• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicArtTracker.com
3 3

369 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

Here's a great opportunity to test out the CAT tracking feature... ComicLink is ending Friday evening! So you can browse the whole auction and track your favs right from CAT-

http://comicarttracker.com/en/comiclink-auctions/2017-10-13

(Just keep in mind, prices are not up to the minute. So when you are ready to bid tomorrow, click through and sign into ComicLink for the most recent bid info.)

That's cool, hadn't thought of it! Thanks.

(And now we don't have to bid on everything anymore or assign tons of bookmarks just to 'track'!!)

1 hour ago, Panelfan1 said:

@NicoV love the website.

For the whats new section on the first page - it would be great if it were possible to sort the list. Example by art type (covers, interiors etc..) or by artist last name.. rather than just by source.

Unfortunately auction houses and dealers websites are not structured: most of them won't give any art type and some of them (Heritage, eBay or Catawiki for instance) don't even have a specific field with the artist name. You cannot organize / consolidate any set of data if they are not structured. And I can't hire several persons to tag new art the whole day. Not yet  ;-)

But regarding the home page "New original art" panel, why would you want them to be sorted by anything else than the date? The idea is to see the websites who listed art recently. What is your need? Can you give me a scenario of what you would like to do?

39 minutes ago, NicoV said:

Unfortunately auction houses and dealers websites are not structured: most of them won't give any art type and some of them (Heritage, eBay or Catawiki for instance) don't even have a specific field with the artist name. You cannot organize / consolidate any set of data if they are not structured. And I can't hire several persons to tag new art the whole day. Not yet  ;-)

But regarding the home page "New original art" panel, why would you want them to be sorted by anything else than the date? The idea is to see the websites who listed art recently. What is your need? Can you give me a scenario of what you would like to do?

Well in my case I might want to look for new cover or splash pages, paintings  etc.. only because loading is not too fast - so having it shorten the list - I can see those items only.  When i go to dealer or auction websites i often sort by category.  

The new section is great for a person like me who has a wide taste in art - but a focus on format ( interior vs. Covers). For example i never get sketches or sketch covers or comic strips - so having those out of the list makes the list more relavent.

Btw - its awesome what you have done by creating the site!

Thanks @Panelfan1  :)

I don't have any obvious answer for your need. At least not yet. Favorites can't really work with so large and generic searches (right now CAT finds more than 13,000 covers... don't think you want to sort them out). Maybe just open the whole list of newly listed art and use the browser' search feature.

7 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Just tried it out, and it's really good. 

Since it is still in Beta, is there any way you can increase the sharpness of the thumbnails for viewing (without slowing it down)? Sometimes, the detailing is too blurry. 

Jumping off of that, could you make them enlarge when you hover over them, like how Heritage's site does it?

It's so useful already!

38 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Since it is still in Beta, is there any way you can increase the sharpness of the thumbnails for viewing (without slowing it down)? Sometimes, the detailing is too blurry. 

Beta or not, ComicArtTracker will continue to evolve so you should always feel free to give your opinion or share any idea you could have for ComicArtTracker.com to offer a better service :) 

Regarding these thumbnails, I have two elements to take into account:

1. the sources often use thumbnails and I take them as they are (which means that I can't choose the format and if I display them bigger than on the original website, yes they are blurry)
  2. I could systematically use the full image but pages would be painfully slow to load

If you find a source where images are systematically (or often) blurry, feel free to tell me and I can try to find a solution for this specific source.

A global solution would be to resize the full images and store the result on my own server to use as thumbnails. But it would require bigger servers, so not for now.

In all cases, maybe it's not obvious (and I have to admit that I lack the courage and time to write an online help / FAQ page, not to mention my level of English) but... did you see that you can access a far better image by clicking on the thumbnail? Then you can navigate between images and you can also track relevant artworks (either with the buttons or with your keyword: left / right arrows to see previous / next item, T to track, D to discard and V to view on the original website) without having to come back to the list.

30 minutes ago, Twanj said:

Jumping off of that, could you make them enlarge when you hover over them, like how Heritage's site does it?

It's so useful already!

See my answer above. I could also have a "hover" card as on Heritage or ComicConnect but it would require to load the large image... only to display it in a not-so-large format. That's why I tend to prefer the solution I chose (displaying the image full screen).

44 minutes ago, Twanj said:

It's so useful already!

I typed up, but apparently got distracted and didn't hit 'submit', this exact thing yesterday.  It's a huge time saver.  And I completely admit to hating most things IT and have not idea how complicated this may or may not be to implement.

10 minutes ago, NicoV said:

See my answer above. I could also have a "hover" card as on Heritage or ComicConnect but it would require to load the large image... only to display it in a not-so-large format. That's why I tend to prefer the solution I chose (displaying the image full screen).

Could you use the cached images for thumbnails, then their larger images by URL for a "hover" card? Or do they prevent you from referencing the images on their servers remotely? 

Just now, Twanj said:

Could you use the cached images for thumbnails, then their larger images by URL for a "hover" card? Or do they prevent you from referencing the images on their servers remotely? 

No they don't... at least not yet :bigsmile:   But a *LOT* of these websites (even the big ones) have images that are not optimized in weight. I'm not sure what you're calling "cached images"?

Why don't you like / use the fullscreen display when clicking on a thumbnail?

41 minutes ago, NicoV said:

No they don't... at least not yet :bigsmile:   But a *LOT* of these websites (even the big ones) have images that are not optimized in weight. I'm not sure what you're calling "cached images"?

Why don't you like / use the fullscreen display when clicking on a thumbnail?

Sorry, I didn't look. You're using the images at their original location for the thumbnails and fullscreen.

It's just a bit cumbersome & interrupts the flow. You can see enough at that intermediate size to know if it's worth investigating more or outright discarding. I wish Comic Link had that feature, it saves a lot of time when you're going through a whole auction listing. To not have to open more tabs is better.

I could also have a "hover" card as on Heritage or ComicConnect but it would require to load the large image... only to display it in a not-so-large format. That's why I tend to prefer the solution I chose (displaying the image full screen).

Fullscreen is just a bit too slow in that it involves too many clicks & navigation.

4 hours ago, Twanj said:

It's just a bit cumbersome & interrupts the flow. You can see enough at that intermediate size to know if it's worth investigating more or outright discarding. I wish Comic Link had that feature, it saves a lot of time when you're going through a whole auction listing. To not have to open more tabs is better.

Fullscreen is just a bit too slow in that it involves too many clicks & navigation.

Ok you convinced me. I'll improve it (and will make it optional) but you should have a first version right now :)

Edited by NicoV

15 minutes ago, NicoV said:

Ok you convinced me. I'll improve it (and will make it optional) but you should have a first version right now :)

Wow, that was quick!

Well you'd already made The Artists Choice more navigable...Now you've made a better site for browsing Comic Link than their own.

I also like how it's centered, unlike at Heritage where it can kinda get in the way.

What do you think?!

5 minutes ago, Twanj said:

Well you'd already made The Artists Choice more navigable...Now you've made a better site for browsing Comic Link than their own.

Heh...there's a lesson in here somewhere dunno...how to run a  customer-friendly business or whatever... ;)

Oh yeah. And the guy isn't even in business.

Is there some way to make the thumbnails slightly bigger? I collect by the character, and it can be hard to spot the characters on small thumbnails. 

Were you saying that you plan to have a hover feature which expands the thumbnail to a larger size if we keep our cursor over it? If not, is that doable?

26 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Is there some way to make the thumbnails slightly bigger? I collect by the character, and it can be hard to spot the characters on small thumbnails. 

Were you saying that you plan to have a hover feature which expands the thumbnail to a larger size if we keep our cursor over it? If not, is that doable?

I'll probably review the whole design of items list soon. But in all cases, a thumbnail is supposed to be quite small (and even if I tried to display it bigger, for a lot of websites it would just be blurry). 

The hover feature is available since yesterday. But if you collect pages with a specific character, why don't you define it as a favorite keyword and let the "favorites" page help you to find relevant art? Ok if you're looking for Spiderman or Batman pages it might be a looong process before having everything sorted between discarded / tracked art. But for instance one of my favorites is Galactus and it works all alone... and will be even better with email notifications later.

Just wanted to reiterate how cool this is.  I've been playing around with this more and more and it's really just great.  Thanks again for putting it together!  

The only bug I've encountered is that if you search for something too broad (2000+ results) it executes the full search and shows the first few results, but then it crashes the site and you have to close out the browser.  Not that I plan on searching for that general of a term much, but it can make it painful if you accidentally hit enter at the wrong place. 

1 hour ago, bisquitodoom said:

The only bug I've encountered is that if you search for something too broad (2000+ results) it executes the full search and shows the first few results, but then it crashes the site and you have to close out the browser.  Not that I plan on searching for that general of a term much, but it can make it painful if you accidentally hit enter at the wrong place. 

You're right, and as far as I know it's a quite recent issue, only on Chrome v61... If you're using another browser please tell me which one, it could help me to fix it.