• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazon's THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RINGS OF POWER (2022)
5 5

630 posts in this topic

On 11/4/2017 at 8:59 AM, Bosco685 said:

‘Lord of the Rings’: Amazon, Warner Bros. in Talks for Series Adaptation (EXCLUSIVE)

the_lord_of_the_rings_golden_movie_logo_

As much as I love the book series and the Peter Jackson movies, this could be interesting.

I first heard about this series from advertisements on the Amazon trucks that are always in my suburban neighborhood.

It was good to enjoy some more Tolkien adaptation.  Overall, I was pleased with it and looking forward to next season. (thumbsu

On 4/6/2023 at 9:30 AM, Bosco685 said:

Now we know why they trumpeted the numbers for the first episode, and then ABSOLUTELY nothing. Shows that do not build an audience through the first season, are almost doomed to lose even more for the second season. This show is clearly not worth the money they spent on it.  Amazon needed this to be a runaway blockbuster to justify the cost, these numbers paint it as an embarrassment.   

The rest of the article about how Jennifer Salke basically throws away money is really eye opening.

I enjoy seeing Tolkien's work in various adaptations, and I enjoyed the first season. But I feel like it really catered to those who have read his work beyond Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. There were a lot of references that I wouldn't have understood if I hadn't read The Silmarillion or any of Tolkien's work that has been published posthumously. 

On 4/6/2023 at 11:42 AM, The Commissioner said:

I enjoy seeing Tolkien's work in various adaptations, and I enjoyed the first season. But I feel like it really catered to those who have read his work beyond Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. There were a lot of references that I wouldn't have understood if I hadn't read The Silmarillion or any of Tolkien's work that has been published posthumously. 

But that's the thing, for the most part the story has nothing to do with Tolkien other than using names, places, and a very lose outline.  Even like 1/2 the characters were original to the show.

On 4/6/2023 at 9:16 AM, drotto said:

But that's the thing, for the most part the story has nothing to do with Tolkien other than using names, places, and a very lose outline.  Even like 1/2 the characters were original to the show.

It's truer than you think if you read the volumes of Tolkien's notes and unfinished tales.  Face facts, there are only a few pages about this time period published during Tolkien's own lifetime.

On 4/7/2023 at 7:20 PM, The Commissioner said:

Very true. The show did a good job with the material they were working with. 

That is very debatedable.  I though the show was boarderline unwatchable. 

On 4/8/2023 at 9:39 AM, drotto said:

You've been saying it for quite a long time.  I think you've spent more time on this thread than you have watching the show.

Needless to say, many folks disagree.  

All shows have their fans and detractors.  

On 4/8/2023 at 12:39 PM, drotto said:

Of course there were negative articles. And that is okay. That doesn't mean the entire show was a bust for 100% of the audience. Some want a simpler story and buildup. 

On 4/8/2023 at 4:18 PM, sfcityduck said:

You've been saying it for quite a long time.  I think you've spent more time on this thread than you have watching the show.

Needless to say, many folks disagree.  

All shows have their fans and detractors.  

Agreed. I would have liked if Amazon had done much more to provide general audience education about the source material (e.g. introduction videos about the overall World of Tolkien and individual character spots). But even without that, I had a good time and it forced me to do some research.