• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collection passed down from my dad. Should I consider having CGC grade my Famous Monster Magazines? Is it worth it?

10 posts in this topic

Hello, new member here.

I was given a large Famous Monster of Filmland Magazine collection from my father about 10 years ago. They have been sitting in storage with my family ever since and I am considering selling them. I have personally individually sleeved each one. About 10 of the ~170 are CGC graded(most 9.0+).

After perusing and doing some research online for pricing(https://www.nostomania.com/servlets/com.nostomania.PowerResearchItemsServlet?runId=2&pcat=magazines), ebay, and mycomicshop.com, I have noticed that CGC graded magazines sell for much more than uncertified copies. For some of the lower number issues, do you think it would be wise to have them sent in to be graded? (Issues #19 and below)

I don't want to spend $40 for grading a magazine that may only be worth $30-$50, for example.

Edit: Could someone breakdown the Services and Fees page for me? I am confused by the differences between them.

https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/services-fees/

Edited by jou13

1 hour ago, jou13 said:

Hello, new member here.

I was given a large Famous Monster of Filmland Magazine collection from my father about 10 years ago. They have been sitting in storage with my family ever since and I am considering selling them. I have personally individually sleeved each one. About 10 of the ~170 are CGC graded(most 9.0+).

After perusing and doing some research online for pricing(https://www.nostomania.com/servlets/com.nostomania.PowerResearchItemsServlet?runId=2&pcat=magazines), ebay, and mycomicshop.com, I have noticed that CGC graded magazines sell for much more than uncertified copies. For some of the lower number issues, do you think it would be wise to have them sent in to be graded? (Issues #19 and below)

I don't want to spend $40 for grading a magazine that may only be worth $30-$50, for example.

Edit: Could someone breakdown the Services and Fees page for me? I am confused by the differences between them.

https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/services-fees/

First, you need to ascertain the FMV of each book. Knowing that will enable you to choose the proper CGC tier to submit your books in. To ascertain FMV, you will need to assign a grade to each of your books. I would only advise sending in the higher grade books else, you are correct, you will be losing money. If you don't know how to grade, I would advise getting somebody trustworthy to help you. Good luck.

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

First, you need to ascertain the FMV of each book. Knowing that will enable you to choose the proper CGC tier to submit your books in. To ascertain FMV, you will need to assign a grade to each of your books. I would only advise sending in the higher grade books else, you are correct, you will be losing money. If you don't know how to grade, I would advise getting somebody trustworthy to help you. Good luck.

Thank you, I will do my research the best I can. It will be difficult for someone with little to no experience because it can be easy to be swindled by comic book/magazine shops and sellers.

I've heard CGC does pre-screenings on comics. Do they do pre-screenings on magazines too? Do you think this is a good route to take on some of the more valuable ones?

https://www.cgccomics.com/services/prescreen.asp

For example, I could send in 25 of my highest valued magazines and set a pre-screen of 7.5, I will only be charged(and a small fee for those that weren't) for those that fall above 7.5 grading and those would be slabbed and certified.

If I choose the walkthrough grading, who decides the FMV for each magazine? It says they charge 2% on FMV ($80 Min).

Edited by jou13

10 hours ago, jou13 said:

Thank you, I will do my research the best I can. It will be difficult for someone with little to no experience because it can be easy to be swindled by comic book/magazine shops and sellers.

I've heard CGC does pre-screenings on comics. Do they do pre-screenings on magazines too? Do you think this is a good route to take on some of the more valuable ones?

https://www.cgccomics.com/services/prescreen.asp

For example, I could send in 25 of my highest valued magazines and set a pre-screen of 7.5, I will only be charged(and a small fee for those that weren't) for those that fall above 7.5 grading and those would be slabbed and certified.

If I choose the walkthrough grading, who decides the FMV for each magazine? It says they charge 2% on FMV ($80 Min).

Yes, prescreen would be a good option. Remember, they do charge something nominal for the rejects = you should still get approximate grades on your books going in. I would definitley go higher than 7.5 for the prescreen. Look at E-Bay sales on this title and see what brings in decent money. I'm thinking a minimal of 9.0 but that's just a hunch guess. Double check, as I seem to recall you cannot prescreen magazines but hopefully I am wrong on that. Don't choose walkthru on these. Too expensive. 

7 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Yes, prescreen would be a good option. Remember, they do charge something nominal for the rejects = you should still get approximate grades on your books going in. I would definitley go higher than 7.5 for the prescreen. Look at E-Bay sales on this title and see what brings in decent money. I'm thinking a minimal of 9.0 but that's just a hunch guess. Double check, as I seem to recall you cannot prescreen magazines but hopefully I am wrong on that. Don't choose walkthru on these. Too expensive. 

Do you know how much they charge per reject? I just threw out 7.5 as an artificial number, though actually 7.5 would work for some of the magazines. For example there are a select few from my collection that go for several hundred even at a 7.5 grading. First and foremost my 2, 7, and 9 issues are worth having graded.

Why would you  suggest not going walkthrough on my magazines? Just looking at the numbers it looks much cheaper. Walkthrough is only 2% of the FMV while the other options are $55 and $37 for each magazine. Unless I am completely missing something. Not to mention walkthrough turnaround is the same day.

Edited by jou13

Your father evidently knew about CGC but chose to leave most raw.

Study the ten graded books you have, until you understand what defects caused the books to get the grades they have.

Then start comparing the raw books to them.

1 hour ago, jou13 said:

Do you know how much they charge per reject? I just threw out 7.5 as an artificial number, though actually 7.5 would work for some of the magazines. For example there are a select few from my collection that go for several hundred even at a 7.5 grading. First and foremost my 2, 7, and 9 issues are worth having graded.

Why would you  suggest not going walkthrough on my magazines? Just looking at the numbers it looks much cheaper. Walkthrough is only 2% of the FMV while the other options are $55 and $37 for each magazine. Unless I am completely missing something. Not to mention walkthrough turnaround is the same day.

I think it's 5 or 6 dollars per reject but not sure on magazines. I think it's at their discretion depending on what percentage of book pass. Regarding the Walkthough tier, there is MINIMUM charge of 80.00 per magazine (150.00 on a comic book). Also, there is no Prescreen for Walkthrough. 

4 hours ago, shadroch said:

Your father evidently knew about CGC but chose to leave most raw.

Study the ten graded books you have, until you understand what defects caused the books to get the grades they have.

Then start comparing the raw books to them.

My father never sent in any of his magazines to be graded. I know for a fact that he purchased his slabbed magazines online years ago.

Thank you, will take your advice.

I think it's 5 or 6 dollars per reject but not sure on magazines. I think it's at their discretion depending on what percentage of book pass. Regarding the Walkthough tier, there is MINIMUM charge of 80.00 per magazine (150.00 on a comic book). Also, there is no Prescreen for Walkthrough. 

Eeeek! I wasn't aware it was an $80 per magazine! I will definitely have to consider what I will be sending in with a fine tooth comb.

9 hours ago, jou13 said:

Eeeek! I wasn't aware it was an $80 per magazine! I will definitely have to consider what I will be sending in with a fine tooth comb.

I'm glad you now realize some of the challenges with submitting books. You may want to consider submitting just a few books, maybe the 3 lowered numbered ones you mentioned and see how it goes. You can submit in a lower (cheaper) tier. It will take longer but patience is a virtue in the submitting game. As you previously pointed out, even if they don't grade out high, at least there is value in the lower numbered books. The higher numbered books will probably need a higher grade to justify submission. Through the submission of the lower numbers you may learn a little more about grading. Lots of decisions, lots to learn, no easy button.