• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are signatures worth getting?
1 1

25 posts in this topic

I realize that having authenticated signatures on slabs is great, but do they actually add value to the book or is it just for showcasing? 

I've learned that some only get books slabbed with no signatures at all as it's believed that the signature ruins or devaluables a book. 

I mean I have books that are signed and graded, mainly those I've bought for a higher price, then later can't get rid of via a sale. And, some that are raw and signed at cons.

So I guess I'm a bit confused. Are signatures good or bad to get? Or does it just come down to simple preference. Thanks!

Edited by rogue14
Update

IMO, there's no simple answer. There are many collectors out there that hold a higher personal value to books without sigs and there are others that think the opposite. Placement of the sig is important as well. I've seen many books that have less than favorable sig placements and it seems to ruin the appeal of the book. I've also seen very well placed sigs that look great and seem to add a certain visual appeal. 

Personally, I've never been one to crack open my books and have them signed but I've purchased many slabbed, signed books that I liked quite a bit. Again, this is all based on my opinion for my collecting preferences. :foryou:

While sigs clearly add value to some sales, I believe that misplaced sigs or sigs like black sigs on black backgrounds for example..at times, can decrease the value of a book and make them harder to sell. 

As a collector though... in the end, it should come down to what you like personally. If I happen to like my books free of any writing or sigs or if I happen to have every single one signed and it increases/decreases their value, it shouldn't matter. If its for the pure sake of collecting, then I say.. get what makes you happy. 

In the end, I think well placed sigs, rare sigs and multiple sig books (for the completionists out there), will always find a home even if it takes a bit more time.  I also believe that there will always be those purists who prefer their books unscathed from the marks of others. 2c

Buy what you like and just have fun with it!:whee:

Ditto, I think this is a different-strokes-for-different-folks kind of deal. Me personally, on any "reasonably high-end" key, I prefer my books unsigned and blue-label. That's just the way I am. But some books which are sentimental, lower-value key or are very iconic, I like getting them signed by the person that mattered the most on the book. And agree with @Timeless icons, for me signature placement (and color) make a big difference.

The yellow label books I tend to get or be interested in fall into 2 camps. 1) Unique or cool cover, to get signed by the cover artist (ie. a Dell'Otto, Mattina, JSC, Natali Sanders, Granov variant cover, which is more for my personal collection); 2) A key book signed by a key creator, and again for me, only for books that aren't that high end (ie. Uncanny X-men 248, 1st Jim Lee art on X-Men, signed by Jim Lee; a Dawn or Cry For Dawn book signed J. Michael Linsner given he is essentially synonymous with Dawn). Whereas, for my ASM300 9.6, I have blue-label, and doubt I would ever crack it to get McFarlane's signature, even though that's an iconic book for him and his art. It's a bit "too high-end" of a key for me to want to get signed. Again just my preference.

I'm also someone who, rather than try to be completist and get all writer / artists on a book, I prefer just 1 signature, and usually by the person that matters the most on the book. Now, obviously that's a judgment call, but for example, I'd want just Donny Cates on any of his books since he's really the primary draw and reason for those books having gained steam, similarly would want just Tom King on the more recent Vision or Mr. Miracle, as it's the writing that really brought those books attention). 

This is just the way I prefer it - as is often noted on these boards though, get what you like!

If you have two raw, 9.2 copies of a regular book for sale, one with a signature and one without a signature and they are both the same price, the one with the signature will likely sell first or at a slight (10%) premium.

If you have a book signed by a creator or artist that has nothing to do with the book (i.e. Stan Lee on moderns), I will not buy it.

56 minutes ago, FN-2199 said:

If you have two raw, 9.2 copies of a regular book for sale, one with a signature and one without a signature and they are both the same price, the one with the signature will likely sell first or at a slight (10%) premium.

If you have a book signed by a creator or artist that has nothing to do with the book (i.e. Stan Lee on moderns), I will not buy it.

so in some cases there may be some math and research to do regarding the cost of the signature and the cost of grading and shipping, etc, vs your expected premium above an unsigned copy of the same grade.

I agree that if I'm going to get something signed I want it signed by someone who had a part in the production of the book. I'm not going to have Stan Lee sign a new Marvel Star Wars issue for instance. I have several books that are signed but I kind of feel like I've been there done that, and now I prefer to buy my books graded but unsigned. Also by buying the unsigned blue label books I save the often excessive premium charged for signed copies. I can afford a much higher grade book if I buy it unsigned which means I have more cash to add more books to my collection. But to each their own. I've found the experience of getting a book signed then witnessed by a CGC employee at a con to be bothersome and I feel it takes away from the experience of the Con because I'm chasing signatures all day rather than visiting booths and finding more cool comics. I tried to get Stan Lee's autograph once but my wife stood in line for hours without moving until we finally decided it just wasn't worth it. If I want a book with his signature bad enough I'll buy one online. Anyway just my two cents

Once upon a time, I was vehemently opposed to comics that are signed, authenticated, and slabbed.

While my opinion on the matter has certainly changed, I have developed my own personal system:

1. Anyone signing must have played a direct role in the production of the comic. For instance, I would never get Todd McFarlane to sign Spawn 155. He wasn't directly involved with that issue. I don't care if he created the character or the series itself.

2. Does the signature add to the aesthetic appeal of the comic? Bad signature placement can ruin the looks of a comic, so I'm picky in this regard. I nearly always have my comics "windowed for signing" during the prepping process.

3. Does the artwork allow for a clean signature? I don't care for signatures on comics with busy cover art.

Even then, I occasionally make an exception. For example, I am planning on having a book signed by an actor who portrayed a comic character in a big-budget, Hollywood film. The character is featured on the cover. That's an exception to rule one.

I also think there are two ways to approach an answer to your question.

1. Are you getting them signed in the hopes of increasing the value of the comic? If so, then your actions will be limited. Lesser known artists can certainly devalue a comic with their signatures. Conversely, signatures from blockbuster artists can increase the value of the comic. An example would be Frank Frazetta. His signature on a roll of toilet paper would probably go for at least $100. Maybe I'm joking, but perhaps not.

2. Are you getting them signed for your own pleasure and satisfaction? In that case, who cares what the signature does to the value of the comic?

At the end of the day, do what makes you happy. Just keep in mind that a significant number of collectors view signatures as defects that ruin the appeal of a comic. So, by getting a book signed, you're automatically reducing your pool of customers. It's kind of like admitting on your online dating profile that you smoke cigarettes. That automatically reduces your chances of a date on Saturday night, even though many others will actually find something in common with you.

And never move forward automatically assuming that a signature will always double or triple a comic's value.

I say signatures can be totally awesome! I have a Dave Sim signature and sketch that looks amazing and I get excited every time I look at it. Same with my Gaiman and Miller signatures. They make me happy. While the presence of their signatures, in my opinion, make the books far more valuable, it's a win-win situation for me.

In the comic game, always ask what will make you happy...

if you always ask what will make you money...

you might find disappointment instead of enjoyment from the hobby.

Happy hunting!

-Shane

48 minutes ago, poppy73 said:

I've found the experience of getting a book signed then witnessed by a CGC employee at a con to be bothersome and I feel it takes away from the experience of the Con because I'm chasing signatures all day rather than visiting booths and finding more cool comics. I tried to get Stan Lee's autograph once but my wife stood in line for hours without moving until we finally decided it just wasn't worth it.

This is precisely why I pay other people (rather handsomely, I may add) to do this stuff for me. :)

...and they seem more than happy to oblige. At the end of the day, I'm just as thrilled with the product as they are with the money. Everyone goes home happy.

I can happily recommend a few boardies who can help you out.

Thanks so much for the feedback!

Definitely have a lot of thinking to do with regards to the direction I want to go with my collecting. I have gotten a few signed and graded for my pleasure. After a while I usually decide to sell one copy to upgrade in grade or to make a larger purchase.

I've noticed when I do the running around at cons the experience is lost just like poppy73 mentioned.

Guess I'll have to save up some to pay others like newshane suggested.

Darn those responsibilities! 

One more personal rule...

generally speaking, I will pass on signed books older than 40 years...

I still absolutely detest silver age comics that have been signed.

On 8/30/2017 at 8:46 PM, rogue14 said:

I mean I have books that are signed and graded, mainly those I've bought for a higher price, then later can't get rid of via a sale. 

I don't follow the marketplace for SS books but I've always suspected they may be difficult to sell. Personally, I'd rather put my money into the grade of the book as opposed to a Signature.  

I think the market for people who want a signed book is smaller than the people that don't.  So from a resale perspective, you have a smaller window of buyers to entice.    Stan Lee, in my opinion, has signed sooooo many books in his lifetime, that there will never be any shortage, even of the good stuff that he worked on.  If you see his signature on modern book that he had nothing to do with, that is just silly.  Even worse if it was a character he had nothing to do with (Deadpool for example).   I always thought it was better to get a print of the comic book cover you want signed.    But we are all different.  I just don't put a premium on a signed book. 

Edited by Mercury Man

15 hours ago, newshane said:

In the comic game, always ask what will make you happy...

if you always ask what will make you money...

you might find disappointment instead of enjoyment from the hobby.

Well said... Only a very small percentage of collectors ever get rich collecting comic books so as Newshane said do what makes you happy!

2 hours ago, poppy73 said:

Well said... Only a very small percentage of collectors ever get rich collecting comic books so as Newshane said do what makes you happy!

I think the OP said he thinks signatures are great BUT his question is 'do they actually add value to the book or is it just for showcasing? '.  I'm curious myself as I have doubts, in the long term, the valuation on signed books will hold up. 

Yea, most books I get signed I keep. Eventually I sure they'll come a time where I'll need to sell or pass on the collection so figured I'd ask to see what the consensus is with the you all.

I honestly have no idea since we all have our own preferences. Guess just gotta hope for the best.

13 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:
2 hours ago, poppy73 said:

I think the OP said he thinks signatures are great BUT his question is 'do they actually add value to the book or is it just for showcasing? '.  I'm curious myself as I have doubts, in the long term, the valuation on signed books will hold up. 

I think the general answer is: it depends. And I know that sounds like a cop-out, but there's just too many factors to have blanket rules.

Factors include but are not limited to: Keyness of comic, condition of comic, rarity of comic, rarity of comic in high grade, collectability market for that comics characters or plots, comic potential for movie/tv, comic cover, price of comic, current market price of comic relative to potential maximum value of comic, which sig it is, rarity of  sig relative to market demand for sig, popularity of creator, cost of signer sig, age of creator sig, number of CGC SS already out there for that creator or that comic, and CHANGES for any of the previously mentioned attributes.

For example, Frank Miller has now signed a zillion comic in the past two years, so his sig on junk isn't worth so much anymore, but his sig on cool 9.8 coppers has become more available and in most cases added more value than the cost of his signature.  And that could be said for a lot of artists, to be honest.   But for a long time his signed comics were worth a lot because he signed so rarely.

Another example, you might have Todd McFarlane comic you bought for $5.  It happens to be high grade, so you could sell it right now raw for $10.  Doubled your money, profit $5.  But if you invest $20 more to get it slabbed, you can sell it for $50 if it hits 9.8, but at 9.6 you break even and have wasted 3 months where your cash was locked up.  So yourmax  expected profit amount is higher, but your expected PERCENTAGE profit is lower because of the risk of getting 9.6. OR if you get it signed by Todd Mcfarlane for $95, you've invested $100 total but have a pretty good chance of getting a 9.8 and selling for $150. But if you hit 9.6 its only a $75 dollar comic and you lose money, so an even lower expected ROI %. 

Each person has to decide for themselves what they look for in terms of value, risk, and absolute ROI vs percentage ROI, and their own collecting preferences.  But I'd say very few people are getting CGC SS for the purpose of long-term flip...

I may be wrong but isn't the appeal of getting a comic signed the personalized aspect of it ? It was worth it to YOU to stand in line and pay the fees to get a favorite comic signed by your favorite artist. However, that may not translate into someone else paying a premium in the secondary market. How does a collector liquidating his SS books assign FMV ? I have a feeling that the Bid and Asked for SS books are wider than normal.

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

However, that may not translate into someone else paying a premium in the secondary market. How does a collector liquidating his SS books assign FMV ? I have a feeling that the Bid and Asked for SS books are wider than normal.

A lot of it depends on factors that, when analyzed, are pretty logical:

(1) What is the condition of the book and how desirable is it?

(2) What is the rarity and desirability of the signature?

(3) How available is the combination of the grade and the signature?

A fair number of books trade often enough to have a GPA baseline. Those are what they are.

The real tough analysis is on books that rarely trade, oddities, rarities and legitimate one-of-a-kind (or no longer available) sigs.

You are exactly correct that the Bid and Ask is often a massive delta. Often you have to wait for the right purchaser that puts the same amount of emphasis on the (1)-(3) equation that the Seller does.

On 9/5/2017 at 8:23 PM, newshane said:

One more personal rule...

generally speaking, I will pass on signed books older than 40 years...

I still absolutely detest silver age comics that have been signed.

Curious why would you dislike signed silver age books?