• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Stamps???
5 5

94 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I love learning about comics and there history and I have not learned a lot about this subject and I was wondering if I could have some help with learning about these little guys.  I bought these two comics two years ago and they have two little red star stamps on them.

What are they?

What is the point of them?

Where did the comics come from?

Does the color have any significance to them?

IMG_5121.JPG

IMG_5125.JPG

I don't know for sure, but these star stamps often appeared on books with Mark Jewelers inserts in them so it may be connected to military bases where those books were sold?

1 minute ago, JR Web-Head said:

These two books do not have the Mark Jewelers inserts in them.  So does that mean they should of had them in it or did they have both types of books "Star Stamps" with Mark Jewelers inserts and without?

No, they're both too early for the inserts, which first appeared in ASM 96 (National Diamond Sales lingerie insert) but I'm guessing the star relates to where they were sold - link here to a previous question:

I'm sure someone here will know for sure and chip in soon.

2 minutes ago, JR Web-Head said:

Thanks "Marwood and I"

Good I hope so.  I wonder if these are sought after more or not?  I also wonder what is the percentage of comics out there have this stamp?    

Let's see if we can call on someone active who may know from the previous thread - @rjrjr - are you reading us! :wishluck:

Good luck @JR Web-Head (thumbsu

3 minutes ago, JR Web-Head said:

Thanks "Marwood and I".

You're welcome. Spidey books with stamps are cool. I see you asked this question in the SA section also, and you're probably get a response there. Last invite from me, to the man who knows everything on inserts - calling @awe4one :headbang: 

Just now, Marwood & I said:

You're welcome. Spidey books with stamps are cool. I see you asked this question in the SA section also, and you're probably get a response there. Last invite from me, to the man who knows everything on inserts - calling @awe4one :headbang: 

Yeah I didn't see a the main thread question section until I posted it over there, my bad.  I love any kind of stamp on any Spider-Man books it makes things so interesting to learn about.  Thank you for your help I really hope to find the answer out about these little red stars.  Thank you for adding @jrjr to this thread too. 

So - the armed forces inserts - the "stamps" look very similar.

For books with inserts - the stamp and insert make them more desirable. The common assumption is that the stamps were from books at overseas stations/foreign deployment. The stamps look  similar to what I have seen on thee later books.

one of the better pages for the inserts - ) by the boardie mentioned above)

http://www.awe4one.com/NDS-MJ Inserts/Insert webpage.html

1 minute ago, W16227 said:

So - the armed forces inserts - the "stamps" look very similar.

For books with inserts - the stamp and insert make them more desirable. The common assumption is that the stamps were from books at overseas stations/foreign deployment. The stamps look  similar to what I have seen on thee later books.

one of the better pages for the inserts - ) by the boardie mentioned above)

http://www.awe4one.com/NDS-MJ Inserts/Insert webpage.html

So the "stamps" are different from the inserts correct?  Because my two books do not have the inserts.

48 minutes ago, JR Web-Head said:

So the "stamps" are different from the inserts correct?  Because my two books do not have the inserts.

The star stamp usually means they were sold on a military base, probably even at an overseas one. The cashiers would typically stamp them as proof the items were paid for. 

Unfortunately it looks like somebody has already pulled yours out- something that we usually done to books with those inserts as they made the book themselves cumbersome to read (and the earlier books with the national diamond inserts included sexy lingerie ads, in which case the comic was probably the thing that was in the way :blush: ).

-J.

26 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

The star stamp usually means they were sold on a military base, probably even at an overseas one. The cashiers would typically stamp them as proof the items were paid for. 

Unfortunately it looks like somebody has already pulled yours out- something that we usually done to books with those inserts as they made the book themselves cumbersome to read (and the earlier books with the national diamond inserts included sexy lingerie ads, in which case the comic was probably the thing that was in the way :blush: ).

-J.

I don’t think my books had the MJ insert in them.  The earliest MJ insert was in Amazing Spider-Man #96 and the month & year was (May 1971). My books came out in (July & November 1968) two years early.  I really want to pick up an issue with the sexy lingerie ad in it. 

Edited by JR Web-Head
Added more info.

11 minutes ago, JR Web-Head said:

I don’t think my books had the MJ insert in them.  The earliest MJ insert was in Amazing Spider-Man #96 and the month & year was (May 1971). My books came out in (July & November 1968) two years early.

NDS books came before MJI and they can also have the star stamps if sold overseas. 

Alas, I believe your inserts have simply been removed.   :sorry:

-J.

**Correction, these are actually not insert books at all.  Just books with star stamps on the covers.  

Edited by Jaydogrules

5 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

NDS books came before MJI and they can also have the star stamps if sold overseas. 

Alas, I believe your inserts have simply been removed.   :sorry:

-J.

**Correction, these are actually not insert books at all.  Just books with star stamps on the covers.  

So do you know about the colors of the stamps?  I have heard they had different colors did that have anything to do with the branch of Military the book was sold at?  Like Blue =Navy, Red =Air Force, so on and so on?

6 minutes ago, JR Web-Head said:

So do you know about the colors of the stamps?  I have heard they had different colors did that have anything to do with the branch of Military the book was sold at?  Like Blue =Navy, Red =Air Force, so on and so on?

I don't believe there is any significance to the star stamps at all in the absence of the inserts, and there is no reason to believe they were sold at or near a military base just because they have star stamps.  It could just be some kid messing around with his books.

-J.

Here's two more early star stamps on FF 73&76 I'm pretty sure I have one or two more FFs with stamps before inserts were used.

I feel these are also military designations.the stamps match what my other mark jewlerys stamps look like.their stamp locations generally tend to be by the price boxes.

2017-11-12_20.24.54.jpg