• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this ok for long term storage?

19 posts in this topic

I've been storing my slabs in that position for a decade or more with no ill effects.  That said, there have been issues with storing slabs in safes. Early on, some very valuable books developed rusty staples. There is some sort of device that people place in the safe to ward that off. Never paid much attention as I don't keep them mine in safes but I would investigate it pronto ,if I were you.

Are you storing them upside down? If so, why?

To be honest, I don't like the looks of this. No personal experience but it looks much too high. I do store some of my slabs horizontally but only stack them about 6 or so high. Get some shelves in that safe so you can stack them safely or maybe use some boxes or containers. Anything to take the pressure off.  Not sure what a slab weighs, maybe one pound, so that would mean the bottom of the stack has near 50 pounds of pressure. 

8 minutes ago, Brian48 said:

I personally would feel very uncomfortable about putting so much weight on the lower slabs.  You can't get any type shelving for the safe?  This is an old pic, but I keep my books upright. 

safe.jpg

Nice setup ! Question: I can see at least 3 Eva Drys in there. Just wondering if that may be overkill as not enough humidity is also bad for paper. I have a similar size safe and keep only one Eva Dry in there. Seems to work fine, keeping the humidity around 40% and I only recharge about once a month, tops. 

54 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Nice setup ! Question: I can see at least 3 Eva Drys in there. Just wondering if that may be overkill as not enough humidity is also bad for paper. I have a similar size safe and keep only one Eva Dry in there. Seems to work fine, keeping the humidity around 40% and I only recharge about once a month, tops. 

I actually have a lot more than 3 Eva Drys in there these days.  Unfortunately, my safe is in my basement and I have horrible humidity problems in the summer.  Believe me, it's NEVER too dry in my safe because of it.  At it's worse, I have to recharge the units every 1.5 weeks before they become saturated.  It's much better in the winter though where I can go about 3 weeks before having to check.  I also have an electric dehumidifier running as well that I have to empty out every couple of days during the peak season. 

1 hour ago, Brian48 said:

I actually have a lot more than 3 Eva Drys in there these days.  Unfortunately, my safe is in my basement and I have horrible humidity problems in the summer.  Believe me, it's NEVER too dry in my safe because of it.  At it's worse, I have to recharge the units every 1.5 weeks before they become saturated.  It's much better in the winter though where I can go about 3 weeks before having to check.  I also have an electric dehumidifier running as well that I have to empty out every couple of days during the peak season. 

Wow, interesting. My safe is also in the basement with a dehumidifier running 24 X 7 in the warmer weather. I have noticed that, even with the Eva Dry, the humidity level in the safe generally matches the humidity level in the room (basement) .  I have a half basement, so not as deep. I wonder if that makes a difference for the humidity level ? I also have my sump pump sealed, screwed to the basement floor.

Question for you guys storing comics in gun safes, fire safes etc

Ever noticed any staples getting rust? Is it possible? Is this why the eva dry de humidifiers are in there?

I had a friend put away a rifle in his safe without cleaning/oiling it and rusted right up, hahaaha to him being lazy

I only keep rifles in my gun safe oiled and cleaned so I don't worry about rust

How long have you stored comics in your safes for? Years? Months?

1. Way too much weight on those bottom slabs. Bad idea to stack them in that manner. Store them vertically or with the spine down.

2. Never store comics in a gun safe. The staples will rust. CGC slabs are not airtight and will not protect the staples in that sort of environment. There was a rather legendary thread about it happening to a Hulk 180 or 181. If I recall correctly, the CGC even chimed in and recommended against the practice. I'm sure you can find the thread with a bit of hunting. Use a ventilated stainless steel or anodized aluminum cabinet in a climate controlled room. 

16 hours ago, newshane said:

1. Way too much weight on those bottom slabs. Bad idea to stack them in that manner. Store them vertically or with the spine down.

2. Never store comics in a gun safe. The staples will rust. CGC slabs are not airtight and will not protect the staples in that sort of environment. There was a rather legendary thread about it happening to a Hulk 180 or 181. If I recall correctly, the CGC even chimed in and recommended against the practice. I'm sure you can find the thread with a bit of hunting. Use a ventilated stainless steel or anodized aluminum cabinet in a climate controlled room. 

The issue came up well before you joined. CGCs former head actually started it as I recall after two people reported rusty staples in Golden Age books.

The recommendations were to use dehumidifier crystals.

Edited by shadroch

Maybe a stupid question : why are gun safe, not safe for CGC books?? Do they generate more humidity, compared to a regular CGC Box?? Or to a stainless steel box??

I've had my CGC box in the basement for years now, and they seemed to be in good condition. Mind you though the basement is not finished and it's really cool down there, even on a hot summer day.....