• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazon's THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RINGS OF POWER (2022)
5 5

630 posts in this topic

Amazon's upcoming The Lord of the Rings prequel series has added 20 new actors to its cast. The additional cast members will join the previously announced cast and crew currently filming in New Zealand.

The newly announced cast members are as follows: Cynthia Addai-Robinson, Maxim Baldry, Ian Blackburn, Kip Chapman, Anthony Crum, Maxine Cunliffe, Trystan Gravelle, Sir Lenny Henry, Thusitha Jayasundera, Fabian McCallum, Simon Merrells, Geoff Morrell, Peter Mullan, Lloyd Owen, Augustus Prew, Peter Tait, Alex Tarrant, Leon Wadham, Benjamin Walker and Sara Zwangobani.

“The world that J.R.R. Tolkien created is epic, diverse, and filled with heart. These extraordinarily talented performers, hailing from across the globe, represent the culmination of a multi-year search to find brilliant and unique artists to bring that world to life anew," said showrunners and executive producers J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay in a statement. "The international cast of Amazon’s The Lord of the Rings series is more than just an ensemble. It is a family. We are thrilled to welcome each of them to Middle-earth.”

The idea for a Lord of the Rings television series became official as early as November 2017. While we don't know much about what's in store for the show, we do know that it will chronicle events preceding The Fellowship of the Ring.

More specifically, it will take place during the Second Age, which is when the Rings of Power came into existence. The series will be produced by Amazon Studios alongside the Tolkien Estate and Trust, HarperCollins, and New Line Cinema.

The upcoming “Lord of the Rings” series at Amazon has unveiled the show’s official synopsis.

The epic series is described as follows:

“Amazon Studios’ forthcoming series brings to screens for the very first time the heroic legends of the fabled Second Age of Middle-earth’s history. This epic drama is set thousands of years before the events of J.R.R. Tolkien’s ‘The Hobbit’ and ‘The Lord of the Rings,’ and will take viewers back to an era in which great powers were forged, kingdoms rose to glory and fell to ruin, unlikely heroes were tested, hope hung by the finest of threads, and the greatest villain that ever flowed from Tolkien’s pen threatened to cover all the world in darkness. Beginning in a time of relative peace, the series follows an ensemble cast of characters, both familiar and new, as they confront the long-feared re-emergence of evil to Middle-earth. From the darkest depths of the Misty Mountains, to the majestic forests of the elf-capital of Lindon, to the breathtaking island kingdom of Númenor, to the furthest reaches of the map, these kingdoms and characters will carve out legacies that live on long after they are gone.”

The show’s official Twitter account had previously sent out an image of a map along with the two messages: “One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them, In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie,” as well as “Welcome to the Second Age.” In the Tolkien mythology, the Second Age was the time in which the Rings of Power, including Sauron’s One Ring, came into existence.

The show has assembled a massive cast, which includes: Robert Aramayo, Owain Arthur, Nazanin Boniadi, Tom Budge, Morfydd Clark, Ismael Cruz Córdova, Ema Horvath, Markella Kavenagh, Joseph Mawle, Tyroe Muhafidin, Sophia Nomvete, Megan Richards, Dylan Smith, Charlie Vickers, and Daniel Weyman. 20 more actors were announced for the series back in December.

The “Lord of the Rings” series is written by J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay. In addition, “Game of Thrones” alum Bryan Cogman has signed on as a consulting producer on the project with J.A. Bayona set to direct multiple episodes. In addition to those previously announced, the show’s full creative team will consist of: executive producers Lindsey Weber, Bruce Richmond, Callum Greene, and Amazon’s former head of genre programming Sharon Tal Yguado; writer and executive producer Gennifer Hutchison; writer and executive producer Jason Cahill; writer and executive producer Justin Doble; consulting producer Stephany Folsom; producer Ron Ames; writer and co-producer Helen Shang; and writing consultant Glenise Mullins. Bayona will also executive produce along with his partner Belén Atienza. Chris Newman serves as co-producer.

I hope this is something that looks and feels different from Jackson’s. Huge budget and of course the technology with CGI has improved since then. How many seasons are there? Because if it was only one season at an hour a show, it would still be around the run time of Jackson’s trilogy. They can’t dump that amount of money on one season and let it fail. 

Amazon Prime Video has announced the official premiere date for their new Lord of the Rings TV series so get your calendars ready. Though still without an official title, the show will be released on Friday, September 2, 2022, on Prime Video, over a year from now, with new episodes being released weekly. In addition to the premiere date a first-look at the series has been revealed showing off an unnamed character seemingly standing in front of Valinor. Production on the first season of the show reportedly wrapped up recently with the second season already set to start shooting soon.

“The journey begins September 2, 2022, with the premiere of our original ‘The Lord of the Rings’ series on Prime Video,” Jennifer Salke, head of Amazon Studios, said in a statement. “I can’t express enough just how excited we all are to take our global audience on a new and epic journey through Middle-earth! Our talented producers, cast, creative, and production teams have worked tirelessly in New Zealand to bring this untold and awe-inspiring vision to life.”

Showrunners J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay added, “As Bilbo says, ‘Now I think I am quite ready to go on another journey.’ Living and breathing Middle-earth these many months has been the adventure of a lifetime. We cannot wait for fans to have the chance to do so as well."

Though the story has a happy ending, Weinstein undoubtedly made The Lord of the Rings' start very trying. It's no wonder, then, that someone might've wanted to exact some petty revenge. While appearing on Dax Shepard's podcast Armchair Expert, Frodo actor Wood revealed he saw an orc costume that looked rather familiar (via THR). It came up when Shepard was recalling the behind the scenes drama and Wood interjected:

"It’s funny, this was recently spoken about because Dom [Monaghan] and Bill [Boyd] have a podcast, The Friendship Onion. They were talking to Sean Astin about his first memory of getting to New Zealand. He had seen these Orc masks. And one of the Orc masks — and I remember this vividly — was designed to look like Harvey Weinstein as a sort of a  :censored:  you."

Naturally, Wood's story sparked laughter from Shepard and co-host Monica Padman. However, he didn't feel bad, adding, "I think that is OK to talk about now, the guy is :censored:ing incarcerated. :censored: him."

:roflmao:

On 9/22/2020 at 7:57 AM, alexgross.com said:

everyone loves to poop on GOT these days. this LOTR show would never have been even considered if not for the enormous success that GOT had on hbo. 

now the race is on to see who does fantasy better, amazons new LOTR show, or hbo's GOT dragon show. i like a good contest. i'll be watching both. but if either is as bad as the witcher, then i'm out.

Would HBO have invested in GOT if the Lord of The Rings movies didn't bring in mega-box office

One of the biggest productions to hit the U.K. in years is gearing up to film outside London next spring, Variety can reveal.

Season 2 of Amazon Prime Video’s “Lord of the Rings,” which grabbed international headlines when the streaming player moved locations from New Zealand to the U.K., has set its first filming locations. The move — which was a major upset for the New Zealand production sector — is especially momentous given the U.K relocation marks the first time any of the modern “Lord of the Rings” live-action, on-screen projects have been produced outside of New Zealand, including “The Hobbit” trilogy.

Sources close to production say Bray Film Studios and Bovingdon Airfield will be the initial production facilities used to film the big-budget series. Pre-production is set to begin in the second quarter of 2022.

Based in Maidenhead, to the west of London, Bray Film Studios boasts almost 54,000 square feet and a 183,000-square-foot backlot. “Mamma Mia” and “Rocketman” are among the productions to have used the studio, as well as the series “Bodyguard” and “Dracula.”

Meanwhile, the Bovingdon Airfield, to the north west of London in Hertfordshire, has 60 acres of open land. Movies filmed there include “Justice League” and “Fast and the Furious 6,” while ITV Studios also has a facility on the premises, where entertainment juggernaut “Dancing on Ice” is filmed.

As is expected for such a sprawling production, more filming locations for “Lord of the Rings” will be scouted in time.

On 11/25/2021 at 3:35 PM, media_junkie said:

I had been looking forward to this with excitement, however after watching the junk that was the first 3 episodes of Amazons Wheel of Time, I'll admit that I'm worried now.

I asked around at work and I find it interesting that normal people (not nerds or sci-fi fans like me) liked this show. I’ll check it out in the next few days though. I’ve never heard of the books or source material.