• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archie art: any fans and collectors here?
2 2

190 posts in this topic

Just posted a Betty & Veronica story by Jeff Shultz in a new CAF gallery.  And consolidated Jeff's other art in a new gallery dedicated to Jeff, it was about time.  That gallery also has a new cover added. 

Jeff's Black Canary & Green Arrow piece remains in that gallery.

Hoping to pick up more art from Jeff when I see him at a local show in a couple weeks.

And I misspelled Jeff's last name before (inserted a C).  Sorry, Jeff !!

Edited by Will_K

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎05 at 11:16 PM, comicwiz said:

Archie Sunday strip from Sept 19, 1980, well because it's Sunday! Believe it to be Dan DeCarlo, but @Caltex98 might know better

Sunday_Sept9_1980.jpg

Looks like DeCarlo to me.  He was assigned the strip in 1975 (after the death of Bob Montana) and drew it for quite some time. I don't have the exact date when he left and Henry Scarpelli (?) & Craig Boldman (writer) took over it. I may post some examples of how it looked later on when Jeff Shultz and Fernando Ruiz (who ghosted it uncredited for years) was the artists.

Edited by Caltex98

7 hours ago, Caltex98 said:

Looks like DeCarlo to me.  He was assigned the strip in 1975 (after the death of Bob Montana) and drew it for quite some time. I don't have the exact date when he left and Rudy Lapick (?) & Craig Boldman (writer) took over it. I may post some examples of how it looked later on when Jeff Shultz and Fernando Ruiz (who ghosted it uncredited for years) was the artists.

If I recall correctly, all my strips span from the late 70's to early 80's, with the exception of one Montana daily and a later period Saturday strip from the 90's.

Examples of Sunday pages. First Dan DeCarlo from 1982:

1982-01-10.jpg.ce8410e20f3790006d4a4fdb56edd6a3.jpg

Then Jeff Shultz from 2005, inked by Bob Smith (from what I understand Jeff drew the strip for a very limited time):

4-17-2005.jpg.83422f26e73e597b1f7ff69b4c7d2493.jpg

And finally Fernando Ruiz from 2008 (also inked by Bob Smith, I believe):

2008-11-08.jpg.27671de62aaca69d40b2c0d7130e6426.jpg

This one was made after Fernando got permission to sign it in his own name instead of ghosting it for Henry Scarpelli.

17 minutes ago, westform said:

QMCL22JT_2505161324181gpadd.jpg

This is a beauty Dan.  Someday, I'll need to add an Archie piece to my collection.  I need a DeCarlo from about 1968 to maybe 1972 which is my nostalgic prime era of buying and reading Archie before the superhero bug really bit me hard.  Someday...

Scott

Hi Scott, get em while they’re cheap. Well, at least cheaper than superhero art from the same period. I started reading comics young and quit when I was still ver young (long story). So, I’ve been shifting a bit away from my nostalgic hero collecting to filling the gaps in my other nostalgic genres, aka kidstuff. I read as much Archie, Richie Rich, Dennis, etc. as Spider-man so it’s still fun to collect it all. 

3 hours ago, Patriot6 said:

Here are the four pages I picked up last week (nothing like what has been posted here, but never the less):

klutzy Archie, Veronica, and Jughead talking abut/and staring at food get me every time!

That is a great way to start your collection!:)

I think I've gained a greater appreciation for how Stan Goldberg drew female characters. Part of it is nostalgic, but seeing his work on Millie and Kathy definitely made me appreciate it more.  Below is the cover art to Archie's Pals 'n' Gals #134 by Stan Goldberg. And a 1 page story called "Safety Worst" by Samm Schwartz from Archie's Girls, Betty and Veronica Annual #6 (1958).

Archie_cover_sm.jpg

Betty_Veronica_Annual_6_pg2.jpg

Edited by comicwiz

I own two Archie covers.

Archie Andrews, Where are you? #31 By Dan DeCarlo (Jul 2008, $178) (click to embiggen)

Archie & Co. by Dan DeCarlo, Comic Art

I bought this one because it features so much of the cast.

Betty and Veronica Double Digest 14 (June 2015, $181) (click to embiggen)

B&V DD 14 by Dan DeCarlo, Comic Art

This one I bought because it is the cover to the first comic that I ever bought my girls. One of them thought they saw their mom (Veronica) on the cover and who am I to argue? :)

Both have rather interesting descriptions so click the image and take a look.

For my eldest daughter's college graduation, I had John Sterling Lucas (Katy Keene) recreate and extend the scene to include my daughter, Katy, and Katy's sister (Sis).
Betty & Veronica Double Digest 14 with Extras Recreated by John Sterling Lucas, Comic Art

Edited by alxjhnsn