• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY (2018)
3 3

152 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

Finished up season 2 of Umbrella Academy this weekend and found myself enjoying it more than season 1.  7.5/10 

It was overall entertaining, had solid acting and some excellent music throughout.

My biggest complaint is the tease of the awesome fight scene with them collectively using their powers in the first episode and then getting none of that the rest of the season.  IMO that opening fight sequence was the best part of the entire show to date.

I enjoyed the story arcs told in season 2 and each character had a little more space to breath as I felt season 1 was a little rushed in the way it told its story. 

It honestly saddens me to see people commenting over and over again about being upset over the introduction of racism and/or homophobia on the show.  It's as if people don't realize that:
The story is told during the 60's which was about as explosive as it gets for race relations in our country

The main characters are A) a black woman in the 60's; how do you think she would react jumping back in time and seeing things go backwards in terms of equality?

A gay man - again in a time when homophobia was even more outright

Vanya who is played by a woman who is a lesbian. 
These are all moments of representation for both a history and the identity of the characters being played. While the story is about superheroes and time travel, they are still humans living in a world of other humans that carry traits of both good and bad human beings.  Anyone not realizing this might need to reflect on why they are so bothered by seeing this and feeling as if its "shoved in their face" or "lectured". 

As I have already stated.  I have no issues with the racism or homophobia story lines.  I liked Allison's story arc this season, because it gave genuine growth to a character that came across shallow and self centered in season 1.  Plus, the chemistry wither her husband seemed real and stable.  She was truly faced with giving up a good life and a great marriage (despite the racial challenges) by returning to the future. She was not only giving up someone she loved, but giving up a chance to make an impact on history.  Despite the story being very straight forward that had impact. 

Vanya's, arc was, at its core, was very similar to Allison's. Give her an emotional tie to the new time period, while faced with a civil rights struggle. However, she was already my least favorite character (I find Ellen Page to be a very one dimensional actor and felt that was on full display here), the plot was predictable, and has been done very similar multiple times before. The closeted homosexual that married due to the times, with a husband that is kinda a jerk and gets violent when faced with the truth about his wife.  Doom Patrol did basically did the same plot (flipped) last year, and it was done much better. Brokeback Mountain shared many similar plot points. Plus, unlike Allison, I do not think this arc fundamentally changed Vanya's character.  So while a fundamentally sound idea, the arc was derivative and failed to bring any new ideas or a different twist to the story line.

Edited by drotto

4 minutes ago, drotto said:

Vanya's, arc was, at its core, was very similar to Allison's. Give her an emotional tie to the new time period, while faced with a civil rights struggle. However, she was already my least favorite character (I find Ellen Page to be a very one dimensional actor and felt that was on full display here), the plot was predictable, and has been done very similar multiple times before. The closeted homosexual that married due to the times, with a husband that is kinda a jerk and gets violent when faced with the truth about his wife.  Doom Patrol did basically did the same plot (flipped) last year, and it was done much better. Brokeback Mountain shared many similar plot points. Plus, unlike Allison, I do not think this arc fundamentally changed Vanya's character.  So while a fundamentally sound idea, the arc was derivative and failed to bring any new ideas or a different twist to the story line.

My comment was not at all directed to you.  I don't find any issue at all with viewers criticizing story lines because of the plots being lackluster or being retold in a similar fashion.  Similar tropes can be annoying and I get what you are saying.  I am speaking to other viewpoints criticizing the show mostly for its inclusion of elements they don't care to see because they find racism/sexism/homophobia as being too "preachy or in your face".

Finished season 2 last night. I really enjoyed it. There were some very genuinely funny moments with all of the brothers and sisters besides Vanya. Ellen Page's forehead was featured a bit too prominently IMO. She is the least engaging of the ensemble; just not a dynamic presence. I would have enjoyed more screen time of any of the other actors.

6 hours ago, bb8 said:

Finished season 2 last night. I really enjoyed it. There were some very genuinely funny moments with all of the brothers and sisters besides Vanya. Ellen Page's forehead was featured a bit too prominently IMO. She is the least engaging of the ensemble; just not a dynamic presence. I would have enjoyed more screen time of any of the other actors.

This mirrors my feelings.  The worst cast member also gets to billing.

On 3/4/2019 at 12:35 PM, Spider-Variant said:

I thought the first episode was a little slow, then things really got interesting fast.  But by the last couple of episodes, the series ran out of steam, IMHO.  Didn't like the ending that much either.   Giving this a B-/C+.

I thought Aidan Gallagher (Number 5) did a tremendous job.  Very impressive.  My next favorite character was Klaus.  

Number 5 was electrifying in the 2nd season too... What a great actor. 

6 hours ago, bb8 said:

Honestly, the home wrecking story line did not really endear her to me.    Yes the husband was a jerk, but not sure I condoned much of her actions...

The end of the second season of The Umbrella Academy left us with the introduction of an alternate 2019 which included a very much alive Sir Reginald Hargreeves (Colm Feore) and someone who seemed to be Ben (Justin H. Min). We also saw five people — including a floating cube that dubbed themselves the Sparrow Academy. This new mysterious group of kids aren’t necessarily doppelgangers to the original Umbrella Academy, but they might as well be.

Netflix has unveiled the actors who will make up the Sparrow Academy, which was formed by Hargreeves in this alternate 2019. In addition to Min, Justin Cornwell,  Britne Oldford, Genesis Rodriguez, Cazzie David, Jake Epstein and destined-for-greatness actor known as “Existential Dread Inducing Psykronium Cube” are set to join The Umbrella Academy as this new motley crew with extraordinary abilities. They will join Elliot Page, Tom Hopper, David Castañeda, Emmy Raver-Lampman, Robert Sheehan, Aidan Gallagher, Ritu Arya and Adam Godley who are set to reprise their roles. Production on the 10-episode third season is set to begin in February in Toronto.

he Umbrella Academy is created for television by Steve Blackman who is showrunner and serves as executive producer alongside Jeff F. King, Keith Goldberg, Mike Richardson and Jesse McKeown. Gerard
Way and Gabriel Bá, who created the original comic of which The Umbrella Academy is based, are co-executive producers. The series is produced by UCP, a division of Universal Studio Group, for Netflix.

Read the full character descriptions for the Sparrow Academy characters below.

JUSTIN CORNWELL (Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey, I Am the Night) will play MARCUS, Sparrow #1. A charming, chiseled, colossus. Honest, virtuous, and demanding, Marcus keeps the family together. Graceful but lethal, calculated but compassionate, he is as smart as he is strong. Marcus is disciplined, rational and in control. He oozes confidence and leadership without ever having to raise his
voice.

JUSTIN H. MIN (After Yang, The Umbrella Academy) will play BEN, Sparrow #2. This is not the sweet Ben we know and love. This Ben is a Machiavellian tactician, wrapped up in a pretty boy body with a rumbling inner-squid. Vicious, pragmatic, and hyper-vigilant— Ben is determined to gain his status as the leader at all costs.

BRITNE OLDFORD (The Path, Hunters) will play FEI, Sparrow #3. Fei sees the world in a special way. She comes across as a misanthrope who would rather be alone than spend even a second with you. But truth be told, Fei wishes she had a friend. Most of the time, Fei is the smartest person in the room and willing to work things out. But if you cross her there’s no looking back because Fei won’t stop until the job is done.

JAKE EPSTEIN (Designated Survivor, Suits) will play ALPHONSO, Sparrow #4. Years of crime-fighting have left his face and body with countless visual reminders of his battles. To compensate, Alphonso is armed with a caustic and biting sense of humor. The only thing he likes better than verbally battering anyone foolish enough to get in his face, is a good pizza and a six-pack of beer.

GENESIS RODRIGUEZ (The Fugitive, Big Hero 6) will play SLOANE, Sparrow #5. A romantic and a dreamer who feels a higher cosmic calling leaving her eager to see the world and experience a life beyond her upbringing. But obligations to her family keep Sloane tethered to the Academy, as does her fear of crossing the family line. But Sloane has plans… and one day she might just be brave enough to act on them.

CAZZIE DAVID (86’ed, New York Times best-selling author of “No One Asked for This”) will play JAYME, Sparrow #6. Jayme is a loner hidden under a hoodie. She doesn’t say much because she doesn’t have to. Jayme has a fear-inducing snarl. Catch a glimpse of it, and you’ll run across the street to avoid what follows. Smart and sharp as a knife, she spends most of her time hanging with Alphonso, her only friend.

EXISTENTIAL DREAD INDUCING PSYKRONIUM CUBE (Newcomer) will play CHRISTOPHER, Sparrow #7. Christopher is a telekinetic cube of unknown origin. He can turn the room freezing cold and induce paralyzing fear. He acts as the Sparrows’ consulted oracle who hands out incredible advice and serves as the family mediator. Trustworthy, loyal, and is treated by the Sparrows like any other sibling, Christopher is a force to be reckoned with.

• 301. Meet the Family
  • 302. World’s Biggest Ball of Twine
  • 303. Pocket Full of Lightning
  • 304. Kugelblitz
  • 305. The Kindest Cut
  • 306. Marigold
  • 307. Auf Wiedersehen
  • 308. Wedding at the End of the World
  • 309. Six Bells
  • 310. Oblivion

Edited by Bosco685

The first season of The Umbrella Academy premiered on Netflix on February 15, 2019, with more than 45 million households tuning in to watch the series during its first month. The series was renewed for a second season immediately after and released on July 31, 2020. 

On his Instagram story, Elliot Page posted a photo of Sam Hachey and Kyle, the assistant directors on the set of The Umbrella Academy, looking into the camera with their COVID-safe masks on. Kyle was seen wearing a shirt with ‘Protect Trans Kids’ written over the transgender flag, possibly supporting Page’s transgender journey. Alongside expressing his love and gratitude for the assistant directors, Elliot also captioned the image announcing that Season 3 of The Umbrella Academy has almost wrapped.

Umbrella_Academy.PNG.c62a4a3642abcbc467028ad4aae65e0d.PNG

On 8/28/2021 at 12:27 PM, media_junkie said:

I've never watched the show, and really have no intention of watching it, however now that Ellen Page has transitioned to Elliot Page, how is that handled in the show?  

The transition happened after Season Two. So we won't know anything until Season Three.