• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES appreciation thread
1 1

25 posts in this topic

'Batman: The Animated Series' Blu-ray Release Announced

batman-the-animated-series-blu-ray-10359

At New York Comic Con, Warner Bros. Home Video announced that Batman: The Animated Series will be getting a Blu-ray release in 2018.

The reveal came during a panel when DVD copies of Batman: The Animated Series were being given away. The moderator, Gary Miereanu (who also heads up WB Home Video publicity), held up a copy of the DVD set and mentioned to the crowd that it’s the last time they’re giving away this particular set. WB will be releasing Batman: The Animated Series on Blu-Ray “later in 2018," and that’s all that was said about it.

The Warner Bros. Shop followed up, making the announcement official and sending it wide with a tweet:

VPIw04o.png

The announcement of the Blu-ray release comes just after the 25th anniversary of Batman: The Animated Series. The show debuted in 1992, hot off the Batman buzz built up by Tim Burton’s Batman movie and the sequel, Batman Returns, which released in the same year.

Super excited that this is finally getting a BD release. I know there has been a lot of uncertainty over the years, whether or not such a thing was even possible, as it seemed like the show was likely edited on video. But I'm assuming the original film elements must exist somewhere, in order for them to complete this project. They'll probably have to redo the outro credits or whatever, no great loss there.

For my money, BTAS is still the best translation of the character and his world to any medium. The perfect mix of pulp, superhero, crime/detective, and sometimes supernatural elements that make the character so rich.

I'll still hang onto my DVD box set, because it's such a purty box. The discs started rotting a while back though, so I'm glad this thing is finally on the way.

Hoping MSRP will be under $150, but I'll buy it at any price. And unlike the recent Mask of the Phantasm BD release, this one is coming out of WB proper, instead of Warner Archives, so we should be getting all of the extra features from the old sets, and hopefully some new ones as well.

20 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

The discs started rotting a while back though, so I'm glad this thing is finally on the way.

Can you elaborate on this?  This is the first I've heard of such a thing. 

17 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Can you elaborate on this?  This is the first I've heard of such a thing. 

The first you've heard of disc rot in general, or in regard to it happening on this particular title?

In general, disc rot is the instance of a disc becoming unplayable as there is some sort of oxidation that occurs in one of the layers of the disc, causing a physical deterioration in the layers of the disc itself. I'm sure a smarter person than me can explain it better, but that's the basic idea: oxidation occurs, layers start to break down, the media can't play. It has happened to a lot of laser discs (we used to call it "laser rot"), as well as some cd's, and also DVD titles. 

It seems to only affect a small percentage of titles, and is likely related to whatever circumstance certain batches of discs were pressed in. Therefore, there are certain titles that are notorious for rotting.

As for my BTAS discs, I'd never heard of any instances of rot with this particular set, but I noticed a couple of years ago that the later discs in my set were getting "cloudy" and would no longer play properly.  I never bought a replacement set, because I was worried I'd just run into the same thing.

I've seen this before in a wide range of titles.

I can buy a Sheena Eastman cd made from 29 years ago and it will play perfectly, but a Bangles cd from the same year won't and will be mysteriously cloudy.

But with dvd's with the volume titles I purchase, pops up on occasion. Recently, a Season One of She Spies had a 3 cloudy disc. The replacement set's first disc had the same issue, so I married the good ones together into one. I assumed it was a press issue or just inferior materials.

I'll take pictures next time.

Had this issue a lot with Superman: The Movie, Prisoner Cell Block H, and quite a few others.

For me it happens mostly with TV Season DVDs.

1 hour ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

I've seen this before in a wide range of titles.

I can buy a Sheena Eastman cd made from 29 years ago and it will play perfectly, but a Bangles cd from the same year won't and will be mysteriously cloudy.

But with dvd's with the volume titles I purchase, pops up on occasion. Recently, a Season One of She Spies had a 3 cloudy disc. The replacement set's first disc had the same issue, so I married the good ones together into one. I assumed it was a press issue or just inferior materials.

I'll take pictures next time.

Had this issue a lot with Superman: The Movie, Prisoner Cell Block H, and quite a few others.

For me it happens mostly with TV Season DVDs.

I've been fortunate in that I haven't run into many DVD's with the problem, but it was a HUGE problem in my laser disc days.  I count myself lucky on the DVD front. I know that Warner discs from a certain era are particularly prone to the issue, which would make sense with my Batman tv set. If it was also affecting a lot of your TV seasons, it makes me wonder if one factory in particular was handling the production of tv sets? I guess we'll never know, but it's an interesting issue.

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

The first you've heard of disc rot in general, or in regard to it happening on this particular title?

In general, disc rot is the instance of a disc becoming unplayable as there is some sort of oxidation that occurs in one of the layers of the disc, causing a physical deterioration in the layers of the disc itself. I'm sure a smarter person than me can explain it better, but that's the basic idea: oxidation occurs, layers start to break down, the media can't play. It has happened to a lot of laser discs (we used to call it "laser rot"), as well as some cd's, and also DVD titles. 

It seems to only affect a small percentage of titles, and is likely related to whatever circumstance certain batches of discs were pressed in. Therefore, there are certain titles that are notorious for rotting.

As for my BTAS discs, I'd never heard of any instances of rot with this particular set, but I noticed a couple of years ago that the later discs in my set were getting "cloudy" and would no longer play properly.  I never bought a replacement set, because I was worried I'd just run into the same thing.

Thanks for the info.   I worked at Blockbuster Video throughout college and own my fair share of DVD's and have never heard of this issue.  Learn something new everyday.  :idea:

1 hour ago, Turtle said:

Thanks for the info.   I worked at Blockbuster Video throughout college and own my fair share of DVD's and have never heard of this issue.  Learn something new everyday.  :idea:

Well that just means that you've fortunately not run into the issue, so I hope you continue to have good luck with your discs! It stinks when you're all excited to watch something you haven't seen for a few years, pop the disc in, and the player won't read it anymore. So hopefully that means you're in good shape, because if they haven't started rotting yet, you may be safe for the foreseeable future!

5 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I've never heard of this disc rot either. Thanks for sharing. But I could see it happen, with discs being plastic.

I wonder if this will become a larger problem over time as companies have their discs pumped out from the cheapest providers possible.

According to Kevin Smith, a source told him Warner Bros. is looking to reboot Batman: The Animated Series for their streaming service HBO Max.

A Batman: The Animated Series reboot could be in the works at Warner Bros. The original 1992 classic aired for three seasons, counting The New Batman Adventures. Acclaimed for its writing, characterization, and directing, Batman: The Animated Series is considered by many to be the definitive version of the Dark Knight. The series, along with Batman Beyond, was added to HBO Max earlier this month.

Batman: The Animated Series' impact cannot be overstated. It was the first animated comic adaptation with an emphasis on strong dialogue and characterization. Thanks to the show, Mr. Freeze was given his well-known, tragic origin in "Heart of Ice." The show also debuted Harley Quinn as Joker's main squeeze. Meanwhile, the voice work on the show also helped propel it to legendary status. Kevin Conroy's portrayal of Bruce Wayne/Batman remains the most iconic work on the character. For many, no one can match Mark Hamill's iconic Joker laugh and would be hard-pressed to try. Finally, Batman: The Animated Series launched the successful DCAU, culminating in the widely-beloved Justice League: Unlimited.

As my avatar indicates, I am a diehard fan of this show. If it is to be revived, it has to have the original creative team and the original voice cast. Otherwise it's just cashing in on a prestigious name. The DCAU is too good to receive an ersatz revival--either give it the full measure, or leave it be.

Not sure if this is the right forum, but thought I would start by asking here.  I found some old magazines of mine while cleaning out my parent's house over Christmas break.  This Fox Kids fanzine was found in the stack.  It is a promotional for Batman: The Animated Series and the Batman Adventures comic.  I have not read that whole series.  Does anyone know if this is reprinted material or new material for the fanzine?

Fox Kids 1 (2).jpg

Fox Kids 2.jpg

Fox Kids 3.jpg