• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazon's THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RINGS OF POWER (2022)
5 5

630 posts in this topic

On 8/16/2022 at 1:20 PM, media_junkie said:

Oh I'm seething on the inside about this.  I will not be watching.

Yeah, I've seen nothing but criticism on every other media outlet that I visit. I can't say that I'm some huge Tolkien fan, but I know a few, and I would confidently say that this production does not honor the material.

Being a big fan of LOTR, I hope they don't screw this up. Diversity casting isn't an issue for me. Middle Earth covers a large area with lots of people and races. The stories and the writing matter along with characters that we would come to care about played by actors who can pull it off. 

I'm going into this expecting to be disappointed but hoping I'm wrong.

On 8/16/2022 at 2:30 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Diversity casting choices, and low-quality set work have been the highlights via my friends.

My biggest worries are..

1. Concentrating on new characters, not ones created by Tolkien. While changing or ignoring the one he actual created.

2. The Harfoots, who are stated to be a part of the Hobbit family, having a big presence.   Tolkien specifically says Hobbits were not important in the second age, yet here they are.

3. Worrier Galadriel.  She is always presented as a feminine, stunningly gorgeous,  and strong woman in the original books.  She is never hinted at as leading armies in armor. 

4. Taking 6000 years and condensing them down to a few seasons with all the same characters.

5. Emo Sauron

6. The interviews have all been about diversity and representation and not the actual story.

7. Disa is not the first female dwarf we have seen.  We saw them in the Hobbit trilogy and they had small beards.

I've heard all the worries/concerns about this show.  Some legitimate and some pretty stupid.  People picking apart the trailer, the "super fan" event, not being true to Tolkien's story, etc...

...but I draw the line here:  If Tom Bombadil doesn't show up in the show I'm going to give it a 0/100 rating:sumo:.

***He's old as dirt

On 8/17/2022 at 1:40 PM, drotto said:

7. Disa is not the first female dwarf we have seen.  We saw them in the Hobbit trilogy and they had small beards.

I saw a lot of blow-back that people were attributing to racism, which was obviously just criticizing the fact that she doesn't have a beard (yet should).

Two more bug reasons to doubt.

1. They basically blocked and ignored Peter Jackson

2. They fired Tom Shippey, who is considered one of the top authorities on Tolkien

Edited by drotto

On 8/18/2022 at 12:42 PM, drotto said:

Two more bug reasons to doubt.

1. They basically blocked and ignored Peter Jackson

2. They fired Tom Shippey, who IA considers on of the top authorities on Tolkien

Who/what is "IA"?

This seems akin to ignoring/firing Feige and Morrison from a comic book movie production.