• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does Anyone still Read Spawn?

55 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, gradejunky said:

That $100 listing is a very aggressive price for a raw plus they have 10 copies in the quantity.  They don't understand the concept of implied scarcity.  They will not sell any at that price for now I don't think.  $50 is achievable.

They're hoping someone else wants to play "implied scarcity" - they hope someone will give them $1,000, get all 10 copies, then put them up one at a time for $150. lol

20 hours ago, gradejunky said:

So pissed about 306D....I missed it as I believe it was an FOC just announced cover that flew under my radar, and most other peoples as well I assume-$50!?!  I have been pre-ordering Spawn in multiples since about #251 and plan to keep going.  I am trade waiting on the reading though.  I have too much backlog of reading to even worry about it.  That said, I'm not too keen on the Alexander art.  I read Dark Horror and was underwhelmed, though I believe Phillip Tan is on art duties now which I think I'll like more as it will look more nostalgic Spawn to me.  As far as collecting these, their are already many issues in the past few months that have/are drying up fast and commanding premiums-mostly the 2nd and later printings so get on them if you can find them.  Below are a few:

#300J ASM 300 swipe

300-3rd print

300 4th

301-3rd Print=:flipbait:

302-2nd print error...was real hot but has cooled a bit

306D- Gunslinger Spawn FOC cover=:pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair: because I missed it..lol

Kind of funny that we all have different tastes.  I loved Alexander's art and am not the biggest Tan fan. 

One thing with Spawn, you don't have to worry for long about an artist you don't like.  

I was looking forward to seeing where this story was going.  Felt like it was starting to move into new territory.  Have to admit though, there are times it's written like a terrible 80s horror movie. 

Patrick

I've given this plenty of time now so spoilers should not be a problem. 

Plague Spawn seems like he's giving an obvious indicator of who it is. 

A monster "V" on the body.  

Is this the resurrected/re-designed version of Violator? 

Might make 313 a good book to pick up.  

Patrick 

Is Spawn a good read these days? I read the run from almost the start up through the late 180's. Seems to be a lot of hype lately and wondering if worth it.

On 8/31/2021 at 8:44 AM, universal soldier said:

Is Spawn a good read these days? I read the run from almost the start up through the late 180's. Seems to be a lot of hype lately and wondering if worth it.

Good is relative.

It's interesting.  In my opinion, it's been better than the past.  I liked the darker sides toward the end of the 200s, but they semi ditched that.  

It's by no means a great read.  There are times it seems like a teen boy wrote portions of the book. McFarlane trying to write tough.

Patrick

I just bought Spawn 1 again after selling my old copy years ago, out of nostalgia. 

I don’t know how I feel about Spawn.

To justify my purchase, I bought the compendium edition which collects issue 1-50 to re-read it all again. 

I flipped through it. I miss Spawn and the first 50 issues. We will see. I am curious to read up to 100 but I have much less patience for stories than when I was younger, so I hope it’s not a slog. 

Ha! I put Spawn 1 back on my watch list on eBay this week too for the same reasons, @D2. I sold mine a few years back and want to get it back in my collection, even though it is completely out of focus. Spawn is just an awesome character. 

I'm thinking of getting on the King Spawn bandwagon... I'm a little hesitant to add more to my pull list (time to read, money to buy and space to store), but I keep hearing good things. 

Spawn is an awesome character. 

I gave up on Spawn though because after awhile I felt like it wasn’t going anywhere. 

I read King Spawn. It wasn’t awful lol. 
I realized though that I’m so disconnected and unfamiliar with the universe and where it’s at, that reading that first issue wasn’t engaging. 

On 9/10/2021 at 8:00 PM, Dr. Dank said:

Picked these up at expo today, don't really even know what they are, I stopped Spawn around 20 when I was growing up, but have picked up cool looking covers here and there for awhile. These looked awesome and the price seemed right

20210910_173313.jpg

20210910_173306.jpg

I take it was like a comic con, if it's the one I'm thinking of, glad you found some worthwhile stuff :)

On 9/10/2021 at 7:02 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I take it was like a comic con, if it's the one I'm thinking of, glad you found some worthwhile stuff :)

Will be going back tomorrow, some more dark horse stuff I should of grabbed, hope it's still there

So like a few others, I just got back into collecting/reading Spawn since the early 90's. I've always loved the art, but the writing was always 'meh'. What peaked my interest was Gunslinger Spawn, and I've always like Medieval Spawn. I think I read somewhere that they were going to be a team or something (Chain Gang)? I haven't read any of the recent issues to really know. 

I like the idea of multiple versions of Spawn, each with their own story and character arc. But my knowledge is very, very basic at the moment and I only know of Spawn (Al), Gunslinger Spawn, and Medieval Spawn (is this the original version who was introduced in #9? I thought he died). How many other versions are there? 

On 9/16/2021 at 12:35 PM, graffix13 said:

So like a few others, I just got back into collecting/reading Spawn since the early 90's. I've always loved the art, but the writing was always 'meh'. What peaked my interest was Gunslinger Spawn, and I've always like Medieval Spawn. I think I read somewhere that they were going to be a team or something (Chain Gang)? I haven't read any of the recent issues to really know. 

I like the idea of multiple versions of Spawn, each with their own story and character arc. But my knowledge is very, very basic at the moment and I only know of Spawn (Al), Gunslinger Spawn, and Medieval Spawn (is this the original version who was introduced in #9? I thought he died). How many other versions are there? 

Medieval Spawn is fleshing out right now.  As recent as the current Spawn issue so I don't want to reveal too much.  It's a mix of the past and a current character.

Patrick

Great, thanks. I think the latest I read was issue #313 or something, and there was a guy who picked up the sword and he was transformed. I'm guessing that's the new version?

Anyway, what are some good keys to pick up? I have #1, #9, #119, and just picked up #297 (Cameo Ninja Spawn). 

On 9/17/2021 at 7:01 AM, graffix13 said:

Great, thanks. I think the latest I read was issue #313 or something, and there was a guy who picked up the sword and he was transformed. I'm guessing that's the new version?

Anyway, what are some good keys to pick up? I have #1, #9, #119, and just picked up #297 (Cameo Ninja Spawn). 

There are so many, it's almost ridiculous. 

Do you mean like 1st appearances?  Value?  Any? 

Patrick

On 9/16/2021 at 1:35 PM, graffix13 said:

But my knowledge is very, very basic at the moment and I only know of Spawn (Al), Gunslinger Spawn, and Medieval Spawn (is this the original version who was introduced in #9? I thought he died). How many other versions are there? 

She Spawn, Lord Covenant (Dark Ages Spawn), Anti Spawn (Redeemer), Ninja Spawn, Plague Spawn, Jim Downing, Mandarin Spawn, Raven Spawn, HellSpawn, Cyber Spawn, Spawn X, Commando Spawn, Omega Spawn... there's probably more, probably some that just exist as action figures. 

The Scorched is the next monthly title to launch. 

On 9/17/2021 at 9:58 PM, followtheleader said:

There are so many, it's almost ridiculous. 

Do you mean like 1st appearances?  Value?  Any? 

Patrick

Yes, Mainly first appearances. I was just curious on the most popular characters in the Spawn universe. 

On 9/18/2021 at 6:29 AM, oldmilwaukee6er said:

She Spawn, Lord Covenant (Dark Ages Spawn), Anti Spawn (Redeemer), Ninja Spawn, Plague Spawn, Jim Downing, Mandarin Spawn, Raven Spawn, HellSpawn, Cyber Spawn, Spawn X, Commando Spawn, Omega Spawn... there's probably more, probably some that just exist as action figures. 

The Scorched is the next monthly title to launch. 

Who is the protagonist in The Scorched?