thing. Maybe this is small of me – but it’s also true – that now when the character of Nova comes up, he is linked in my brain, to some degree, with how Matt gave away my phone number on his site. So my original response to Matt wasn’t completely a joke - it does make it a little more difficult for me to feel any passion for the character or desire to include him.

I tell this to those of you who are fans, because I’m a pretty simple organism. When people ask for characters in kind, respectful ways, it creates a positive association with that character. When people demand characters, and are rude about it, it creates a negative association with the character. I DO listen to everything you guys say, and take it all into account. Unfortunately, you want a lot of characters in the movies, and I only have so much space, and only so many of those characters fit organically into the story. But I honestly do my best and appreciate all your feedback and support.

In the end, Matt’s behavior was not acceptable, but my outing of him on Twitter and here is more than punishment enough. So please, please do not harass him, and, if you enjoy his site, please continue to do so. I will receive no pleasure from his ill-fortune. He’s got enough problems, you know, with Nova not being in the MCU and stuff.

As for Rooker, I do, of course, enjoy his ill-fortune, and I got my revenge on him shortly after it all happened. I sent out a text to the small group of friends and family who I wanted to have my updated number, which started with, “This is James Gunn’s new number, because Rooker is an :censored:  and gave out my old number onstage.”

We’re Mary Poppins.

Love to you all.

I’m serious about the not-harassing thing.

James

Talk about a mature way to deal with the situation versus going after the offender.

3 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

The overall gushing by you is what makes me vomit. 

its a bit much in my opinion

Have you read the things he's posted outside of regular "movie-talk" over the years? He's a wonderful person. I don't see how that's "gushing."

(shrug)

33 minutes ago, Chip Cataldo said:

Have you read the things he's posted outside of regular "movie-talk" over the years? He's a wonderful person. I don't see how that's "gushing."

(shrug)

I think it was the generalization like all MCU directors are like this.

But I do think James Gunn is a great fellow, and goes out of his way to engage with fans regularly. To include regular Facebook chat sessions where they can ask pretty much anything, and he attempts to answer.