• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Amazing Covers of Mac Raboy
3 3

216 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Since @Straw-Manhas apparently been sleeping on the job (as opposed to me just being AWOL!), I thought I'd revive this thread. Slowly chipping away at the few Raboy covers I've been missing. 

2021-05-12-0001.jpeg

Stunner stunner stunner :applause:

(Just know you are not approved for anymore Board leave time any day soon )

On 3/15/2020 at 12:38 AM, William-James88 said:

Is Mac Raboy the cover artist for Captain Marvel Jr 29?
The overstreet guide excludes it from their list (and yet has 32 there, which is false) and thus so does CGC.

However, in the DC database, it is said to be Raboy

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Captain_Marvel,_Jr._Vol_1_29

So which is it?

Image result for captain marvel jr 29

I'm inclined to think it's Raboy. I believe it is right around the time he bowed out, but the fact that he did the art on the interior story linked to the cover--at least, I think he did!--makes me inclined to credit him with the cover, too. 

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

One of the difficulties in attributing covers to Raboy is that he reused his stuff and Fawcett reused his stuff after he left. I just noticed this duplication a couple of days ago when trying to get my scans organized. 

0710cc96-ad57-4186-b417-ea0bc9f55d00_zpswcusux32.jpeg

lf_zpsaiqq6nkm.jpeg

:golfclap:simply AMAZING collection T 

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

One of the difficulties in attributing covers to Raboy is that he reused his stuff and Fawcett reused his stuff after he left. I just noticed this duplication a couple of days ago when trying to get my scans organized. 

0710cc96-ad57-4186-b417-ea0bc9f55d00_zpswcusux32.jpeg

It wouldn't surprise to find the image on the newspaper is a swipe from an earlier interior panel

I have been very fond of Mac's Dynamic 9 cover since I first saw it in the Gerber guide. 

It is especially nice to find someone has posted the original art                                                            

12992797755_30fafb0c3e_w.jpg 

Edit:  Mr. Tawky Tawny posted a scan of this art on the first page.  My scan has been put through a yellow filter to enhance the contrast.

51306980493_7c96eef9cc_o.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun