• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Amazing Covers of Mac Raboy
3 3

216 posts in this topic

Was just organizing some stuff and ran into a sandpit when I pulled out a stack of books featuring Mac's artwork.  As anyone who read my Overstreet article on Mac  a few years back knows, I think his talent was unparalleled.  In fact, that article was originally titled "The Greatest (Comic Book) Artwork Ever Sold" - a play on words that, for whatever reason, got lost in translation during editing.  Anyway, it would be great to have a thread showcasing his talents and really hoping for some great replies.  Here are a couple photos (sorry, iPhone) to get this thread started, the first is inspired by the Season ...  

IMG_3250.JPG

Edited by LearnedHand

4 minutes ago, LearnedHand said:

Was just organizing some stuff and ran into a sandpit when I pulled out a stack of books featuring Mac's artwork.  As anyone who read my Overstreet article on Mac  a few years back knows, I think his talent was unparalleled.  In fact, that article was originally titled "The Greatest (Comic Book) Artwork Ever Sold" - a play on words that, for whatever reason, got lost in translation during editing.  Anyway, it would be great to have a thread showcasing his talents and really hoping for some great replies.  Here are a couple photos (sorry, iPhone) to get this thread started, the first is inspired by the Season ...  

IMG_3250.JPG

I love Mac, but you may have started with his worst cover! :)

I've always thought this was one of the best uses of the swastika on these WWII propaganda covers.  Very different message than Pep No. 20, but very similar to Green Lama No. 6 - eradication from Earth.

IMG_3254.JPG

Edited by LearnedHand

....I'm as patriotic as the next guy........ but I must confess a fondness for his Sci Fi efforts...... the cool Wall Street cover ....... and last but not least, the Penguins ....only a genius could have pulled that one off.... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

14 hours ago, sagii said:

This has always been Raboy's master piece for me. :D

Master Comics #23.jpg

I concur and have an exact replica poster of this illustration masterpiece on my living room wall.  Was smitten with Raboy's masterful artistry when first reading The Steranko History of Comics Vol. 2 back in 1972 and I've been an immensely passionate fan of his art ever since.  :x

I've always wondered if this original cover artwork still exists with Mac's family beneficiaries or buried somewhere in an art collector's vault for no one to admire.  Other than his Flash Gordon Sunday Strips you rarely see surviving examples of his original Fawcett work.

Edited by Mr.TawkyTawny

Great artist.  I've mentioned before it was Raboy and Lou Fine that got me hooked on GA through Alan Light's reprints (CM Jr. and the Ray/Black Condor).  I felt Raboy's art just seemed so effortless and smooth.  Here's one that I was happy to get some time ago.

1911121355481.jpg

1911121355481.thumb.jpg.7849c14ced7c2f4ae1814cd3c1311f68.jpg

Edited by telerites

On 12/31/2017 at 12:09 PM, telerites said:

Great artist.  I've mentioned before it was Raboy and Lou Fine that got me hooked on GA through Alan Light's reprints (CM Jr. and the Ray/Black Condor).  I felt Raboy's art just seemed so effortless and smooth.  Here's one that I was happy to get some time ago.

1911121355481.jpg

1911121355481.thumb.jpg.7849c14ced7c2f4ae1814cd3c1311f68.jpg

Great cover, a very thoughtful donor donated this Dynamic Comics original ink and pencil artwork to the Library of Congress. (thumbsu

Dynamic Comics 9 Original Raboy.jpg

Edited by Mr.TawkyTawny

7 hours ago, comicnoir said:

I was asked for permission to use a scan for a project on World War 2 Japanese internment camps. There is a thread here describing its objectives and getting use of Okajima books owned by boardies. 

The request was for my Okajima copy of Master Comics #51. I re-scanned and sent it. Now I'm re-posting it here.

master comics 51.jpeg

That's a beautiful cover and a beautiful book.

20 hours ago, comicnoir said:

I was asked for permission to use a scan for a project on World War 2 Japanese internment camps. There is a thread here describing its objectives and getting use of Okajima books owned by boardies. 

The request was for my Okajima copy of Master Comics #51. I re-scanned and sent it. Now I'm re-posting it here.

master comics 51.jpeg

miss okajima's copy and mr. eldon hamann's copy.

master51.jpg