• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK ADAM starring Dwayne Johnson (TBD)
7 7

1,456 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Rumors that Henry Cavill's Superman will appear in Black Adam...

They share the same agent (Dwayne Johnson's ex-wife, Dany Garcia). Even in October Johnson recognized her return to bodybuilding.

Lawrence Sher, the cinematographer for Joker discussed how the upcoming Black Adam movie will “reshape” the comic book film genre.

The cinematographer was asked about working on the new Black Adam movie during a Q&A following a screening of Joker hosted by Collider. Lawrence Sher, having been involved in an unconventional comic book film like Joker teased to the audience that the approach to Black Adam is a bit similar despite having a different tone.

You can read what the Joker cinematographer had to say about Black Adam reshaping the superhero genre down below:

“One of my interests about it is to continue to sort of—and we’ve talked about it with Dwayne and obviously with Jaume and DC—can we continue to sort of reshape what a comic book movie is? Like yes of course you want it to be entertaining and it has to make a decent amount of money so it can’t live in such a fringe place that it doesn’t bring people in, but can we do something inventive? So that’s the goal is to continue to try to do something a bit inventive with it.”

With Joker and now Black Adam, it appears that both Lawrence Sher and DC Films are eager to explore comic book films that are different from what audiences are accustomed to, whether it’d be from previous DCEU films or even the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It’s only a matter of time before we see how Lawrence Sher’s cinematography will translate with Black Adam, and if his work on Joker is any indication, we’re in for a visually stunning picture.

16 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Dude is a freak and puts the time in, but no way he’s natural, especially at his age. Either way, respect...guy’s got the world at his fingertips.

No idea if he is natural or not, but you are correct he has the world at this fingertips.  Hulk Hogan probably cries himself to sleep at night wondering why he never took off like the Rock did in film.  

4 hours ago, media_junkie said:

No idea if he is natural or not, but you are correct he has the world at this fingertips.  Hulk Hogan probably cries himself to sleep at night wondering why he never took off like the Rock did in film.  

Hulk Hogan never had the acting chops that the Rock or even John Cena have. That is why he never transitioned to Hollywood.

4 hours ago, media_junkie said:

Hogan was a terrible actor.

In June, Observer exclusively reported that Jungle Cruise director Jaume Collet-Serra was expected to helm Dwayne Johnson’s Black Adam for DC Films. Now, with the superhero picture—which will eventually connect with Zachary Levi’s Shazam!—set to begin filming this summer, we were curious for more details. Pre-production is still in its early stages, but cinematographer Lawrence Sher is beginning to formulate his plan of attack for the highly-anticipated blockbuster.

“The good news is we don’t shoot until July. So I’m just getting into the research and development phase of discovering how it will look,” Sher, who scored an Academy Award nomination for his work on Joker, told Observer. “It’s super important to me because every time I set off to make a movie or a new project, I always feel as if I want it to be better than the last thing I worked on. I’m really excited about Black Adam because it’s different than Joker in that it’s slightly more traditional insomuch as it’s really drawing from the comics.”

Sher explained that he has a stack of comic books featuring the Black Adam character that he’s been reading, but it’s still too early to say if one is going to serve as a direct inspiration for the film more than any other. He does know, however, that he, Johnson and Collet-Serra are aiming high. Fans have been waiting a long time for this as Johnson was connected to the property since the mid-2000s before officially being cast all the way back in 2014.

“I know with Jaume and myself and with Dwayne, we do want to reinvent something,” he said. “But when you try to reinvent something and try to push it to the next level, it takes a bit of brainwork to get there. You have to think, ‘How do you crack the code of what’s going to be next?’ I’m still in the code cracking mode on this one. But I have a little time. I want it to be something singular and feel wholly original within the genre. We’ve talked about that.”

I think the best approach would be that of a fallen hero - humble beginnings, threat to his people so he is imbued with power, saves them at great cost, and is haunted by the price he has to pay so becomes an anti-hero/villain. Just like wrestling - start small, become big star/good guy, fall and become heel, then redemption and the cycle plays all over. They need to have him be a sympathetic anti-hero/villain, and the Rock knows how to play that role.