• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does Anyone still Read Spawn?

55 posts in this topic

Did anyone else pick up the Spawn 321 Barends virgin variant?  I don't usually pick up any books over $60 but I had to have this one as it is, in my opinion, one of the best Spawn covers.

I've been able to pick up 3 or 4 foreign Spawn editions (including Italian and French #174/175), multiple copies of #300 & 301 1st prints (and a 300 4th print) and the following issues over the last year: 

#77 (1st Archangel Spawn), 100 (Ashley Wood cover), 119, 220 (B/W), 221, 223, 227, 228, 231, 265 (color & B/W), 306D, 321 (Barends).

Had regular editions of #174, 175, 216, 241 but sold them to a friend as he is going for the entire run.

On 9/24/2021 at 12:09 PM, Pittsburgh said:

Did anyone else pick up the Spawn 321 Barends virgin variant?  I don't usually pick up any books over $60 but I had to have this one as it is, in my opinion, one of the best Spawn covers.

I've been able to pick up 3 or 4 foreign Spawn editions (including Italian and French #174/175), multiple copies of #300 & 301 1st prints (and a 300 4th print) and the following issues over the last year: 

#77 (1st Archangel Spawn), 100 (Ashley Wood cover), 119, 220 (B/W), 221, 223, 227, 228, 231, 265 (color & B/W), 306D, 321 (Barends).

Had regular editions of #174, 175, 216, 241 but sold them to a friend as he is going for the entire run.

216 is still on my list.  Not sure I will ever pony up that much money for that book.  

Just have to hope I luck upon it in a collection.

Struggle with why it's worth more than others around it.  Not Freak's 1st appearance and any print run difference would be negligible.

Patrick

It is a gorgeous cover. I have been pre-ordering 50 copies of each Spawn issue recently at a discount with my LCS to make sure I get the 1:50s and I was glad to see them use that cover as a virgin variant instead of the usual b&w sketch variant. It does not look like they are contuing with the 1:10 or 1:50 for the next couple of issues, unfortunately.

On 10/2/2021 at 1:22 PM, kimik said:

It is a gorgeous cover. I have been pre-ordering 50 copies of each Spawn issue recently at a discount with my LCS to make sure I get the 1:50s and I was glad to see them use that cover as a virgin variant instead of the usual b&w sketch variant. It does not look like they are contuing with the 1:10 or 1:50 for the next couple of issues, unfortunately.

I'm actually glad they're pausing the ratios so I can recover from the 1:250s lol

Yeah, that is a gorgeous cover. Mine cost just 90% of cover price, thankfully.

I hope they do a surprise 1:50 with his GS Spawn 2 cover. :wishluck:

Edited by kimik

Working on my Spawn Keys collection, and I really want to get issue 38, but the prices seem a bit...high. I figured the print run would still be high on the title at this time, so any reason for the inflated price? Or is it an anomaly (currently only 2 9.8 copies on eBay)?

On 11/23/2021 at 11:06 AM, graffix13 said:

Working on my Spawn Keys collection, and I really want to get issue 38, but the prices seem a bit...high. I figured the print run would still be high on the title at this time, so any reason for the inflated price? Or is it an anomaly (currently only 2 9.8 copies on eBay)?

It's the first appearance of Cy-Gor, but it doesn't appear to be worth more than cover price. You can find them raw on eBay at a pretty low cost. I have no doubt though that some overly optimistic sellers with 9.8 graded copies would put up a wildly high list price.

Why is Malibu Sun 13 bigger than Up 'N Coming 16? I ask because I recently bought a copy of it for $5 and I would like it to be worth several hundred. Still a valid question though.

It was mailed out in March of 1992, so it should at least be on par with the Previews value.

Thoughts?

upncoming016.jpg

On 11/18/2022 at 12:45 PM, PossumGrease said:

Why is Malibu Sun 13 bigger than Up 'N Coming 16? I ask because I recently bought a copy of it for $5 and I would like it to be worth several hundred. Still a valid question though.

It was mailed out in March of 1992, so it should at least be on par with the Previews value.

Thoughts?

upncoming016.jpg

what about "RUST #1?" same difference, but value isn't there, idk :sorry: 

Bought and read the first 100 issues. I enjoyed it but not to the point where I wanted to continue beyond that issue. It was the slickest looking book on the shelves for a long time. I kept issues 1-30 and sold the rest. My issue #1 is now a CGC 9.8. The books held up well even after reading them. 

I also had a few miniseries like Angela 1-3 and a 4 issue run written by Alan Moore. Read Sam and Twitch for maybe a year or two. Loved all of those books.