• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price History of Amazing Fantasy 15
4 4

84 posts in this topic

On 1/9/2023 at 8:14 PM, sledgehammer said:

There were two classifications of restoration.

Overstreet had no problem with cleaning, tape removal, correcting spine roll and whitening. These could return a book to its original condition and value.

On the contrary, adding pieces or pages, and color touch were considered differently, and the value was assessed at 1/2 a grade lower than a book that didn't require these things.

Oh, wow.......................you actually made me go back to my old guides to take a look at this.  :whatthe:

Yes, it looks like you were right as Overstreet did indeed had a section on the "Value Of Restored Comics" in his guide for a few years back then where he distinguished between two classifications of restoration, as follows:  (thumbsu

"There are two major categories of restoration.  In the first category no new elements are added to a comic book.  Processes in this category include dirt removal, spine roll correction, whitening, deacidification, tape removal, etc.  These processes do not alter the original state of a comic book, and consequently the comic book will reach the value equivalent to books which needed no restoration to begin with.  In many cases, the value gain can be enormous."

"The second category exists when new elements are added to a comic book where portions were destroyed or damaged.  In instances such as repairing missing pieces and tears, touching up colors or replacing missing pages, the current consensus of value is approximately one-half grade less than a book which did not require the restoration."

Based upon the sentiment at the time as reflected from reading these two paragraphs above on the value of restoration, it's no wonder why there were so many restored books from that time period.  I guess it's rather similar to why we have so many artificially pressed books in today's marketplace, as it's seen as an undisclosed activity that adds value to a book.  Not exactly sure why they would have considered whitening and deacidification as not adding something foreign or external to the book back then.  Then again, I am also not sure if I am misunderstanding the process or not, but I am likewise not sure why CGC does not consider leaf casting to be restoration since I thought it's also adding something external to a book where there was nothing there before.  hm  (shrug)

On 1/9/2023 at 12:18 PM, sledgehammer said:

The hit was not as bad as the purple label of death, but it didn't add value.

Usually they would say an unrestored Fine price drops to a VG price, etc.

Not sure if I am interpreting the two paragraphs on the Valuation of Restored Books the same way as you are.  The way I read it appears to indicate from my POV that restoration will indeed add value to both categories of restoration back then.  In the first category, it will give it full value as it states that the book will reach the equivalent value to books which needed no restoration work to begin with (i.e. an original VG unrestored book improved up to a restored Fine copy will be worth the equivalent of a unrestored Fine book which with my 2023 thinking sounds rather :screwy: to me).  In the second category of restoration, an original unrestored VG book upgraded to a restored Fine copy will be worth one-half grade less than an unrestored Fine copy that did not require any work.  So whether it be Category 1 or Category 2, restoration was seen as ADDING VALUE to an unrestored book, with the value being dependent upon the type of restoration work performed on the book.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/10/2023 at 3:30 AM, lou_fine said:

Not sure if I am interpreting the two paragraphs on the Valuation of Restored Books the same way as you are.  The way I read it appears to indicate from my POV that restoration will indeed add value to both categories of restoration back then.  In the first category, it will give it full value as it states that the book will reach the equivalent value to books which needed no restoration work to begin with (i.e. an original VG unrestored book improved up to a restored Fine copy will be worth the equivalent of a unrestored Fine book which with my 2023 thinking sounds rather :screwy: to me).  In the second category of restoration, an original unrestored VG book upgraded to a restored Fine copy will be worth one-half grade less than an unrestored Fine copy that did not require any work.  So whether it be Category 1 or Category 2, restoration was seen as ADDING VALUE to an unrestored book, with the value being dependent upon the type of restoration work performed on the book.  hm

Not sure where exactly, possibly an Overstreet Price Guide or an OPG Quarterly, but an article with a graph was included that showed exactly how much of a GAIN one could expect from various types of resto applied to various grades. It would certainly be from the 90's. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 1/10/2023 at 6:25 AM, jimjum12 said:

Not sure where exactly, possibly an Overstreet Price Guide or an OPG Quarterly, but an article with a graph was included that showed exactly how much of a GAIN one could expect from various types of resto applied to various grades. It would certainly be from the 90's. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I remember that too.   Maybe even the photojournals? Not sure.   Anyways the part of that which stuck in my brain at the time was that a clean and press was the highest ROI procedure.   And now it’s not even officially resto 😂 (but still high ROI I guess )  

Edited by Bronty