• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signed 9.8s?

2 posts in this topic

Hey there. Starting to collect comics again after a 25yr hiatus and just getting back up to speed ( with so many variants now, its hard to keep track).  I went on a tear as of late buying a bunch of 9.8s SS Deadpools and Wolverines comics, but thinking I need to be more educated and strategic with my buys. Right now, I'm eyeing a set of Deadpool kills Marvel again Liefeld & Lee variant signed 9.8 cgc ss.... but they're asking for 500 for the virgin and color copy.  Is it crazy to spend that much on it? I also saw a set of the same but its the KRS variant signed by Bunn & Kirkham for a lot less at 9.8... no idea why Im drawn to SS, but am... does the signer really dictate that big gap in pricing?

15 minutes ago, JLam1127 said:

Hey there. Starting to collect comics again after a 25yr hiatus and just getting back up to speed ( with so many variants now, its hard to keep track).  I went on a tear as of late buying a bunch of 9.8s SS Deadpools and Wolverines comics, but thinking I need to be more educated and strategic with my buys. Right now, I'm eyeing a set of Deadpool kills Marvel again Liefeld & Lee variant signed 9.8 cgc ss.... but they're asking for 500 for the virgin and color copy.  Is it crazy to spend that much on it? I also saw a set of the same but its the KRS variant signed by Bunn & Kirkham for a lot less at 9.8... no idea why Im drawn to SS, but am... does the signer really dictate that big gap in pricing?

A good place to start is the GPA website. It's not perfect, but a good look at the public sales data on a certain book will give you a good idea of it's marketable value.

Also, rarity partially dictates a comic's value. Most variants are purposefully rare, but still command premiums because there is a (volatile) market for them. Keep in mind that It's best to let some books "cool down" before buying. Most of the latest "hot" variants have little staying power. There are exceptions, but it's like winning the lottery.

Some sellers demand crazy premiums for signatures, and it's usually not worth it. If you are into buying the latest variants, it's best to do business with some of the professionals on the board who are willing to do the legwork for you. It's usually much cheaper to hire it done for yourself than to buy the latest signed comic from an eBay dealer or flipper.

Hope this helps and welcome to the boards. Send me a PM and I can provide references for trustworthy people who can get your books signed.