• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oblivion Song- Kirkman's new title

47 posts in this topic

people would grade this trade (advance copy print run of 1500) because it came out before any of the comics did so it would be the true first issue, printing, character appearances, etc. if this title became relevant.

Edited by 1p36DSA

3 hours ago, cbalroman said:

Nope. Thinking of trades....(but again they might not do it any longer)

Was not aware. Thank you for posting!

3 hours ago, maraxusofkeld said:

Some trades are rare. Predator vs Magnus comes to mind.

There are many trades that can bring a nice buck.

14 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

One of my shops had stacks upon stacks of them.  Then I walked up to the register to pay and found ...

MY LCS ordered heavy on #1 so backstocked at least 80 copies. He sold 40 on first Wed. Cover price bit strange as $3.99 in US or the SAME in Canada, thus Canucks save about 25% off cover even if one is not a comics subscriber.

On 3/9/2018 at 5:13 PM, rogue14 said:

Any reviews on the story yet?

If it's any help - after reading the first issue I thought it was "just OK." I've never been a huge Kirkman fan outside of TWD though.

I'll probably just wait until the trade comes out though.

Thought it was fine - it reminds me a little bit of HBO's the Leftovers, which I was a fan of. Normally with creator-owned books, I try and buy the single issue floppies instead of trade-waiting to support the creators (and I'm always concerned that if everyone trade-waits, then the book will get cancelled), but with this one, I'm also thinking of waiting until the 1st trade. In the letters pages in issue 1, Kirkman said they've already finished 12 or 13 issues, so they're well ahead of schedule and given his pull and his name, highly likely this book will get a full shot

Anyone found their copies are a little worn on the spine? (not tics just not a clean spine) Not sure if I'm been unlucky or if it's specific to this comic. 

Edited by Owsler
Additional info

Bought it, took one minute to read it since there were so many panels with nothing to read, and will not be buying #2. I am not a fan of the artwork and the lack of a story to draw me in was a negative as well. 

On 3/12/2018 at 11:18 AM, CKinTO said:

Thought it was fine - it reminds me a little bit of HBO's the Leftovers, which I was a fan of. Normally with creator-owned books, I try and buy the single issue floppies instead of trade-waiting to support the creators (and I'm always concerned that if everyone trade-waits, then the book will get cancelled), but with this one, I'm also thinking of waiting until the 1st trade. In the letters pages in issue 1, Kirkman said they've already finished 12 or 13 issues, so they're well ahead of schedule and given his pull and his name, highly likely this book will get a full shot

I thought it had a feel of The Leftovers, too - glad to hear it wasn't just me.  I wonder if Kirkman had watched that show.  Hopefully it can develop into a solid on-going title, as the first issue was good but not great.

On 3/7/2018 at 11:57 AM, 1p36DSA said:

people would grade this trade (advance copy print run of 1500) because it came out before any of the comics did so it would be the true first issue, printing, character appearances, etc. if this title became relevant.

Do you think CGC will note first appearances on the advance TPB?  Curious how they'll treat this one.  Is the 1500 print run, confirmed?

Picked up my books from my LCS and noted no copies of Oblivion Song #2 were left.  I also noted that there were tons of copies of Oblivion Song #1 when it first came out which were also noticeably absent.  I guess not many people picked up the book at my shop so they reduced their orders for the 2nd issue.  Anyone have similar experiences at their shops?

13 hours ago, Ecranu said:

Do you think CGC will note first appearances on the advance TPB?  Curious how they'll treat this one.  Is the 1500 print run, confirmed?

The notes on this one is all over the place:

1.  I've seen the regular cover with & without the 1st appearance notation.

2.  I've seen the silver embossed logo variant with & without the 1st appearance notation.

3. I've only seen the pink signature book with the 1st appearance notation... none without it yet.

So it looks like the TPB is going to take a dive.

10 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Picked up my books from my LCS and noted no copies of Oblivion Song #2 were left.  I also noted that there were tons of copies of Oblivion Song #1 when it first came out which were also noticeably absent.  I guess not many people picked up the book at my shop so they reduced their orders for the 2nd issue.  Anyone have similar experiences at their shops?

Almost always, there's a huge drop-off on LCS orders from a #1 to a #2, especially with Image titles where new #1's come out fairly frequently. Obviously varies by book and by store, but in terms of order of magnitude, if a store orders 30 copies of #1, I bet they cut down to ~10 for #2.

10 hours ago, wikked said:

The notes on this one is all over the place:

1.  I've seen the regular cover with & without the 1st appearance notation.

2.  I've seen the silver embossed logo variant with & without the 1st appearance notation.

3. I've only seen the pink signature book with the 1st appearance notation... none without it yet.

So it looks like the TPB is going to take a dive.

Based on the census, looks like #1 shows 1st appearance of Nathan Cole, Bridget & Duncan.

https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Oblivion+Song&publisher=Image%2FSkybound&issue=1&year=2018&issuedate=3%2F18

The Advance Edition TPB just notes "Collects Oblivion Song #1-6"

https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Oblivion+Song%3A+Advance+Edition&publisher=Image%2FSkybound&issue=nn&year=2017&issuedate=10%2F17