• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY (2018)
3 3

152 posts in this topic

On 7/29/2020 at 8:35 PM, Bird said:

we are re-watching season 1 in anticipation.

The show vexes me, the actors/characters are so strong and the show seems all character driven but the story is not really even there. Or maybe it is more there than I recall, we will see I guess. The withholding of information makes the construction of the show too obvious in my opinion, but Klaus, Diego, Allison are so good it doesn't quite matter.

I agree.  It's a fun watch but I didn't care for some of the story arcs that felt a bit disjointed.  I didn't care for the ending of season 1 either.  I'm hoping season 2 pulls it together a bit more cohesively.

We all want the next Daredevil, Doom Patrol, Punisher or Young Justice (let's not forget about this show that has masterfully developed the team).

But with this show I like how they have focused on each character's unique challenges and backstory rather than forcing them together toward a team's core mission only. While also ensuring not to rush us too deep into the details where all the mystery of each character is thoroughly revealed. I also like how the time travel story takes up back to a significant shift in America's history with Kennedy and the racial divide that some were tackling head-on. Kind of like with Watchmen how the HBO show was using real history to growth that story.

Still have three episodes left to finish up Season 2.

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

I finished all 20 episodes over two days... 

It was good and I am interested in a season 3. 

You may have finished all 20 episodes in two days, but I suspect it will take more than 2 days for them to have the next 20 episodes ready for you.

Finished Season 2 last night. I liked it!

The way the show weaved together all those individual stories (including the antagonists and what motivated their actions) was very well done. Though due to this many team members and supporting roles it could get a little confusing at times until you watched a little more of the story play out.

I need to rewatch Episode 10 again to think through further the lead-in to a potential Season 3 story. But the show-runners made it worth taking time out of your day for this season for sure. Including the handling of the time travel and historic event influence themes.

The Umbrella Academy season 2 has been streaming on Netflix for a short while, and fans are already clamoring for a season 3. The streaming service may not have confirmed a return for the super-powered siblings, yet the showrunner Steve Blackman has already been talking up a potential sequel series.

Spoiler

The second season ends with the group heading back to the present, yet things are different. There's no Umbrella Academy at all – and instead we have The Sparrow Academy, which also consists of powerful characters. There's also a mysterious floating cube in the final scene, which you get a quick glance at. We all have a fair few questions about what exactly it does, and TV Guide asked Blackman to explain.

"A lot of people may not see that cube at first," he said. "I think [the cube's purpose] will be revealed in season 3, if we're lucky enough to be picked up." Unfortunately, he went into no more detail about the cube.

Another thing the showrunner was quizzed about was whether, now that Hargreeves is still alive, the siblings will be able to work through some of their Daddy issues moving forward.

"I hope so, because they all look pretty stunned when he's standing there," he said. "If you look carefully, he's our Hargreeves, but he looks a little different. It would be a good guess if we get another season that they have a chance to try to work out their issues. They did try in season 2 to some extent, but obviously that Hargreeves knew nothing about them. And you know, this Hargreeves is an older man, but they have a chance to sort of talk to him again, and hopefully they do better than they did in season 2."

There's also the question of what else season 3 will thematically explore. "Trying to understand their origin is one of the themes we are going to address next year," Blackman continued. "The first season was meet the family. Season 2 was get to know the family. Season 3 is, who are we and where did we come from? What are we as superheroes? [That] is really a story I'd love to think about more in season 3."

Edited by Bosco685

10 hours ago, thunsicker said:

You may have finished all 20 episodes in two days, but I suspect it will take more than 2 days for them to have the next 20 episodes ready for you.

Maybe I will start watching Agents of Shield... 

On 8/11/2020 at 9:43 PM, fastballspecial said:

Almost done with season 2. Love love love the music it makes the show so good.

My favorite parts of the 2nd season was the music and Klaus.  He cracks me up.

Edited by 1Cool

I overall like the show, and like all the characters save one, who bugs the living snot out of me. 5 and Klaus are fantastic and get great story arcs.  Plus the actor for 5 is fantastic, he pulls off the old man in a boys body thing possibly the best I have ever seen.  I am in for season 3, and season 2 kept me engaged and I liked it slightly better than season 1.  I just hope that for season 3 they can avoid some of the played out story tropes and plots we got this season.

Edited by drotto

On 8/13/2020 at 4:53 PM, drotto said:

I overall like the show, and like all the characters save one, who bugs the living snot out of me. 5 and Klaus are fantastic and get great story arcs.  Plus the actor for 5 is fantastic, he pulls off the old man in a boys body thing possibly the best I have ever seen.  I am in for season 3, and season 2 kept me engaged and I liked it slightly better than season 1.  I just hope that for season 3 they can avoid some of the played out story tropes and plots we got this season.

Wow, your assessment mirrors mine almost identically.  5 is an amazing actor who does suspend disbelief in his portrayal of an old man trap in a boy's body.  Klaus is my second favorite character and loved the few moments Ben took him over.  I don't dislike any of the actors or characters though.

Not as good as season 1.

They could have condensed a couple of episodes - Klaus as a guru could have been longer as the option for hilarity was certainly there. God bless 90's pop music lyrics (if you didn't get some of his 'teachings'!) - Too much focus on Dave, and Alisons story went on a tad too long, as did Vanya and her closet affair.

I get racism and homophobia were huge back then (and sometimes not much better now) but I watch Umbrella Academy to be entertained. Do we need to be lectured in every show?

Hopefully season 3 will get back to more humour, action and music, with less of the politics.

At least we will find out about Ben.Finally.

Anyone else think Lila will be back?  Great character.

I agree - 5 was awesome again.

6/10

13 hours ago, Beige said:

Not as good as season 1.

They could have condensed a couple of episodes - Klaus as a guru could have been longer as the option for hilarity was certainly there. God bless 90's pop music lyrics (if you didn't get some of his 'teachings'!) - Too much focus on Dave, and Alisons story went on a tad too long, as did Vanya and her closet affair.

I get racism and homophobia were huge back then (and sometimes not much better now) but I watch Umbrella Academy to be entertained. Do we need to be lectured in every show?

Hopefully season 3 will get back to more humour, action and music, with less of the politics.

At least we will find out about Ben.Finally.

Anyone else think Lila will be back?  Great character.

I agree - 5 was awesome again.

6/10

I did not have an issues with the civil rights or homophobia story lines.  I actually liked Allison's, especially since she had very good chemistry with her husband, and it felt like genuine growth for the character. Vanya's on the other hand was so painfully predictable.  I think I figured out the entire arc about 1/2 way through the second episode. It was not bad, just I have seen the exact same story several times before. The only real point was to put Vanya in that building at the right time.

Actually, my biggest issue with season 2 was that many of the individual story lines turned out to be peripheral to the main arc and while offering some nice moments had little impact on the bigger story. Really, only Five's, the Handler's (who was wonderful throughout the season) and Diego's story line really mattered. I actually felt they set up and wasted a few very interesting plot point with Luther and Klaus.

Finished up season 2 of Umbrella Academy this weekend and found myself enjoying it more than season 1.  7.5/10 

It was overall entertaining, had solid acting and some excellent music throughout.

My biggest complaint is the tease of the awesome fight scene with them collectively using their powers in the first episode and then getting none of that the rest of the season.  IMO that opening fight sequence was the best part of the entire show to date.

I enjoyed the story arcs told in season 2 and each character had a little more space to breath as I felt season 1 was a little rushed in the way it told its story. 

It honestly saddens me to see people commenting over and over again about being upset over the introduction of racism and/or homophobia on the show.  It's as if people don't realize that:
The story is told during the 60's which was about as explosive as it gets for race relations in our country

The main characters are A) a black woman in the 60's; how do you think she would react jumping back in time and seeing things go backwards in terms of equality?

A gay man - again in a time when homophobia was even more outright

Vanya who is played by a woman who is a lesbian. 
These are all moments of representation for both a history and the identity of the characters being played. While the story is about superheroes and time travel, they are still humans living in a world of other humans that carry traits of both good and bad human beings.  Anyone not realizing this might need to reflect on why they are so bothered by seeing this and feeling as if its "shoved in their face" or "lectured". 

Edited by Keys_Collector