• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay alert! Looks like another seller scam!

175 posts in this topic

just to state in a nutshell what i believe has occurred here so that it is obvious to all...

the scam was that someone "hired" someone else to perpetrate fraud on ebay. the "hirer-er" instructed the hiree to have the money deposited to an external account (in order to be cleanly laundered). the hiree was under the assumption she was merely doing a job, and the work she was doing was listing items on ebay.

good thing for all that we have caught the act before the auctions end.

and to Jamie - while these boards ARE quick to judge, they are also QUICK to understand the situation. btw - u can cancel auctions right until the last moment before they close, by simply cancelling all bids first.

Im sorry but I cannot use a phone. I dont like discussing this, but I have an inner ear disease, which causes pain distorts my ability to hear.

Sounds a bit dodgy to me. But you never know...

Im sorry but I cannot use a phone. I dont like discussing this, but I have an inner ear disease, which causes pain distorts my ability to hear.

Sounds a bit dodgy to me. But you never know...

This is why so many people get taken by scams every year. You can have proof staring you in the face, but until the scammer says "OK, I did it!" some people still want to give them the benefit of the doubt or speculate that the scammer might still be legitimate.

And then there are those people who will say "Maybe someone forced them to confess and they're really innocent?"

Pull your head out. It is a scam.

some people still want to give them the benefit of the doubt or speculate that the scammer might still be legitimate.

back in the earlier days (on the order of 2 years or so) - rickdogg was comic auction vigilante on ebay - contacting high bidders on fraudulent auctions.

some bidders were actually contacting ebay telling them of some guy who was allegedly telling them not to bid on those auctions because he (rickdogg) wanted to win the auctions himself at lower prices (!)

some people just can't be helped.

Interesting story, I just started reading this. By the way, I will assume that Sandra Lovell is a guy. I think some scammers use a woman's name in order to sound more legit, honest and sympathetic. foreheadslap.gif

Jamie.. from what you have told me.. this was a scam from day 1.

She has ultra HG comics.. knows comics well.. but would rather not get top dollar for them by selling them RAW through YOU a new Ebay seller?

Cmon.. that right there is enough.

3 Day auctions on Ultra HG Key books?

Cmon...

She wanted you to deposit the money in a lump sum, into a bank accnt that she gave you the accnt # for?

And now with all that is at stake, she wont even go through a little discomfort to assure you that she is for real, because it hurts her ear?

Cmon....

And lastly.. many of the books I saw listed are indeed in CGC holders.. you can clearly see the plastic innerwell. As she said to you earlier.... "Would she not want the most money she could get if the books were indeed graded and certified by CGC?.....why would she sell them as RAW?...Because that would mean she would also have to supply the serial # that each book is assigned if it was a CGC com,icbook auction. And that is a way to trace/track the books.

I cannot prove any of this at this moment(aside from the scans listed).. but I would bet my life she is a scammer on some level. And you should get out.

How best to protect yourself, and not violate any contracts you signed.. I have no idea.. not my area to be giving advice on.

Or what route to take to preserve your Ebay account.

I just know she is working you over. And this was a lesson learned the hard way for you.

I appreciate you not wanting to burn any bridges, or do anything out of turn that is unjust, on unproven at present.

But listen to the good people here.. she is scamming you.

And will talk circles around you every chance she gets.

Does she know about this thread?.. or that anyone but you is really "on to her"?

Kenny

I have an inner ear disease, which causes pain distorts my ability to hear.

Consequently, i do not own a phone and don't use one.

Send her an email to this effect...

**I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble corresponding with you through email. You see...I have a hangnail and it is all I can do to type this final letter to you. If you wish to talk to me in the future, I'm afraid you will have to call me on the phone.**

Better yet, tell her that the cops will be contacting her soon, and you will be sure to let them know to bring along an interpreter that knows sign language.

(I thought you said you found a phone listing for her. Funny how she no longer has one.) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

100% scam. Call the cops, as FFB suggested. crazy.gif

Just a thought, but if anybody here has a "throwaway" Ebay account you can put in ridiculously high bids for all these books (if not cancelled before the end) to ensure that you win them so that no innocent buyers end up PayPal-ing really quick and then have to deal with the refund fiasco. confused-smiley-013.gif

After this mess is straightened out and the scam is exposed Jamie can then get a refund on the Ebay fees.

Okay,

Would anyone like to complain about the over-zealousness of the folks here?

It certainly looks like a scammer has been smoked out...and had nearly tricked Jamie into committing money laundering/wire fraud. "inner ear disease" my 893censored-thumb.gif

If Jamie is really the "innocent in the middle" which she appears to be...whom should she pass all of this info on to? Local authorities, ebay, paypal 27_laughing.gif I mean this looks equal to a Danny Boy ripoff and there probably isn't any reason to believe that someone else hasn't been snookered into being this person's "assistant". This doesn't look like just a simple scam, but felony level midconduct.

It's a scam. Call the cops. Seriously.

"Inner ear disease"????27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif That's a new one.

exactly. I'm even betting that this person is not a woman but an alien from outer space set out to exploit comic collectors... errr...nevermind.

None of this makes any sense. Who would be naive enough to actually sell items they do not have possession of, all on the trust that some mysterious online entity will actually send the items? And if these items are not sent, then this person must understand he/she will be liable for all losses and potential criminal charges.

For example, if I emailed this seller that I had 40 tons of gold bullion I needed a TA for, she'd immediately start selling it off, 10 ounces a shot, and then forward the money to my offshore bank account? Hello!

Is this for real, or is it just a way for the actual seller to slide under the radar by using this unbelieveable story as an excuse?

Wow, I just added up the total so far and it's at over $4,000 in completed auctions, not counting tonight's action.

If the seller is telling the truth, then I sincerely hope NONE of this money has been forwarded to the mysterious online entity's numbered account.

now you know for sure there is no easy money in life, you have to work for it...

actually... if you want to make some good money with little effort... buy all the spawn comics you can, in a few years they will be worth thousands, if you can wait that long.

I don't think everything is as it seems here.

Give us some of your theories..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well con men are good; they certainly could have cooked up the "I am an innocent middlewoman story." Why has nothing been added on the current auctions like "Beware - stay away" in big red font. Is there really no way to end auctions within the last 12 hr. or remove bidders ?

Ok I read all of your postings and some I appreciate, some I don't. The bottom line is that I know I am innocent and felt like it was a good idea to share with you all what was going on, and if you don't believe it, then I'm sorry, but I don't care. What am I going to do...sit here and defend myself to a bunch of people I don't even know? I sat here and typed a big explanation to you guys and some of the replies I have read are ridiculous. Yeah, I can understand that you are trying to look at every angle, but this is what it is, nothing more, nothing less.

"Sandra Lovell" probably is a guy---I wondered that too. No, money doesn't come easily---excuse the heck out of me for thinking it did for a short while. Whoever the person was that was judging me by saying that I should have known not to get involved right from the beginning and that it makes it sound like I might be lying (not in so many words), you have no idea what you are talking about. Of course I had doubts the whole time, but those doubts were also equally balanced with things that made me think things were legit and fine. I'm just wondering who on this board is perfect? I guess I am the only one who has been taken by a scammer huh? Whatever. I wanted to list on here because Ze-Man told me I should to try to clear my name and give everyone a chance to know what really happened. Some of you seem to know what is going on and some of you just want to draw more conclusions. Like I have said before and I will say it again, I know I am a good person and that I have done nothing wrong. I have no frieken criminal record. I have worked all of my adult life and never asked for anything for free. I am not a loser, a drugee, a weirdo. I am a person with priorities, goals, and ambitions in life. I take pride in my skills as a mother and I feel that the morals I teach my girls are going to stay with them the rest of their lives. I have a good head on my shoulders and my kids look up to me.

Yes, Davescomics as well as everyone else who won auctions will get there money back if this is a scam. I have ALL of the money that everyone paid, none has been deposited into "Sandra Lovell's" account. It would have been today, had Ze-Man not emailed me. Thank you again for that. As for the person who mentioned something about me getting my Ebay fees back---is that possible? If so, that would be great, as I thought I would get stuck with those.

I have emailed "Sandra" again and asked her if she could meet me somewhere and she said yes, she lives in Bullhead City. I asked her if she could tell me the handle of the two other people who work for her and she has not responded to that yet. Yes, I agree that the inner ear disease thing is stupid and sounds weird, but like someone said, "YOU NEVER KNOW." Here's what it boils down to---if this turns out to not be a scam, I will be sooooooooooo mad if I let this job go based on other people's opinions that this was a scam. On the other hand, if it is a scam, I have Ze-Man and the people who actually believed me to thank! That is what I am trying to get across to all of you---HOW CAN I PROVE THIS IS A SCAM??? I liked the idea of setting up ebay ID's that are not real just to see. I thought about doing something like that myself. Basically I just need one transaction to go through successfully. If a buyer pays, I pay her, she ships the item, gives me the tracking info, and the buyer gets his book, it's legit right? How can I be completely sure without doing something like that to prove it? As for the stuff Ze-Man is saying about CGC, raw, etc....I don't completely get that---sorry. Maybe you could explain that again to me? You are saying that she would make more if her books were in the innerwell??? And if they are in an innerwell, why would she not sell them that way??? Please explain to me again. Thanks.

As for ending auctions early---if you go on there onto an item you are selling and you click on "END ITEM" for an item that is ending in less than 12 hours, you will see a message that says you cannot end an item that is ending in 12 hours or less---and it also lists a couple of other reasons a listing cannot be terminated.

The person who told me to email her with "I have a hangnail," you are so funny. Thanks for the good laugh!!!! That cracked me up.

At this point, I don't know what to do. I have'nt even answered people's questions about the comics all night because I don't know what to say to them yet. I didn't want to jump the gun and post a bunch of stuff on Ebay about my comics being a scam, if they were not. I just didn't and don't know what to do yet.

To answer your question Ze-Man, "Sandra" knows that I have received emails questioning the comics and she knows that someone called me from this forum, but I did not tell her your name, nor did I give her the link to the website. I do not know if she is familiar with this site or not---I had never heard of it till today. If she is a scammer, I really don't give a [#@$%!!!] what she reads on here.

Jamie