• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about Gil Kane

44 posts in this topic

I've always been more interested in what the other artists thought of the behavior - it seems to me that most 'fans' don't side with the corporate side of ownership over original pages. One thing is for sure, you start a really complex conversation when you begin to ask questions about how just or fair a law or rule is, and whether or not is should still be observed or enforced based on however you feel about that. Having said that, it may be fair to argue that there are better ways to protest or push back against such dubious rules.

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 9:04 PM, artdealer said:

The rumors abound as to whether it was DC or Marvel, and the stories vary from person to person. 

Gil is dead, and what's the purpose of discussing this topic?

MI

Hi Mitch -- sorry if I caused confusion -- the story was not about Gil -- so nobody should think it was.  I know exactly who told me (her husband was a very well known Silver Age artist) and he and she were expressing the regrets that he didn't take very much as he rode the train while another artist took an entire car full.  The company was throwing it all away and had it out for people to take if they wanted it.  I didn't view it as theft or anything like that.  I was just noting that on at least once occasion the publisher was throwing it all away and at least one artist took artwork that for whatever reason he did not want incinerated.  I do apologize if this is off topic.  I don't much post on these boards and if I have violated a rule, I apologize.

I remember in the 80s there were rumors of others who did this as well, one in particular. It seems as if Gil is the only guy people feel comfortable naming now.  My thought always was this, none of us were there to see it so its sorta hard now to try and suss out truth from innuendo.

On 11/12/2017 at 6:31 AM, Michael (OML)1 said:

Hi Mitch -- sorry if I caused confusion -- the story was not about Gil -- so nobody should think it was.  I know exactly who told me (her husband was a very well known Silver Age artist) and he and she were expressing the regrets that he didn't take very much as he rode the train while another artist took an entire car full.  The company was throwing it all away and had it out for people to take if they wanted it.  I didn't view it as theft or anything like that.  I was just noting that on at least once occasion the publisher was throwing it all away and at least one artist took artwork that for whatever reason he did not want incinerated.  I do apologize if this is off topic.  I don't much post on these boards and if I have violated a rule, I apologize.

Don't know how I missed this thread but:

Actually answering a question, sharing information you have, and clarifying what you meant is about as far from violating a rule as you can get. 

A lot of posters spend their whole message board lives never approaching two out of those three. 

Edited by comix4fun