• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NINJAK VS THE VALIANT UNIVERSE from Bat In The Sun

56 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Chip Cataldo said:

Are the Harbinger kids in it? 

Nope.  The theory on what has taken so long for the series to be released is that there may have been a problem with Bloodshot appearing in Ninjak Vs., since Bloodshot movie (theater) licensing was in place in the Bloodshot / Harbinger deal.  If so, that would explain why the Harbinger renegade kids aren't in Ninjak Vs.

32 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Nope. I think the big news re: EW #4 will be when they announce which actor is in the (theater) movie.

That will provide an initial pop. The question is whether the movie will end up being produced/released. 

On 1/5/2018 at 4:53 PM, valiantman said:
On 1/5/2018 at 2:28 PM, kimik said:

So......this is the big news re: EW #4?

Nope. I think the big news re: EW #4 will be when they announce which actor is in the (theater) movie.

Kinda like that...

https://www.thewrap.com/vin-diesel-sony-bloodshot/

Not sure I am fan of this. I think Vin Diesel is about a decade (if not more) past his prime now as far as an action film lead. They need to go with someone younger that can be there for multiple films across the VCU.

Edited by kimik

17 minutes ago, kimik said:

Not sure I am fan of this. I think Vin Diesel is about a decade (if not more) past his prime now as far as an action film lead. They need to go with someone younger that can be there for multiple films across the VCU.

If the old phrase "beggars can't be choosers" applies to comic book companies with under 1% market share, I'd say a Top 10 worldwide movie grossing star is way more than they should have been able to get.

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-star-records/worldwide/lifetime-acting/top-grossing-leading-stars

His numbers are skewed significantly by the strenuous task of saying "I am Groot" a handful of times. 

While this is nice news for Valiant to build some hype, I don't see it turning out well. His solo/clearly the lead actor films have had so-so results over the past decade or so, and more importantly he is getting up their in age. Unless the plan is to use him as Bloodshot to drive interest in the first VCU film, I am still on the fence with this. The Vin Diesel I liked as an action lead was in XXX and The Chronicles of Riddick in the early to mid 00s. I guess if they had him portray the character in one film and then kill him off to be replaced by a younger Bloodshot it could work.

12 minutes ago, kimik said:

His numbers are skewed significantly by the strenuous task of saying "I am Groot" a handful of times. 

While this is nice news for Valiant to build some hype, I don't see it turning out well. His solo/clearly the lead actor films have had so-so results over the past decade or so, and more importantly he is getting up their in age. Unless the plan is to use him as Bloodshot to drive interest in the first VCU film, I am still on the fence with this. The Vin Diesel I liked as an action lead was in XXX and The Chronicles of Riddick in the early to mid 00s. I guess if they had him portray the character in one film and then kill him off to be replaced by a younger Bloodshot it could work.

I have been continuously surprised by what should have been the peak of Valiant success.  There was almost no one who believed that Valiant (2012) would rival the original Valiant in terms of storytelling or artwork, and especially not in terms of longevity.  Now we have 2012 to 2018 for Valiant which actually outlasted the original Valiant from 1991 to 1996.  That wasn't supposed to happen. The artwork and storytelling has been top notch, with many fans preferring the current to the original versions of characters.  That wasn't supposed to happen.  Live-action Valiant stories were a pipe dream, but there's a completed 60-minute action story about to be released as a web series.  That wasn't supposed to happen.  Valiant getting their properties licensed by Sony wasn't supposed to happen.  Valiant getting $110,000,000+ investment from DMG wasn't supposed to happen.  Valiant announcing an actor as big as Vin Diesel starring in their first feature movie wasn't supposed to happen.

None of this was supposed to happen.  Since the internet is what it is, there are plenty who are "unimpressed" at each step along the way... but I've been constantly surprised by the heights that a dead universe that people barely remember has reached in the hands of a few fans who became the creative and executive team for Valiant.  We're talking about actors who should have said "I'm not bothering with a company that tiny" saying "yes, that would be cool, let's do it."

It will all end someday.  Valiant isn't a household name, and even characters like Gamora are bigger names than anything Valiant has to offer... but it keeps on going.

I won't be surprised when it ends, but I've genuinely been surprised by the incredible streak of wins.

16 minutes ago, kimik said:

Hmm... I hear you.

Nonewithstanding what I wrote above, part of me thinks Jared Leto is a far more interesting choice for the part.

But Diesel is nothing if not a smart businessman. He may see this as a new franchise with 10 year potential (a la what Tom Cruise did with Mission Impossible -- 20 years & counting!)

A quick glance at his IMDB page shows it's nothing but big-budget sci-fi sequels (literally -- XXX 4, Riddick 4, Avengers 3 and Fast & the Furious 9 and 10).

He's also painfully aware that his star in the Fast & the Furious sequels is slowly being supplanted by that of The Rock. 

While he's not the same level of box office draw (or frankly -- actor) as The Rock, Diesel does have one of the largest -- and most engaged -- followings on social media -- that's a key competitive advantage that most other Hollywood A-listers can't touch.

3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Valiant announcing an actor as big as Vin Diesel starring in their first feature movie wasn't supposed to happen.

I thought all the articles said Valiant / Diesel havn't commented on the news. Was there a new article that said Valiant confirmed the rumors?

5 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I have been continuously surprised by what should have been the peak of Valiant success.  There was almost no one who believed that Valiant (2012) would rival the original Valiant in terms of storytelling or artwork, and especially not in terms of longevity.  Now we have 2012 to 2018 for Valiant which actually outlasted the original Valiant from 1991 to 1996.  That wasn't supposed to happen. The artwork and storytelling has been top notch, with many fans preferring the current to the original versions of characters.  That wasn't supposed to happen.  Live-action Valiant stories were a pipe dream, but there's a completed 60-minute action story about to be released as a web series.  That wasn't supposed to happen.  Valiant getting their properties licensed by Sony wasn't supposed to happen.  Valiant getting $110,000,000+ investment from DMG wasn't supposed to happen.  Valiant announcing an actor as big as Vin Diesel starring in their first feature movie wasn't supposed to happen.

None of this was supposed to happen.  Since the internet is what it is, there are plenty who are "unimpressed" at each step along the way... but I've been constantly surprised by the heights that a dead universe that people barely remember has reached in the hands of a few fans who became the creative and executive team for Valiant.  We're talking about actors who should have said "I'm not bothering with a company that tiny" saying "yes, that would be cool, let's do it."

It will all end someday.  Valiant isn't a household name, and even characters like Gamora are bigger names than anything Valiant has to offer... but it keeps on going.

I won't be surprised when it ends, but I've genuinely been surprised by the incredible streak of wins.

Yeah.

But Greg -- *something* needs to happen for Valiant to become anything more than a curiosity.

I discovered these boards through joining your ValiantFans boards back in 2004. VH1 was my childhood. I'm down to missing just 14 of the VH1 books (two of which are Bloodshot 0 gold and Bloodshot 0 platinum).

I'm also the guy who went back & built a set of Gold Key Magnus 1-46 in average CGC 9.6 (only one book -- # 37, is below 9.4, and 15 of them are 9.8s). 

And yet, I've only read 7 of the 2012-present Valiant books.

This new Valiant's survival for longer than the original VH1 universe is impressive, until you drill down and realize it's limping along at 1% market share in a vastly constricted comic book market vs. 25 years ago -- when it held a solid 12-15% share month after month.

If I'm reading this chart correctly, in November Valiant had just one book place in Diamond's top 150 books -- Ninjak # 1, placing at # 84 with 25,500 copies.

X-O and Bloodshot couldn't break 11,000 copies, and Harbinger -- once the jewel of the Valiant line, limped in at 6,500 copies.

Yeah - all it takes is one good -script and one A-list actor to bring this new universe into the mainstream.

But I've little faith.

It was already two years ago that the five-picture deal with Sony was announced, leading up to the shared universe Harbinger wars.

And after all the rumors (Brett Ratner, Jared Leto, now -- maybe -- Vin Diesel) all we've seen is a trailer for a YouTube webisode series.

Hate to say it, but -- as much as I think a Bloodshot film would be great (if Deathlok doesn't get there first), when it comes to Valiant film productions, "I'll believe it when I see it."

5 hours ago, valiantman said:

I am not criticizing Valiant's success. As a long time fan of the original comic line I am happy to see this forward progress. I am just not a huge fan of Vin Diesel as Bloodshot, unless the purpose is to kill him off and replace him with a younger lead at the end of the film, or better yet, have the nanite-infested blood captured/gathered at the end of the film with a chase for the "blood" background story occurring across Harbinger, X-O and EW feature films. Then you could tie it all together with a second Bloodshot film where someone new gets the blood and has to face off with/against other Valiant heroes.

Ninjak Vs The Valiant Universe Debut Date Announced

Ninjak Vs. The Valiant Universe will bring Valiant favorites like Ninjak, X-O Manowar, Livewire, Bloodshot, and more into a live-action digital series from Bat in the Sun Productions, and you can stream it on ComicBook.com starting on April 21st.

Following the premiere, the remaining five episodes will debut each day throughout the rest of the week, with the finale hitting on April 26. The formidable M16 Ninja Programme assassin Ninjak will go up against a gauntlet of Valiant's most popular heroes in a battle royale straight from the comics.

Part 1 is up on comicbook.com

Plan on watching a low-budget SyFy Channel episode of a Valiant-themed series and you might be surprised.

I'd say it beats Marvel's early first attempts at live action since it's not David-Hasselhoff-as-Nick-Fury-bad. :D

3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Part 1 is up on comicbook.com

Plan on watching a low-budget SyFy Channel episode of a Valiant-themed series and you might be surprised.

I'd say it beats Marvel's early first attempts at live action since it's not David-Hasselhoff-as-Nick-Fury-bad. :D

Captain America is not happy with your forgetfulness.

:insane:

I enjoyed it for what it was. I think this series is a good introduction to the Valiant characters. I was pretty impressed with the 1st episode. It wasn’t  a $200 million dollar marvel movie quality, but then again it isn’t supposed to be. If people going into it a reasonable perspective, I think they will be pleasantly surprised.

I think people will be disappointed. It looked like a You Tube movie exactly like those Character vs Character episodes. Nothing wrong with that per say, but
when you step and try to do something more you have to change your quality as well. This type of production is just years behind and as long as that's all
they want to be then its fine.