• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic Comics/Classics Illustrated
2 2

66 posts in this topic

On 12/24/2017 at 10:56 AM, gadzukes said:

This is my favorite of the run because of the back cover.  All of the others have boring back covers.

P1140213.JPG

P1140214.JPG

I think it's the (genie's) front that provokes the most comment on this one.  Redrawn for later printings, I believe.

11 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I think it's the (genie's) front that provokes the most comment on this one.  Redrawn for later printings, I believe.

Yes, the front cover is fantastic.... but then as a bonus you get the cool back cover.   In the CGC slabbed world we get to see both.

Just now, gadzukes said:

Yes, the front cover is fantastic.... but then as a bonus you get the cool back cover.   In the CGC slabbed world we get to see both.

I agree that's a very cool back cover.

2 minutes ago, gadzukes said:
11 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

My wife just looked at the cover and asked why his pubic hair was showing. 

Because these books were meant to be educational! 

It is listed in the promotional section of the guide as a 1951 Classics giveaway. Fairly pricey. I have never seen one before. It showed up in a low grade box of kids comics (Harveys, Charltons, Archies) that had been stashed in our backroom for a few years.

Mainly wondering if it is really scarce or just flying under my radar.

4 hours ago, Ameri said:

Here's the 1962 UK version of Dr. No and 1963 Showcase Comics 43. The US version changed the coloring of the characters and other edits to meet Comics Code requirements.   

doctor no comparison1.jpg

doctor no comparison2.jpg

doctor no comparison3.jpg

doctor no comparison4.jpg

doctor no comparison5.jpg

doctor no comparison6.jpg

That's surprising. I thought "Classics Illustrated" was reserved only for 19th century or earlier novels, not contemporary detective fiction. A "cash-in"?

I love the series and there are several I am trying to buy which I won't disclose at this time.  Heritage had some original artwork from a few issues I really wanted but could live bid and discovered someone else wanted more.

One of my favorite collections was a Lady's Classic Illustrated collection from her childhood. She wanted $ 300 for them. The 1 was coverless, but she had most of the first 50, all in solid mid grade, all 1st prints. One of my favorites was this one. ... not the same copy.  GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

y37hNiE.jpg