• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL 3 (2020)
7 7

864 posts in this topic

It's not like he did a few jokes about pedophilia and rape, he deleted over 10,000 tweets, granted I'm sure not all of them were about that but it wasn't just a few. 

If you're always making jokes about being a pedo and raping, there's something else there.

5 hours ago, Lucky Baru said:

The subject matter of his "jokes", if you can refer to them as that, is something that Disney's can't be associated with.  Their target audience is children.  The dude had to go.  To not realize that is strange.  To lay the blame at Disney's or society's feet is even stranger.  The guy did it to himself.

If Disney could not be associated with Gunn due to his statements then they would not have hired him in 2012.  All of this was fully known when it happened and has been in the open public for a decade now. Society at large also knew about this and did not care until the outrage mob needed a target one day prior to SDCC for them sweet click duckets.

1 hour ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Yes, this specific situation is politically related.  He was arguing back and forth with a conservative far right wing individual.  That individual and others dug up the old tweets.  So there is an element of politics to it.  To say it has NOTHING to do with politics is incorrect.

I suppose, but Disney would've acted regardless of who found the posts.

1 hour ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

But I agree that the overall argument is not politically exclusive.  That wasn't what I was inferring or insinuating.  Don't extrapolate my statement to be more than it is.

***End

I didn't. I asked a question.

So now there's tweets surfacing from Michael Ian Black, Patton Oswalt, and Sarah Silverman about pedophilia.

Is there anyone here that makes pedo jokes or enjoys them, or is that just a Hollywood thing?

2 hours ago, DougC said:

If Disney could not be associated with Gunn due to his statements then they would not have hired him in 2012.  All of this was fully known when it happened and has been in the open public for a decade now. Society at large also knew about this and did not care until the outrage mob needed a target one day prior to SDCC for them sweet click duckets.

Society at large wasn't aware of this tweets.  Also, at no time has it EVER been socially acceptable to state what he stated.  If society at large had been aware of his offensive tweets Disney wouldn't have hired him.

You should note that it the studio isn't the largest revenue stream for Disney.  It isn't even close.  It is the 3rd largest segment out of 4 parts of the company.  Media Networks and the Parks/Resort dwarf the studio.  They booted this guy to stave off potential issues with their media networks, i.e. ad revenue, and issues with people not going to their parks.  Disney sells its products as family entertainment.  It was a simple decision once all of this became known in wider circles, i.e., the mainstream media picked it up and ran with it.  They severed ties as fast as they could.

BTW, I just did a search on his tweets.  I was unaware that his tweets were also homophobic in nature, and he also posted extremely offensive tweets about the holocaust.  Unbelievable.  He was completely out of bounds.

Edited by Lucky Baru

3 hours ago, PEP said:

So now there's tweets surfacing from Michael Ian Black, Patton Oswalt, and Sarah Silverman about pedophilia.

Is there anyone here that makes pedo jokes or enjoys them, or is that just a Hollywood thing?

:news: comedians make jokes about everything including yo momma

3 hours ago, PEP said:

Attempting to police comedy is a gigantic misstep. 

On 7/21/2018 at 5:43 PM, PEP said:

I've heard an awful lot of Michael Jackson pedophilia jokes from regular people in my day.

On 7/21/2018 at 9:23 PM, darkstar said:

Attempting to police comedy is a gigantic misstep. 

Totally agree, and if he was in a comedy setting he'd have a defense. 

Silverman, Oswald, and the like are comedians who are always in character, so I doubt we'll see the same level of backlash.

It was pretty funny, Joe Rogan talked about the differences on his 'Rocky Mountain High' CD:

Like, if it wasn't comedy, if it wasn't understood that I was joking around, most of my act would be a g***d**n hate rally, right? What kind of psychos would you be for agreeing with me? You know it's a joke, but there's a thing going on in America where a lot of people like to get angry at jokes, and they like to pretend that a joke, when taken out of context, it can look pretty bad.

You take some of the things that I've said, you take them, and you put them on a piece of paper, and you print them on a blog, and it looks awful. Like, here's a perfect example. Tracy Morgan got in trouble, because he said if his son was gay, he would stab him. Pretty f****d up, right? However, on the same show, he also said he would eat a mile of s**t to get to Beyoncé's booty. Does anybody see a pattern? You know, Bob Marley never really shot the sheriff.

Really disappointing to see this unfold. I like James Gunn and have  followed him on FB for a couple years. Would  have to say I don’t think he’s a pedophile but also don’t know what the hell he was thinking.  :facepalm:

Disney really made a huge mistake on this one.  This attack on Gunn was orchestrated by Mike Cernovich, of pizza-gate infamy.  No one should react to this despicable character. The petition to re-hire him has over 230,000 signatures.

10 hours ago, Werner_Von_Doom said:

The petition to re-hire him has over 230,000 signatures.

I'll be surprised if it matters.  From an HR/legal perspective they would be opening pandora's box.  They'd have to revisit any of their other firings over social media issues.

Edited by Lucky Baru

10 hours ago, Werner_Von_Doom said:

Disney really made a huge mistake on this one.  This attack on Gunn was orchestrated by Mike Cernovich, of pizza-gate infamy.  No one should react to this despicable character. The petition to re-hire him has over 230,000 signatures.

I'm not sure what your logic is. His tweets aren't reprehensible because of who first reported them?

6 hours ago, RedRaven said:

I'm not sure what your logic is. His tweets aren't reprehensible because of who first reported them?

It wasn't like Cernovich accidentally stumbled upon the tweets and reported them. He went after Gunn personally by digging through and cherry-picking the "worst" tweets out of thousands.

These are jokes. Bad ones, but just jokes from a decade ago. Disney knew about them before hand and is only reacting to an alt-right hit job from a dirt-bag. I find Cernovich 1000x more reprehensible than Gunn's jokes.

On 7/24/2018 at 8:47 AM, RedRaven said:

Exactly my thought. Seems like someone's political affiliation is getting in the way of seeing this as anything more than a sound business decision by Disney. 

4 hours ago, AGGIEZ said:

Exactly my thought. Seems like someone's political affiliation is getting in the way of seeing this as anything more than a sound business decision by Disney. 

No. If there was some conspiracy-theory left-wing nutjob getting conservatives fired for decades-old joke tweets, that would just as disgusting.

And as far as whether Disney made a sound business decision, that is debatable. If they ignored this and let Gunn direct GOG3, how much do they lose to people who boycott?, $25k $50K? $0?  A new director could risk millions.

On 7/21/2018 at 3:49 PM, DougC said:

Nobody got Gunn fired but Gunn.

Of all the entities that I lay awake at night worrying if they have enough money to pay the bills, Disney is pretty low on the list.

Edited by WeR138

Going a bit far-afield from the immediate topic...

For years, as long as I have been using email, I have always heard, in various forms, "don't put anything in email you wouldn't want the entire world to know". It absolutely astounds me the things people will post using their real identities on public forums where there is no expectation of privacy.