• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney streaming service impact on Marvel content
1 1

124 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

Must admit, it will be super hard to top Netflixs Punisher show if Disney takes up the challenge of making a new Punisher series. 

Can Disney pick up the entire cast and crew since the show is cancelled? I'm assuming if it takes that route, it can also capture the existing atmosphere and direction.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Can Disney pick up the entire cast and crew since the show is cancelled? I'm assuming if it takes that route, it can also capture the existing atmosphere and direction.

My guess is yes if the cast and crew are willing to do it, because.....

Image result for it's all about the benjamins

Edited by kimik

The Disney+ streaming platform will be home to a pair of nonfiction projects from Marvel Studios, examining the roles of creators, fans, and characters on the company's legacy and historical context. Titled Marvel's Hero Project and Marvel's 616, the projects join a growing roster of nonfiction programming planned for the upcoming streaming service, according to an official statement released by Marvel. The shows join a number of announced and rumored TV series featuring characters and actors from the first 11 years of Marvel Studios films, appearing in in-continuity Marvel Cinematic Universe shows on the streaming network. You can see the official synopses for the shows below.

Marvel’s Hero Project reveals the remarkable, positive change several young heroes are making in their own communities. These inspiring kids have dedicated their lives to selfless acts of bravery and kindness, and now, Marvel celebrates them as the true Super Heroes they are. Marvel’s Hero Project is produced by Marvel New Media in partnership with Maggievision Productions. Executive Produced by Joe Quesada, Stephen Wacker, Shane Rahmani, Liza Wyles and Sarah Amos for Marvel and Maura Mandt and John Hirsch for MaggieVision Productions. Marvel’s 616 (working title) is an anthological documentary series exploring the intersection between Marvel’s rich legacy of stories, characters and creators and the world outside your window. Told through the lens of a diverse group of filmmakers, each documentary will dive into the rich historical, cultural and societal context that has become inseparable from stories of the Marvel Universe.

Marvel's 616 is part of Disney+'s exclusive multi-year production agreement with David Gelb (“Chef’s Table,” “Jiro Dreams of Sushi”), Brian McGinn (“Chef’s Table,” “Amanda Knox”) and Jason Sterman (“13th,” “Five Came Back”) of Supper Club. The series is produced in partnership with Marvel New Media. Executive Produced by Joe Quesada, Stephen Wacker, Shane Rahmani, John Cerilli, Harry Go and Sarah Amos for Marvel and David Gelb, Brian McGinn and Jason Sterman for Supper Club. "616" is a reference to the canonical distinction of the "main" Marvel Comics Universe within Marvel's publishing multiverse. Largely a distinction used by editorial and fans, it has occasionally been referenced in-story, and was an Easter egg in last year's Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

Some more announcements made today

For its Marvel brand, Disney will have four different live-action series featuring Scarlet Witch and Vision, Loki, Bucky Barnes (the Winter Soldier) and Sam Wilson (Falcon) and Hawkeye.

Head of Marvel Kevin Feige said the Marvel series will connect directly to the cinematic universe and to each other.

An animated series called “What If” will also be available on Disney+. It will explore hypothetical questions like: what would have happened if Peggy Carter had been given the super serum instead of Steve Rogers?

Disney Assumes Full Control of Hulu in Deal With Comcast

hulu-logo.png?w=640&h=360&crop=1

Disney is now the only one with its hands on Hulu’s steering wheel.

Disney and Comcast announced a deal under which Disney will assume full operational control of Hulu, effective immediately. Within five years, Comcast has agreed to sell its Hulu stake to Disney for at least $5.8 billion.

Under the deal, Comcast’s NBCUniversal will continue to license content to Hulu through late 2024. However, as soon as next year, NBCU will have the right to pull back programming previously licensed exclusively to Hulu (continuing to make it available to Hulu on a nonexclusive basis for a reduced licensing fee). And by 2022, NBCUniversal will have the right to cancel most of its content-licensing agreements with Hulu. NBCU is planning to launch a free, ad-supported streaming service next year.

“We are now able to completely integrate Hulu into our direct-to-consumer business and leverage the full power of The Walt Disney Company’s brands and creative engines to make the service even more compelling and a greater value for consumers,” Disney chairman/CEO Bob Iger said in a statement about the pact.

:(

BET: Of the Netflix Marvel heroes, which one would you be most excited to get into a movie first?

KF: I don’t know. There were a lot of great characters that were on those Netflix series, and I think there is a period of time…it’ll be a while before we could use any of them based on what the contracts were, so I’m not sure. And also, even answering that question is a spoiler. But there are some great Marvel characters there. Who would you want to see?

BET: Luke Cage for sure. When I spoke to Ryan Coogler at the Black Panther junket I asked him about a possible crossover with Black Panther and Luke Cage, and he immediately deferred to you. And I asked Cheo Coker as well for Luke Cage. He’d love to see it but deferred to you as well.

Marvel Studios isn't saying much about their plans for the future. But one thing we do know is that Disney+  will be a huge part of it.

Speaking to Mashable over the phone, studio president Kevin Feige gushed about the opportunity that their Disney+ projects give them "to further expand and link together the MCU between different media, films and streaming." 

"That has never been done before," he added. 

While that is basically true, the idea of interconnected shows and movies has been touted by Marvel before. You'll probably remember that the early marketing for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.leaned heavily on the idea that it was a cohesive, interlocking part of the MCU, and that people on both sides were happy to tease the possibility of a Defenders / Avengers crossover that never happened. But the connection has only ever gone in one direction — the movies affecting the shows, as when S.H.I.E.L.D. dealt with the fallout from the events of Captain America: The Winter Soldier — when it's been there at all.

What's different with the Disney+ series is that the cross-pollination will go both ways. Shows about Loki, Scarlet Witch and Vision, and Falcon and Winter Soldier are already in the works, and they won't just be codas or footnotes to their cinematic arcs. Feige expressed his hope that the Disney+ shows would allow them not just to dig deeper into these characters, but to "do things shockingly and unexpectedly that change those characters in big ways, so the next appearance on the big screen will be informed by what they’ve gone through in Disney+ series." 

Granted, we won't know until these shows premiere just how interesting or essential they'll end up being. Promises of inter-connectivity make for good marketing talk, and it's possible that in the end, marketing talk is all they'll really amount to. But for those wondering if Wanda and Vision might ever cross paths again with Captain Marvel and Spider-Man, or worried that a Sam Wilson show means we'll never see him as Cap on the big screen — don't give up on your dreams just yet.