• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America 1941 "Sentinels of Liberty" Club Membership Set
1 1

33 posts in this topic

On 9/19/2017 at 3:57 AM, detective35 said:

Just picked this up from Harry Matetsky's collection!  I've always thought this is one of the best premiums to have, especially complete.  Harry upgraded the membership card in it.

IMG_4400.PNG

IMG_4401.PNG

IMG_4402.PNG

IMG_4403.PNG

If Harry "upgraded" the membership card does that mean that he has/had the membership card for Carl Von Hake?

Too bad.  It's funny though that his mailing envelope survived; his one of a kind "Thank You for Joining the Club" postcard survived; his badge (if that is indeed his badge pictured) survived; but not his membership card :cry:

Edited by pemart1966

On 1/21/2019 at 8:28 AM, CBass said:

Just looking for some confirmation.....but the Copper version is more sought after, over the brass version...right?

I don't know whether one version is more sought after than the other.  In fact, I think that I'd need them side by side to tell the difference (should have paid more attention in chemistry lol).

Speaking of differences, the cards have some interesting differences (generally speaking that is - I have found 1 exception since posting this :

1.  Early cards have light blue band, border, words and Cap image - later ones have darker blue.

2.  On early cards, the "A" on Cap's mask is pointed.  Later versions have it blunted.

3.  Early cards have the membership number printed in red as "No xxxxx" with a period under the "o". Later versions have just the membership number printed in red.

These changes seem to have occurred around membership number 20,000.

4.  After the membership numbers changed to red, the font of the membership number changed.

5.  Early cards have the oath in 5 lines while later cards have the same oath but over 6 lines - this change seems to have occurred later on compared to the other changes listed above.

Edited by pemart1966

3 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

I don't know whether one version is more sought after than the other.  In fact, I think that I'd need them side by side to tell the difference (should have paid more attention in chemistry lol).

Speaking of differences, the cards have some interesting differences (generally speaking that is - I have found 1 exception since posting this :

1.  Early cards have light blue band, border, words and Cap image - later ones have darker blue.

2.  On early cards, the "A" on Cap's mask is pointed.  Later versions have it blunted.

3.  Early cards have the membership number printed in red as "No xxxxx" with a period under the "o". Later versions have just the membership number printed in red.

These changes seem to have occurred around membership number 20,000.

4.  After the membership numbers changed to red, the font of the membership number changed.

5.  Early cards have the oath in 5 lines while later cards have the same oath but over 6 lines - this change seems to have occurred later on compared to the other changes listed above.

Slightly thicker border framing Cap's image on version one.  Looks like they completely redrew Cap later on as well.   

Who knows why, ...even though the color registration is a bit off on the early version the art looks great!  (thumbsu

Apparently the changeover was much later than 20,000 as this card's number 34648...

image_zpstsqgh2mo.jpeg

Here's a larger scan of the brass badge...

image_zpseu80w834.jpeg

Edited by Cat-Man_America

I thought that I had noticed that last night re the faces but since it was late I thought that my old eyes may have been playing tricks on me.  This morning reveals that they had NOT played tricks on me lol

They clearly re-drew the face on the later version - it looks more like an Al Avison version as opposed to the earlier generic version.  

I'd like to document as many of these existing memberships as possible.  If you have any, please post them.  Thanks!

...and if anyone has any information on the cub itself please post it!

Hello every one !

I'm a student in History and I'm working about Captain America Comics during WWII.

This topic shows really intresting for my research. So, any informations concerning the Sentinels of Liberty (like the origin of the membership items) could be useful !!

Don't hesitate to provide any tips or references !

Hello every one !

I'm a student in History and I'm working about Captain America Comics during WWII.

This topic shows really intresting for my research. So, any informations concerning the Sentinels of Liberty (like the origin of the membership items) could be useful !!

Don't hesitate to provide any tips or references !

On 1/28/2019 at 11:24 AM, pemart1966 said:

I thought that I had noticed that last night re the faces but since it was late I thought that my old eyes may have been playing tricks on me.  This morning reveals that they had NOT played tricks on me lol

They clearly re-drew the face on the later version - it looks more like an Al Avison version as opposed to the earlier generic version.  

I'd like to document as many of these existing memberships as possible.  If you have any, please post them.  Thanks!

...and if anyone has any information on the cub itself please post it!

Generic? ...Or perhaps a Jack Kirby illustration (S&K's business involvement with Timely was severed by Martin Goodman after the 10th issue, so there might've been a legal angle to changing the art).  hm

5 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Generic? ...Or perhaps a Jack Kirby illustration (S&K's business involvement with Timely was severed by Martin Goodman after the 10th issue, so there might've been a legal angle to changing the art).  hm

I don't see any Kirby in it (shrug)   but maybe others do...

5 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

I don't see any Kirby in it (shrug)   but maybe others do...

This clearly could be Kirby’s design, but I haven’t seen any comparable illustrations to validate it.  If so, it appears he took a bit more care on facial details and musculature in Cap’s salute for the card depiction.  The wings and star appear more quickly rendered and slightly off kilter.  There are examples of Kirby art from the period where less attention was paid to getting the costume just right. hm

This is the same card design depicted in house ads in early Caps.  Don’t know if there’s a clear changeover date for the card art, but I suspect it was after issue #11.

The brass badge apparently continued through the changeover in card images, then at some point shifted to copper, so it looks like there’s a Version 3 to the Sentinels of Liberty sets.  It will be interesting to see how much of this we can actually nail down.

:tink:

Edited by Cat-Man_America