• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK ADAM starring Dwayne Johnson (TBD)
7 7

1,456 posts in this topic

Is there any way this movie doesn’t become part of some movement? The whole overcoming slavery and becoming empowered theme seems unavoidably primed for adoption...

I really hope that didn’t just trigger someone. I don’t care if it happens or not, as long as it’s positive.

14 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Is there any way this movie doesn’t become part of some movement? The whole overcoming slavery and becoming empowered theme seems unavoidably primed for adoption...

I really hope that didn’t just trigger someone. I don’t care if it happens or not, as long as it’s positive.

Like Joker not inspiring riots as was predicted, I can't see the overthrow of governments due to Black Adam. Though these films due help challenge certain thinking.

I just really can't wait to see Doctor Fate in all his glory (though I am still saddened on Hourman and Sandman not being part of this JSA lineup)

edit: The more I think about this the more I feel not having those members are a missed opportunity. Sandman would have gave the team its own 'Batman' style character who the audience won't need much setup to understand, and he can age in real time to appear in other modern DC movies as an old man (like he was in Kingdom Come, give us comic nerds another Easter egg to fawn over). As for Hourman, even though I love him I honestly would be happy with him showing up to just get janked in order to showcase Black Adams strength and willingness to kill - and that would explain why the Miraclo pill isn't all over the place in the DCU). My biased JSA needs must be met! :D

trio-title.jpg.6910d30cfcfe0a7f4142832d6dd8dfc2.jpg

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 8/23/2020 at 8:15 AM, Callaway29 said:

My mind was less “overthrow the government” level and more “black panther” level.

I think it might be the opposite of that and be a little more troublesome.

Black Adams story seems to lean heavily on the idea of mass slavery in Egypt (technically, not really Egypt, just whatever they are calling it in this universe but the comparison will be understood), but modern archaeological scholarship has shown it didn't exist as we previously though of (utilizing rotating paid workforces, a requirement of their own citizens.) or on the scale believed by Jews & Christians in regards to Israelites being subjugated in Egypt for generations prior to the Exodus (which also did involve the amount of people accepted by theists). Just to be clear though, slavery did still exist.

The issue I'm interested to see develop is will Black Adam reinforce the casual pop-culture 'common knowledge' of slavery in Egypt many hold today (or reinforcing theistic expectations about those events as not to offend them), or will it present something that is closer aligned to our current understanding of those events and thus help correct the current doxa or any stereotypes. Not really a movement on the level you were implying, but still tied to a very politically charged topic.

Edited by Sauce Dog

I take it the Rock just mailed his reading of the -script for the promo piece in? That was the worst bit of reading I think I have heard him do.

Otherwise, I look forward to the movie.

In an interview with Collider, Garcia, a producer on Black Adam, revealed a little more about the film. Acknowledging the fan reaction to the DC FanDome panel, Garcia hails director Jaume Collett-Serra, who he says has a "great vision" for the movie. He also teases Black Adam's tremendous power, saying it will be great to see such a powerful character unleashed in full, as opposed to others who "believe in pulling their punches." You can read Garcia's comments below.

"We’re thrilled with how the announcement went and the incredible fan reaction from it. Our director Jaume Collett-Serra has always had a great vision for what we all want to achieve and I think audiences are going to go crazy when they see the story and sequences we’ve been creating that showcase this world and more importantly what Black Adam is truly capable of. It’s fun to truly showcase all of his abilities and watch someone with this much power who, unlike other powerful DC characters, doesn’t believe in pulling their punches. Then on top of that you add in the complexity of his character and the things he’s carrying with him, what he’s been through, what he’s come from and where he’s going to go ... and it makes for a for a very unique and intense cinematic ride."

The reference is to Superman, who is known for reining in his extraordinary powers, particularly when it comes to the topic of killing his adversaries. It's a dig similar to the one Johnson made at DC FanDome, another hint that DC may have plans for the characters to cross paths eventually. Either that or Johnson and the rest of the creative team on the movie are hoping if they drop enough hints, they may force DC into having the characters clash in the future.

For now, though, the focus is clearly on hyping Black Adam's powers, and his ability to become the most powerful character in the DC Extended Universe, along with establishing the Justice Society of America in the movie.

As president of production at Seven Bucks Productions, Hiram Garcia works with Dwayne Johnson every single day. And with 20 years of friendship, Garcia knows the the Rock better than nearly anyone in the world.

Garcia first met Johnson when he was dating his sister, Dany Garcia, in college. Today, his older sister and Johnson have created a media empire, including the production company they co-founded, churning out hits like “Hobbs and Shaw,” “Jumanji,” “Rampage.” Other credits include upcoming “Jungle Cruise,” Netflix’s “Red Notice” and DC’s “Black Adam,” all three of which have been impacted by the coronavirus pandemic.

Johnson, who recently revealed that he and his family all contracted COVID-19 (but are recovered and doing fine), trusts Garcia as his right-hand man — so much so that he’s allowed him to document his life and career over the past two decades, as he transitioned from WWE champion to the world’s biggest movie star.

Is there a specific moment captured in the book that stands out to you?
One of my favorite stories I was able to capture was of him and Stan Lee, before Stan passed. It had been years since they had seen each other, but Stan was one of the legends of the business that when DJ first broke into Hollywood, he greeted him with open arms and he really believed in him and what he would be able to do. Stan thought DJ had a lot to offer to the business. This image was taken many years after they first met, and it was taken at Stan’s Comic-Con in L.A., where we were presented some footage of our movie “Rampage,” and the news had come out that DJ would be putting on a cape and entering the DC world as Black Adam. It was a really sweet moment to come full circle and for Stan to say, “I always knew you were going to be what you were going to become.”

stanlee.jpg.41c43dd722bcf313b082621dbbba07ba.jpg

Speaking of “Black Adam,” tell me everything about it.
This is the giddy fanboy inside me and DJ. We are so excited to be in the superhero space. We have been dreaming of doing a movie like this for ages, so to be able to partner up with DC and to really put ourselves into the DC Universe in a big way with the ambitions that we have, we are so, so, so excited.

When will you go into production?
We’re going to start filming sometime in the first quarter of next year.

I know spoilers are on lockdown, but give me a glimpse into what we can expect from the -script.
The journey we’re going to put Black Adam on, it’s very compelling — what he’s gone through and what you’re going to see on-screen is going to be amazing to watch play out, and then when you couple that with how powerful every character is who is going to be in the universe, it’s really going to heat things up. We have a lot of fun saying that the hierarchy of the power in the DC Universe is going to change because when Black Adam arrives, everyone needs to watch out because he’s going to change the game.

Noah Centineo is playing Atom Smasher. What else can you tell me about the other characters?
Our entire production team and our amazing director, Jaume Collet-Serra, we all have unified, giant ambitions for what we want to do with these characters and the JSA and all those new members we’re introducing from Hawkman to Atom Smasher to Cyclone and Doctor Fate. It’s an opportunity to put ourselves in the DC Universe, and really start to create a fun group of characters that audiences haven’t had the chance to see, but that a lot of them are familiar with.

DC has had so much success lately with “Wonder Woman” and “Shazam,” which Seven Bucks produced. Have you discussed specific plans with DC in regards to how-and-when these characters will crossover and fold into other properties in the DC Universe?
We’re working closely with DC in terms of what the plan is for how everyone fits together. It’s still in the works, but obviously “Shazam” exists in the “Black Adam” universe. I can just say that we have very big ambitions for “Black Adam” and all of the characters that we’re introducing. How they’re going to connect with other characters is still all being laid out, but I think fans are going to be happy, ultimately, with the way we end up guiding it.

:banana: