• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Efficient Bagging and Boarding – Process Optimization

8 posts in this topic

This one is for the people who do a lot of bagging and boarding.

I have been making my way through bagging/boarding/sorting/cataloging about 6000 comics. I only do it at for about a little bit a night and I’m trying to figure out the most efficient way get through it. If I can optimize the process and I can save a little time on each comic then it should add up. I want to be a well-oiled bagging and boarding machine. Before I go get the stop watch out and start process optimization, I figured that I would reach out to the pros for some pointers.

I figure that there are 3 potential methods (assume 1000 comics):

1.       Assembly Line: Put together 1000 bags and boards, Then put the 1000 comic in each one, then come back and tape each one.

2.       One at a Time: Board in bag, comic, tape, file away.

3.       Combo: Put together 1000 bags and boards, comic then tape, comic then tape, (repeat)

If anyone has any special bagging and boarding station set ups, special tape dispensers, diet and training regimen… I’m open to anything.  

I spent too much time writing this… I have to get back to bagging and boarding.:tonofbricks:

5 minutes ago, FN-2199 said:

Put them all in Mylar before you have a baby.

This is the easiest way.  

I wish I read this back in 2009-2010... I'm on my return tour, back after three little ones.  All the comics I'm bagging/boarding went away right before I got married.  

2 minutes ago, Snikt! said:

I wish I read this back in 2009-2010... I'm on my return tour, back after three little ones.  All the comics I'm bagging/boarding went away right before I got married.  

Seven years? I guess, I have a while before I finish then too.

Seriously, I try to bag & board one pack at a time. You'll tend to see that a bundle of 100 bags does not match up exactly with a bundle of 100 boards. I'm pretty sure they "count" these by weight and you may end up with some extra bags or boards. Also when I pre-bag/board or buy bags with the board already inside, I find they tend to curl instead of laying flat. This is another reason I prefer half-backs/full-backs and Mylar for my personal collection over cheap-o bags and boards: they lay flat. But hey, the books I sell, many customers are happy it just comes bagged and boarded.

The time flies. Yesterday was my 7 year anniversary (she made me pack up the comics when we were engaged) and my youngest just turned 1 last month.

Everything you are saying is ringing 100% true right now. When I bought the comics it came with about 1000 poly bags and boards (the horror :ohnoez:) which i'm using up just because i couldn't waste them. I started to preassembled them prior to putting comic in but they do start to curl very slightly. Besides the curling it works out nice because I can preassemble anywhere/anytime.

I ordered another 1000 Mylites 2 and half backs from E Gerber and that will be for my stuff.  

In terms of bagging and boarding with a balance between speed and care for the comics I find the method that works best is board into bag then comic into bagged board. Arrange a stack and then tape.

The reason I like the method above best is for two main reasons. First it allows for some prevention of spine denting and other damage to the book in the process. Also it further keeps and tape out of the equation for the time being, eliminating again any tape damage that may be done whilst going so fast.

I mean I think bagging then slipping the board in is going to be quicker but more likely for damage to occur. Individually placing the book on the board and then slipping it together into the bag is safest but certainly much more time consuming.

Never done 1000 at once; more like 100 or so in groups. So I guess I would say this mostly resembles your method #1 above.