• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All 9.8 graded created equal?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Boy oh boy, they are SO NOT all created equal! White will always bring a premium (how much depends on the book in question).  Off White/White is next and Off White is last (of the 3).  Some collectors won't accept anything less than white in a 9.8 some are ok with ow/w.  Silver age and older DCs with white pages bring quite a premium.  I guess it's relative to the book is what I'm getting at here! 

3 minutes ago, Mystafo said:

Boy oh boy, they are SO NOT all created equal! White will always bring a premium (how much depends on the book in question).  Off White/White is next and Off White is last (of the 3).  Some collectors won't accept anything less than white in a 9.8 some are ok with ow/w.  Silver age and older DCs with white pages bring quite a premium.  I guess it's relative to the book is what I'm getting at here! 

Ok I'm referring to amazing spider-man #83 & 138. Would there be a huge difference between white pages & ow to white with these in particular?

If white brings any premium over ow/w on these it would be very minimal, unless there was one guy out there with a run of ASM with all white pages then he might be willing to pay a little bit more for those if was missing them.  Otherwise, not much difference to the avg. buyer.

5 minutes ago, Mystafo said:

If white brings any premium over ow/w on these it would be very minimal, unless there was one guy out there with a run of ASM with all white pages then he might be willing to pay a little bit more for those if was missing them.  Otherwise, not much difference to the avg. buyer.

What a relief!! I was worried about there being a substantial difference! Just baught a ASM 138 ow/w while passing on another white with roughly 80 dollar difference

5 minutes ago, Mystafo said:

Nah I think you're ok...I sure as heck wouldn't pay 80 more for white!

edit-sorry, I accidentally put "would" at first!

Oh ok it was actually 100 if you count shipping. I made a reasonable offer for the white but it was declined right away

Plus the white was a cbcs the one I got was cgc

Edited by MGsimba77
Mistake

35 minutes ago, Mystafo said:

I think you're better off saving the 100 bucks...hell that's another cool book!

What's your take on varying sketches on covers by the artists? Would a more detailed venom sketched like this one for example fetch higher value than a comparable book with a Spiderman face sketch?

IMG_20170923_170934.jpg

Edited by MGsimba77
Mistake

That's a matter of preference, but I will say that I would MUCH rather the Venom remark since it alludes to his development afterwards.  Just my humble opinion.  SS is a hard thing to value sometimes...alot depends upon sig placement and quality of the remark.

Edited by Mystafo

39 minutes ago, Mystafo said:

That's a matter of preference, but I will say that I would MUCH rather the Venom remark since it alludes to his development afterwards.  Just my humble opinion.  SS is a hard thing to value sometimes...alot depends upon sig placement and quality of the remark.

(ps. we're not supposed to post book graded by the other grading companies, so maybe crop off the top or take the image down)

K thanks. That one I recently bought.

I'm considering ASM 83 9.8 by CGC ow/w pages for 1700. Hard to find this one auctioned or sold anywhere! I really want it but I think it's too high. What say you?

20 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

I'm considering ASM 83 9.8 by CGC ow/w pages for 1700. Hard to find this one auctioned or sold anywhere! I really want it but I think it's too high. What say you?

I'm sorry but all your posts are questions on valuation for books you want to buy. At some point I really think you need to do your own home work. 

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 5:34 PM, MGsimba77 said:

You could consider subscribing to GPA or GoCollect and also check out the final hammer prices Comic Link auctions. Those are some services which could give you an idea on pricing.

Regarding your previous questions about page quality, it seems that White pages will go for about 10-15% higher than OW/W. That seems like a ball park figure for bronze age Spideys like you are looking at.  

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 5:34 PM, MGsimba77 said:

You can most likely buy a 9.6 for around $500.  Doubt you could even tell the difference if they were side by side with the labels hidden. 

On 9/27/2017 at 10:53 AM, chrisco37 said:

You can most likely buy a 9.6 for around $500.  Doubt you could even tell the difference if they were side by side with the labels hidden. 

It's almost impossible to find that issue in a higher grade. The census count is low. Doesn't grading involve more than just the covers?

On 9/26/2017 at 4:36 PM, FN-2199 said:

You could consider subscribing to GPA or GoCollect and also check out the final hammer prices Comic Link auctions. Those are some services which could give you an idea on pricing.

Regarding your previous questions about page quality, it seems that White pages will go for about 10-15% higher than OW/W. That seems like a ball park figure for bronze age Spideys like you are looking at.  

Yes I have subscribed thank you. I think however that GPS includes group sales on their lists. That would seem ridiculous but I read in another thread that's what they do. I found another site however + heritage has information as well.