• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will re-slabbing a book potentially cause a downgrade?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I have a few slabbed books in which one or two of the sides are a bit loose/not fully sealed. Meaning that if I press the slab on the loose side the top & bottom come together & then separate a bit when letting go. How big of a problem would this be? I want to have them re slabbed but I wonder if it might cause a downgrade? What say the board?

34 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

I have a few slabbed books in which one or two of the sides are a bit loose/not fully sealed. Meaning that if I press the slab on the loose side the top & bottom come together & then separate a bit when letting go. How big of a problem would this be? I want to have them re slabbed but I wonder if it might cause a downgrade? What say the board?

What you are describing is not a defect in the slab. They are not designed to be fully sealed/airtight. If you got them re-slabbed, they still would not be fully sealed. My limited experience with the latest generation of slabs is that they are tighter, but still not fully sealed. Your slabs are functioning the way they were intended to.

4 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

What you are describing is not a defect in the slab. They are not designed to be fully sealed/airtight. If you got them re-slabbed, they still would not be fully sealed. My limited experience with the latest generation of slabs is that they are tighter, but still not fully sealed. Your slabs are functioning the way they were intended to.

Ok thank you. I have several older slabs that are not loose on any side & all of the newer ones are all tight on each side. Forgive the confusion. It seemed like it was a defect

Edited by MGsimba77

55 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Ok thank you. I have several older slabs that are not loose on any side & all of the newer ones are all tight on each side. Forgive the confusion. It seemed like it was a defect

It's one of the differences between the old slab & the new - on the new slabs, the sides are sonically sealed so they're very tight. In order to crack the new slabs, you start at the top.

On the old slabs, the top & bottom are sealed tight and you crack them from the sides.

If you reholder your book, it gets reslabbed and not regraded. If you resubmit the book to be regraded, then it can potentially change (good or bad). If a book clearly has been damaged and you want it cracked and reholdered, I think it will be regraded to reflect the damage.