• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whitman / gold key

23 posts in this topic

did all gold key comics become whitmans in or about 1977 or are whitmans variants of gold key and, if so, does anyone care about a 1977 whitman variant (lost in space). i see there's some interest in whitman funny books from 1980 or so, I guess because the print-runs were low?

thanks

Until the very end, you will find both GK and Whitman copies of the same issue. There are less Whitman copies out there so you'll sometimes find a small bump in price in relation to it's GK counterpart. But the bumps are small and it's more likely you find dealers price both the same...

Jim

thanks. i priced it at maybe a buck more than i would have the regular issue. we'll see.

i take it that the whitman DCs are far less common? that seems to be the case among my books.

did all gold key comics become whitmans in or about 1977 or are whitmans variants of gold key and, if so, does anyone care about a 1977 whitman variant (lost in space). i see there's some interest in whitman funny books from 1980 or so, I guess because the print-runs were low?

thanks

- 1962 Western Publishing ends their relationship with Dell and starts publishing comics under their Gold Key label (newsstand distribution)

- early 1970s Western Publishing begins publishing comics under their Whitman label (Jan 1972 Walt Disney Showcase #6 is the earliest issue I can verify that exists as both a Gold Key and as a Whitman).

- 1980 Western Publishing stops publishing comics under the Gold Key label (newsstand) but continues publishing under their Whitman label (direct sale)

- 1984 Western Publishing stops their Whitman label (March)

That's a nice run-down there.

I had this auction end tonight, and was a bit baffled by the ending price, and had a request to take it (and other listings) off eBay.

Is there some special Whitman in there? Just curious. I've found the Whitman "variants" of Gold Key books to be so common that I barely pay them any notice anymore. In fact, I didn't even mention Whitman in this listing.

If there really is a premium on the Whitmans, I'd like to figure out which books might be tough, to keep an eye out for them in my travels.

Any info appreciated. TIA.

I don't see why any of those 25 and 30 cent Whitman copies would be jacking up the price. Unless there are a couple of completists fightin' over one of them. I always thought that only the pre-pack only books provided the real price run-ups.

That's a nice run-down there.

I had this auction end tonight, and was a bit baffled by the ending price, and had a request to take it (and other listings) off eBay.

Is there some special Whitman in there? Just curious. I've found the Whitman "variants" of Gold Key books to be so common that I barely pay them any notice anymore. In fact, I didn't even mention Whitman in this listing.

If there really is a premium on the Whitmans, I'd like to figure out which books might be tough, to keep an eye out for them in my travels.

Any info appreciated. TIA.

the non variant stuff as been picking up, people who are bored collecting the same old Marvel/DC superhero stuff are now moving on to this stuff, its more of a challenge plus you did have some whitman GRIMM`s GHOST STORIES in there.

I have been collecting the UFO comics stuff from this era and this stuff holds up just as good as the average Marvel stuff for that era.

This was the only thread I found that seemed to ask what I need to know. I just picked up about 1200 late 70s early80s books that haven't been touched in 20+ years. Very clean stuff but no super major keys.

Anyway there are 12 Whitman books that I couldn't seem to find list in the guide only the gold key versions. I know there are from 3 packs as 2 of them still have the original bags. I would like to get an idea of rarity and value on them The books are in VF/NM shape and are

Star trek 62-64

Black Hole 1-3

Flash Gordon 19-21

Buck rOgers 1-3.

Thanks

James G

Just out of curiosity...

I own a Whitman copy of Daisy and Donald #45 from 1980 (I think) and I wasn't even aware that a Gold Key version existed. Is the Whitman issue rare/valuable? I've done a bit of research and found that it had a very low print run or something along those lines, but I've never been able to find an accurate value.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If anyone is interested, i did sell the lost in space whitman "variant" for my "premium" price (which was probably 1/2 guide + $1 or something like that). at this point i have no idea what # it was.