• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover cleaning?

10 posts in this topic

I'am thinking of buying a SA comic that the dealer suspect has been "cover cleaned",what is everybodys opinion on this when it comics to a investment comic which has this done and nothing else.By the way the issue is FF #5.......... confused.gif

I don't know very much about restoration..........they sometimes can't detect when a book has been pressed.......but I'd have to think they can usually determine when a book has been cleaned.......especially if it was "wet" cleaned.

If they did detect it.....you are correct......it would get the dreaded purple label. frown.gif

I don't believe that slabbing a restored book adds much value to it (sometimes.....strangely enough.....a slabbed restored book can actually sell for LESS than an unslabbed restored book in the same grade). confused.gif

Someone else could answer that question better then me.

Can you post an image of the FF5 in question? It'd be far easier to answer your question if we could get a better idea of the book's presentation.

Of course a wet cleaning (that is, disassembly, a bath for the cover, and reassembly with pressing after assembly) will give the surface of the comic a different "feel", having subjected the cover's surface gloss to chemicals and or water (creating almost a grainy, highly tactile surface), but you would NOT be able to determine this if the book is already CGCed, not being able to feel the surface.

May be cheaper for u to buy a FF 5 cgc 8.0 purple resto just cleaned & pressed as they sell for about 75% off 8.0 condition guide. Crack it out of the slab carefully following hammer's previous instructions for max. reading enjoyment. smile.gif