• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Traditional directors that dislike superhero productions
2 2

83 posts in this topic

Since this seems to be a thing from time to time...

Jodie Foster Says Superhero Blockbusters Are ‘Ruining’ Moviegoing

jodie-foster-black-mirror-season-4.jpg?q

Two-time Oscar winner Jodie Foster says big budget blockbuster superhero movies are “ruining the viewing habits of moviegoers” in the U.S. and abroad.

If there’s been any consistent path Foster has taken since entering the film world 45 years ago, the actress’ work generally falls more in line with character-driven projects, spanning the genre of dramas, family films, mysteries, and once in a while, even comedies. And while Foster has ventured into the sci-fi genre on occasion with such films as Contact, Elysium and the upcoming Hotel Artemis, she’s never really been involved in an action blockbuster. Judging by her thoughts in a new interview, it appears that she prefers to keep it that way.

Talking with Radio Times magazine (via The Telegraph), Foster makes cclear her disdain for all things big-budget in Hollywood, likening it to a controversial industry where companies recover gas and oil from shale rock. She says:

“Going to the movies has become like a theme park. Studios making bad content in order to appeal to the masses and shareholders is like fracking – you get the best return right now but you wreck the earth.”  

While Foster didn’t point out any individual films, she did take aim at a specific genre, which has essentially been owned by Marvel Studios and DC Films since the emergence of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the DC Extended Universe.

“It’s ruining the viewing habits of the American population and then ultimately the rest of the world. I don’t want to make $200 million movies about superheroes.”

And while she’s clearly pulling no punches when it comes to mega-budgeted Hollywood films and superhero films in particular, Foster appears to at least be open to making a superhero film, but only one with “really complex psychology.”

Edited by Bosco685

There’s a a valid point in here. I know some people don’t want to hear it or don’t care about it. The more Hollywood focuses on making these types of movies the less money is available for smaller films. Also big theatre chains will dedicate less space to these types of films (bring in less money) and thus the cycle keeps repeating itself. Less theatres, less money, less movies.

18 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

There’s a a valid point in here. I know some people don’t want to hear it or don’t care about it. The more Hollywood focuses on making these types of movies the less money is available for smaller films. Also big theatre chains will dedicate less space to these types of films (bring in less money) and thus the cycle keeps repeating itself. Less theatres, less money, less movies.

It is a good point. Look at how Disney was forcing all theaters to agree to play terms only larger chains could support.

Disney's Vader-esque Profit Grab On 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Leaves Theater Owners Cold

In an extraordinarily aggressive move that was first reported by The Wall Street Journal on Wednesday, Disney informed America’s theater operators that it will be keeping as much as 70% of the box office revenues for its film Star Wars: The Last Jedi. It will also impose strict and unyielding requirements as to how the film is to be marketed and exhibited when it releases in multiplexes — at least in those multiplexes that adhere to Disney’s draconian terms — on Thursday, Dec. 14.

One can imagine theater owners reacting to Disney’s huge, unprecedented grab for profits by thinking, without irony, a line that was uttered by various characters in life-threatening situations in each of the first seven Star Wars picture: “I have a bad feeling about this.”

To achieve those big box office numbers, studios will potentially force out small theaters with actions like this.

There's room for both kinds of films. I personally think Foster is painting "Superhero" films with a pretty broad brush. It is absolutely possible to make a character driven comic film. To be honest, I've never been interested in watching a two hour video game. Characterization matters regardless of the genre.

Edited by piper

2 hours ago, piper said:

There's room for both kinds of films. I personally think Foster is painting "Superhero" films with a pretty broad brush. It is absolutely possible to make a character driven comic film. To be honest, I've never been interested in watching a two hour video game. Characterization matters regardless of the genre.

Unbreakable is a prime example of a superhero movie that has great characters and story(thumbsu.

Edited by AnthonyTheAbyss
Add Logan to the list also

I guess I naively assumed that if a studio had big profits in a given year it might help fund some art house projects they might have. Sounds like it shrinks the budget pool instead - sad if that's true.

Should be room for all types of films - and I think there is though the way we come to view things is changing drastically. Spectacle (and money) have driven Hollywood since day one. I'm sure Foster's comments can be echoed by many in the past.

I suspect what she's referring to is the disappearance of mid-budget pictures -- those solid dramas budgeted at $25 million to $75 million that you used to see all the time.

Now it seems like every movie is either a micro-budgeted $5-$20 million picture or a $90-$150 million would-be blockbuster.

If I were a producer these days I'd take the micro-budgeted root -- such as what STX did for its first few films -- including "The Secret in Their Eyes" remake with Nicole Kidman, Chiwetel Ejiofor and Julia Roberts -- and Joel Edgerton's phenomenal "The Gift."

Or follow in the footsteps of Jason Blum with Blumhouse Productions. Goal of $5 million budget per movie, with another $20 million spent on advertising and distribution. Following that model, "Get Out" is probably the most profitable film of the year ($254 million worldwide on a $4.5 million budget) -- as well as (literally) the best-reviewed.

This new economic structure has killed actor salaries and largely moved the middle-market dramas to smaller screens like Netflix.

It’s not just a matter of budget for movies but also space in movie theatres

Look at how your megaplexes show movies

Star Wars is in half or more than half of the screens, this limits the rest of the theatre to be divided up between the other 3-6 movies currently out. The lifespan for some of these smaller movies is sometimes 1-2 weeks before they get pushed out. 

I hate to say it but as much of a creep Weinstein is he was a big supporter, financially of small to mid sized productions the were not traditionally looked at by the big studios.

If I were Jodi I wouldn’t worry about it it a short term thing. The pendulum swings both ways and Hollywood will move on from the superhero genre once they squeezed all the blood from that stone. 

Tom Hanks bucks the traditional Hollywood superhero dislike by seeing these films as the theater saviors.

Tom Hanks on ‘News of the World’, Finally Making a Western, and the Future of Movie Theaters

"A sea change was due, anyway... It was coming. Will movie theaters still exist? Absolutely, they will," the Forrest Gump star told the website. "In some ways, I think the exhibitors — once they're up and open — are going to have the freedom of choice of what movies they’re going to play... Big event motion pictures are going to rule the day at the cinemas.

He added, "News of the World might be the last adult movie about people saying interesting things that's going to play on a big screen somewhere, because after this, in order to guarantee that people show up again, we’re going to have the Marvel Universe and all sorts of franchises."

On 9/16/2021 at 7:14 AM, Bosco685 said:

Uh-oh

So where did Shang-Chi get cut and pasted from again? Gosh I must have seen the old familiar story in Captain Marvel over and over again in so many movies. Actually, no I haven't. They're both original movies featuring things that are relatively new to the movies, like an Asian-American(kind of) actually headlining a major Hollywood blockbuster action movie (Jackie Chan doesn't count. He's Chinese).

I was thinking the other day that there are too many movies that are just a reboot of a popular movie from the past like Blade Runner or Dune, though...

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 9/16/2021 at 7:31 AM, media_junkie said:

He should have made that statement after his movie had run its course.  LOL.

At times all these movie creators have to do is even briefly note an opinion and the news pounces to stir the pot.

And naturally there will be some that can't help swim towards that dangling treat to take the bait. All for the sake of 'I'm a big fan'.

bait-fishing.gif.cf4d7175b2a93edc11cd135a40f5c654.gif

On 9/16/2021 at 8:46 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

So where did Shang-Chi get cut and pasted from again? Gosh I must have seen the old familiar story in Captain Marvel over and over again in so many movies. Actually, no I haven't. They're both original movies featuring things that are relatively new to the movies, like an Asian-American(kind of) actually headlining a major Hollywood blockbuster action movie (Jackie Chan doesn't count. He's Chinese).

I was thinking the other day that there are too many movies that are just a reboot of a popular movie from the past like Blade Runner or Dune, though...

Holy over-react much, Batman!  Where in that tweet/quote did he call out Shang-Chi or your precious Captain Marvel?  But yet there you went.  

You cannot stand to even think someone is throwing shade at your precious Captain Marvel that you get offended even when shade is not being thrown.