• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can someone explain the CGC pricing for grading to me?

2 posts in this topic

I've got a bunch of unslabbed books that I've accrued over the last 25 years or so, and I would like to start getting them graded; however, I'm not sure how much it will set me back.

For example, I've got an Action Comics #23 that's about a 4.5 to a 5--what might that cost me?

Another example: I've got All American Comics #61 that's about a 3.5 to a 4--ditto.

I'm hoping to attend a con before the year is over to get some of my old keys graded, but I want to know how much it will cost me, or if I should just do it piecemeal over the next several months/ years.  I've got some hard to find keys like the two aforementioned as well as some others in varying grades--ranging from 2.0 to about 7 (for GA). 

Can someone just break it down for me in a really straightforward way? 

Best place to look is CGC’s pricing table, but without looking it up if a comic is valued less than $400 grading costs around $35; $400-$1000 is $65, and above that it’s a percentage of book’s value and can get very expensive.  You’ll want to get a one year paid membership for a 10% discount and a credit which can be used for a couple free submissions of lower-value books.