• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

mikehb

2 posts in this topic

I have a potentially valuable comic book . It has not ben graded yet. It has some scotch tape on cover.Should  i have it professionally

removed or is the preferred grading of a comic book be judged on its own merits? I have seen this book commanding prices of $1500-10,000.Thank you.

21 hours ago, mike hb said:

I have a potentially valuable comic book . It has not ben graded yet. It has some scotch tape on cover.Should  i have it professionally

removed or is the preferred grading of a comic book be judged on its own merits? I have seen this book commanding prices of $1500-10,000.Thank you.

you should take pics of the comic from multiple angles and distances, and send the pics to someone who professionally does comic restorations.  You can get some estimates on what can/cannot or should/should not be done, and possible estimates of the grades with and without the tape.  Ideally, you might consider paying that person for his time estimate.  In lieu of that, you can just post pictures here.  People here are knowledgeable and loving tossing out opinions.  Or if your goal is to sell it eventually anyways, you might get offers.

Also, I don't know you or how much you know/don't know about comic pricing, but make sure when you're looking at prices for comparison that you're looking at 'sold' copies vs copies for sale.  And in general you should attempt to be conservative about your achievable grades and prices, especially if you have little history selling.  And when you're talking about amounts in the thousands, its also important to account for all the fees and taxes involved.