• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reader Survey variants in DC Comics
2 2

23 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Metarog said:

Cool stuff... I have one of the Man of Steel Raffle Edition TBPs with an enclosed letter from DC to the LCS stating they won one.

Nice!   Those are very hard to find with the letter still intact.    For anyone interested, following is a copy of the letter that the comic book shops received and also a copy of the letter you would have received if you won the raffle from sending in the survey.  I give credit to the guy who founded "Comicbooks for Kids" for providing these letters.   Here's a link to his site, which is dedicated to providing comic books for kids in hospitals.

https://www.comicbooksforkids.org/

MOS scans0001.jpg

MOS scans0002.jpg

I mentioned another Survey version on the old STL forum when I started a thread about the 1978 survey - this one is in Dr. Fate #8 July 1989 ; I think when I checked mile high at the time for other issues from that month there was another title listed as a survey variant but not in stock. 

The Survey consists of a Letter, Survey form and Redemption card all inside the unsealed envelope which is glued into the page margin ; the envelope has a stamp on so this must have been very limited distribution due to the sheer expense involved. The reward for completing the survey is a Batman Movie Poster and Book, plus because the envelope is glued in you can claim a fresh copy of the comic in question. 

IMG_0153_zps986462dd.jpg

IMG_0154_zps70001ac6.jpg

Edited by David Buck

3 hours ago, David Buck said:

I mentioned another Survey version on the old STL forum when I started a thread about the 1978 survey - this one is in Dr. Fate #8 July 1989 ; I think when I checked mile high at the time for other issues from that month there was another title listed as a survey variant but not in stock. 

The Survey consists of a Letter, Survey form and Redemption card all inside the unsealed envelope which is glued into the page margin ; the envelope has a stamp on so this must have been very limited distribution due to the sheer expense involved. The reward for completing the survey is a Batman Movie Poster and Book, plus because the envelope is glued in you can claim a fresh copy of the comic in question. 

IMG_0153_zps986462dd.jpg

IMG_0154_zps70001ac6.jpg

thanks for adding that info David.   That's really awesome. 

I found a spare Superman 418 with the Waldenbooks survey inside.   If anyone wants it, please let me know.   I've seen a lot of these Superman 418 newsstand issues, and this is only the second one I've seen with the survey still inside.

866150762_SM418surveyfront.thumb.jpg.902401cb8bd1dd0fd50df36bad3e91c0.jpg

1298615975_SM418surveycenterfold.thumb.jpg.cf9474080643796b5b3c503cfcb33cc2.jpg

On 11/17/2017 at 3:23 PM, David Buck said:

I've found the Mile High listing I mentioned - It's for Doc Savage #11 August 1989 - so there appears to be a two month Window Jul-Aug 1989 for this particular survey - so far 2 direct market titles only 

I just saw a Blackhawk #5 (August 1989) with the same reader survey show up on ebay today.  For the record, starting big was set at $77 with no bites yet.

On 10/25/2020 at 4:05 PM, Graydog said:

I found this copy of Who Who’s 14 with the Waldenbooks survey.  I did mail one in when I was in junior high.  Instead of Crisis on Captive Earth #1, it was a copy of Legends #1.

9E79F648-3FCE-4F3C-9CFA-BCB398A69C97.jpeg

5546A956-6732-4837-B073-6E5377EB5073.jpeg

05189FB1-D7CE-4549-A719-8E78A6C07B4F.jpeg

That's really cool @Graydog    Thanks for sharing and welcome to the boards!   I will add it to the list.   Following is list of known comics with the DC reader survey shown above:

Justice League of America 249 released Jan 2nd 1986, Batman 394 released Jan 9th, 1986, Superman 418 also released on Jan 9th 1986, and Who's Who 14 released on Jan 16th, 1986.   This makes me think there are many more survey variants than in that month than just these four.

On 11/14/2017 at 2:19 PM, Metarog said:

Cool stuff... I have one of the Man of Steel Raffle Edition TBPs with an enclosed letter from DC to the LCS stating they won one.

On 11/14/2017 at 7:42 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

Nice!   Those are very hard to find with the letter still intact.    For anyone interested, following is a copy of the letter that the comic book shops received and also a copy of the letter you would have received if you won the raffle from sending in the survey.  I give credit to the guy who founded "Comicbooks for Kids" for providing these letters.   Here's a link to his site, which is dedicated to providing comic books for kids in hospitals.

https://www.comicbooksforkids.org/

MOS scans0001.jpg

MOS scans0002.jpg

I have several sets of these . Here were some I sent to CGC to have them break out the Store Copy from the Raffle Edition on the Census. 

Man of Steel Raffle Store/ Customer Editions https://boards.cgccomics.com/blogs/entry/5190-man-of-steel-raffle-store-customer-editions/