• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazon's THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RINGS OF POWER (2022)
5 5

630 posts in this topic

On 3/17/2018 at 12:50 AM, Senormac said:

I'd love to see them just take the premise of Hobbiton, and The Shire and write some tales about the goings on of hobbits and the hobbit world.  It could be great.  It could be the exact opposite of all these over the top cgi monsters and explosions and car chases..... and just be some good person to person talking...... with a pub involved !!  Please someone do this.  I'll write some stories for you !!!  :wishluck:

The greatest shows in tv history are about nothing more than people communicating with each other 

No offense, but I can't think of anything more boring than that. :foryou:

3 hours ago, Chip Cataldo said:
On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:50 PM, Senormac said:

I'd love to see them just take the premise of Hobbiton, and The Shire and write some tales about the goings on of hobbits and the hobbit world.  It could be great.  It could be the exact opposite of all these over the top cgi monsters and explosions and car chases..... and just be some good person to person talking...... with a pub involved !!  Please someone do this.  I'll write some stories for you !!!  :wishluck:

The greatest shows in tv history are about nothing more than people communicating with each other 

:whatthe:  

Did you find Cheers boring ? 

Did you find All in the Family boring ? 

Did you find Mash boring ? 

Did you find Seinfeld boring ? 

Did you find Friends boring ?

Did you find Gunsmoke boring ? 

Did you find The Odd Couple boring ? 

Did you find Downton Abbey boring ? 

Did you find The Wonder Years boring ? 

Did you find The Bob Newhart show boring ? 

Did you find The Office boring ? 

Granted, many of these are comedies and therefore people laugh when watching, but Hobbits are not adventurers.  It was a fluke that Bilbo and Frodo went out sword fighting and battling orcs etc.  

hm

Maybe I'm just getting old :frown:

Subtle  maybe but not boring. 

Edited by Senormac

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

If I had heard this after the LOTR trilogy I'd have been excited, however now after seeing the Hobbit trilogy that bit of news does more to turn me off to this TV show than it does to make me want to watch it.

6 hours ago, marmat said:

Several reputable media here in spain are announcing that the budget for this show will be 1 billion. 

:ohnoez:

Peter Jackson is definitely interested then........

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎18 at 7:57 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

+1

I would hate to see this show focus on the Hobbits. That is the downfall in the LOTR trilogy, IMHO. I would rather see a TV series that focuses on more interesting peoples of Middle Earth.

On 4/8/2018 at 4:28 PM, kimik said:

+1

I would hate to see this show focus on the Hobbits. That is the downfall in the LOTR trilogy, IMHO. I would rather see a TV series that focuses on more interesting peoples of Middle Earth.

“I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.” 
― Samwise Gamgee

Amazon's The Lord of the Rings series confirms setting: 'Welcome to the Second Age'

A long-standing theory posited the series would focus on a younger Aragorn, played in Peter Jackson’s films by Viggo Mortensen. However, that character, the future ruler of Gondor, was born during the Third Age. So we can nix that rumor right now.

The Second Age is also known as “The Age of Númenor.” Fans will notice that, in the most recently updated map for the Amazon fantasy epic, the island of Númenor is shown in the bottom left corner.

It’s not yet clear whether Númenor will serve as a major setting for Amazon’s The Lord of the Rings, though its presence already answers some questions.

Númenor is considered a mythic lost city of men in the world of Middle-earth, one established on an island in the Great Sea that had been destroyed for thousands of years by the time of Frodo and Aragorn. In The Second Age, according to Tolkien lore, it was said that the island was brought up from the ocean as a gift to men by the Valar (the gods of Middle-earth). The kingdom would later fall after they defy the laws of the deities.

Finally some solid info...

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/everything-we-know-about-the-lord-of-the-rings-amazon-series/

Very interested now! Second age setting provides a lot of possibilities.

A Game-of-thronish Numenor type story might be interesting if done right.

Edited by RedRaven

Just now, media_junkie said:

That is nice, I've never seen that art before.

There was a poster back then that I had on my wall for years I was so in love with it. Used these character designs, but not exactly this layout. I wonder if one influenced the other?

Amazon’s upcoming Lord of the Rings adaptation is bringing in Game of Thrones writer Bryan Cogman as a consultant, according to our sister site Variety. Cogman will work with JD Payne and Patrick McKay, who were tapped to develop the Rings series for the streamer last summer.

Cogman served as a writer and co-executive producer on Thrones‘ just-concluded eighth and final season, having been with the series since Season 1. Starting out as an assistant for showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, Cogman went on to pen a total of 11 episodes of Thrones — most recently Season 8’s second installment, “A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms.” He also developed a concept for a possible Thrones spinoff that HBO eventually passed on.