• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Amazing Covers of Mac Raboy
3 3

216 posts in this topic

This is a fun comparison study between Mac's original artwork for Master Comics #27 and the completed printed cover.  Amazing how GA typical coloring brings out the dimensional boldness and depth of field intensity from his flat pencil and charcoal sketches.  Truly magical transformation.

Master Comics 27 Original Raboy.jpg

Master Comics 27.jpg

Edited by Mr.TawkyTawny

13 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

i've been after an upgrade of 27 that wouldn't send me to the poorhouse for years.  this'un will have to do.

master27.jpg

Congrats! One of the truly classic covers in comics!! It definitely makes my short list with covers like More Fun 54, Superman 14 and Silver Streak 6.  :cloud9:

7 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Congrats! One of the truly classic covers in comics!! It definitely makes my short list with covers like More Fun 54, Superman 14 and Silver Streak 6.  :cloud9:

I used to own the Church copy of that one. Wish I still had it.

Ken

27 minutes ago, Inaflash said:

I used to own the Church copy of that one. Wish I still had it.

Ken

I can sympathize with you, although I have no experience with torturous decisions like that. I guess that's one advantage to the shallow end of the collecting pool: it means never having to make the tough decisions between keeping a killer pedigree or paying the mortgage or getting your transmission fixed, for instance. At least you got to call it your own for a while...   :foryou:

On 12/30/2017 at 12:55 PM, LearnedHand said:

IMG_3250.JPG

Edited December 3

On 12/30/2017 at 2:16 PM, Straw-Man said:
On 12/30/2017 at 1:00 PM, Sqeggs said:

I love Mac, but you may have started with his worst cover! :)

"may?"

+2

Most definitely, even though I do have a so-called "file copy" of this book in my collection.  :$

It would have been better to start off with one of his classic early Master covers such as his stupendous V  for Victory cover for Master 27.  :luhv:

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/4/2018 at 11:50 AM, Straw-Man said:

miss okajima's copy and mr. eldon hamann's copy.

master51.jpg

Beautiful!  And, let's add the Crowley copy to the mix.  Incidentally, I almost started this thread with this book - aside from the great (understated) WWII cover, the figures, even the leather jackets, are so realistic.  

IMG_3274.JPG

Or, let's make it a quad - here's the "D" Copy.  

Hey, Lou Fine, Straw-Man and Sqeggs: so, you gents aren't loving the Green Lama cover even though it's one of Mac's very few painted covers and one he painstakingly did to distinguish it from the typical?  OK, well, Master #27 isn't a flag cover, but if you like Mac's flag covers, maybe these (the last 2 images) will help redeem?  :)

IMG_3328.JPG

IMG_3284.jpg

IMG_3329.JPG

58 minutes ago, LearnedHand said:

Or, let's make it a quad - here's the "D" Copy.  

Hey, Lou Fine, Straw-Man and Sqeggs: so, you gents aren't loving the Green Lama cover even though it's one of Mac's very few painted covers and one he painstakingly did to distinguish it from the typical?  OK, well, Master #27 isn't a flag cover, but if you like Mac's flag covers, maybe these (the last 2 images) will help redeem?  :)

l.h., i must admit to ownership of one, as i need it to have the raboy cover-run complete.  but i'm not proud of it.

gl7.jpg

4 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

very fond of this one.

master22.jpg

It's a very atypical Raboy cover, which tend to be simpler and cleaner.  It's like his editor asked him to try to emulate that Schomburg guy at Timely.