• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

He was the Visual Development Supervisor with Captain Marvel, where in other MCU films he is the Concept Artist. I have a feeling that is his poster. People below the posts congratulating him on the overall design.

Maybe it's his poster. My point is still valid that the D23 posters everybody keeps getting worked up over aren't official theatrical release or official teaser posters, but D23 exclusive posters meant to stir up interest for fans at the event and online.

4 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Maybe it's his poster. My point is still valid that the D23 posters everybody keeps getting worked up over aren't official theatrical release or official teaser posters, but D23 exclusive posters meant to stir up interest for fans at the event and online.

That Black Widow poster was definitely just for D23.

Captain Marvel is all his as well.

6 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

These posters aren't official movie posters. They're just teasers for hardcore fans at D23. The last Black Widow poster is just Andy Park concept art which will probably the cover of the Art of Black Widow book next year. The official Black Widow movie poster is months away when they start the mainstream marketing push when the first trailer drops. Same with the Star Wars poster above. People are getting worked up over D23 concept art teaser posters.

It's awesome, the Art of Winter Soldier & Doctor Strange are the most expensive in the MCU books.

+MS-artBP+AV.jpg

2 minutes ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:

It's awesome, the Art of Winter Soldier & Doctor Strange are the most expensive in the MCU books.

+MS-artBP+AV.jpg

Nice collection. I’ve got the Black Panther. I’ve been looking for  Ragnarok and Dr Strange, but yeah they are hard to find and expensive on eBay

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 8/27/2019 at 6:38 PM, Chaos_in_Canada said:

Another guy who doesn't own TOS52 :baiting:

You're not wrong.

On a scale 1-10, how good are those "Art of..." MCU books? I've considered acquiring them. Do they have anything that isn't shown or detailed in the films themselves?

10 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

You're not wrong.

On a scale 1-10, how good are those "Art of..." MCU books? I've considered acquiring them. Do they have anything that isn't shown or detailed in the films themselves?

To a DCEU fan, the MCU books are -10! :baiting:

Besides, there's too many (23+) & they're too expensive! 2c

On 8/30/2019 at 4:54 PM, Chaos_in_Canada said:

To a Worlds of DC fan, the MCU books are -10! :baiting:

Besides, there's too many (23+) & they're too expensive! 2c

Fixed that for ya.

Not to insinuate that you're perpetuating this culture, but I wish that people would stop thinking in a Marvel vs DC take-a-side fashion. They both have strengths and weaknesses. One film franchise started 5 years before the other.

I'll take this as a "too expensive for their own good" comment, then. I got a little booklet with my Infinity War and Endgame collector Blu-rays, and they're really cool (however small and only 20ish pages). They made me consider getting those "Art of..." ones.

On 9/3/2019 at 8:08 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Fixed that for ya.

Not to insinuate that you're perpetuating this culture, but I wish that people would stop thinking in a Marvel vs DC take-a-side fashion. They both have strengths and weaknesses. One film franchise started 5 years before the other.

I'll take this as a "too expensive for their own good" comment, then. I got a little booklet with my Infinity War and Endgame collector Blu-rays, and they're really cool (however small and only 20ish pages). They made me consider getting those "Art of..." ones.

Amazon's retail CDN & US prices.

I purchased my nine MCU books pre-order from AMZN Canada ($35-40).

I'm pretty happy. :banana:

Untitled-MCU1.jpg

Untitled-MCU2.jpg

Untitled-MCU3.jpg

Edited by Chaos_in_Canada

On 11/3/2018 at 8:17 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Here's one of the reasons I really liked Black Panther (putting aside the unique afro-futurism, ensemble acting, humor, etc.).

It met my primary criterion for a good comic book film - a plot that would hold up even if you took out all the superhero elements.

We've seen so many comic book films over the last decade that it's no longer enough to be wowed by "Whiz, bang! - that's the superhero on screen!" -- Today's comic book movies should be solid movies in their own right that *just happen* to feature superheroes.

• The Dark Knight was an amazing crime thriller.
  • With a few minor edits, Wonder Woman could have been a great WWI espionage thriller.
  • Winter Solider was a great espionage thriller about the moral limits of the PATRIOT Act -- easily better than the last Jack Ryan or Bourne films.

So where does Black Panther fit?

It was legitimately Shakespearan family drama, featuring a flawed king, a murdered brother, an orphaned son/prodigal nephew, and T'Challa himself, a prince-made-king too soon and struggling with the knowledge that his father -- and perhaps the entire royal court -- had been wrong. Take out all the superhero elements, and it could have been a great gritty mob film.

That's the level of plot -- and care in writing -- that we as comic book fans deserve, and whiy I despise misfires like BvS, Suicide Squad, Venom, and the first Hulk movie so much -- they all take the easy way out, insulting audiences by thinking that seeing the titular heroes on-screen is enough and aiming for a minimally-viable-product, rather than using the heroes as a starting point -- a canvas on which to craft a truly compelling story.

The creators of Black Panther could easily have taken the easy route -- selling it merely "look - they're superheroes, but they're black!" That they didn't, and instead gave us a solid family drama with flawed heroes, sympathetic villains, and moral ambiguity, puts it squarely in the former category.

Didnt like Black Panther at all.  The thing I hated most was the Mary Sue Shuri teen age genius character that could just build anything including a super suit that can just shoot out of a necklace.  Come on folks.  There's no senior staff?  Just some teenager is in charge of all Wakandan technology???  wth

5 hours ago, kav said:

Didnt like Black Panther at all.  The thing I hated most was the Mary Sue Shuri teen age genius character that could just build anything including a super suit that can just shoot out of a necklace.  Come on folks.  There's no senior staff?  Just some teenager is in charge of all Wakandan technology???  wth

How is Shuri a Mary Sue? She was groomed by royalty to study, inherit, and implement the world's greatest technology. Much as T'Challa was groomed to be the Black Panther and King.

6 hours ago, kav said:

So wouldn't Tony Stark be a Mary Sue, too? By the end of his run, the guy who started off as a weapon engineer can now figure out time travel in the Quantum Realm within an hour or two after dinner and can build an Infinity Gauntlet like it's no big deal. You people complain about Captain Marvel being overpowered (and now I guess Shuri!?) when probably the most overpowered character in the MCU was Tony Stark.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

14 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

...probably the most intelligent character in the MCU was Tony Stark.

Fix that for ya.

It also stands to reason that Tony Stark had been tinkering with Quantum Time Travel since he returned to Earth.

Regardless - we agree that Shuri is not a Mary Sue.

53 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

So wouldn't Tony Stark be a Mary Sue, too? By the end of his run, the guy who started off as a weapon engineer can now figure out time travel in the Quantum Realm within an hour or two after dinner and can build an Infinity Gauntlet like it's no big deal. You people complain about Captain Marvel being overpowered (and now I guess Shuri!?) when probably the most overpowered character in the MCU was Tony Stark.

38 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Fix that for ya.

It also stands to reason that Tony Stark had been tinkering with Quantum Time Travel since he returned to Earth.

What will be interesting is the go-forward Peter Parker character, as even Hank Pym recognized he is a super-genius that may even surpass his incredible abilities.

And with Shuri, not sure why her extensive intellect is a Mary Sue.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

When did this happen?

Oh, not in the MCU. He was too busy serving as the student to Tony's mentoring there. In the comic books.

Marvel Knights: Spider-Man #15: Hank Pym recognizes his intellect.

Amazing Spider-Man #588: Peter as a 250 IQ.

Spider-Man Human Torch #3: Peter and Reed Richard had the same IQ scores.

4 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

And with Shuri, not sure why her extensive intellect is a Mary Sue.

They're comic book characters in the MCU, so they're all kind of over-powered (or SUPER-powered?). For example, some of the things that Dr. Strange and Wong can do are a bit much, but that's how the MCU works now, I guess. If the Avengers and co. are going to start going up against cosmic beings like Galactus and the Celestials, I suppose they'll need that power boost.

I also get a little triggered when I see the term "Mary Sue" get thrown around so easily. The modern term for "Mary Sue" I suppose means a fictional female character with no flaws or weaknesses. My research says the character Mary Sue, as originated in the 70's, parodied poorly developed female characters in amateur fan fiction which were often the result of said amateur authors inserting themselves into the story while inadvertently making that "autobiographical" character perfect (because don't we all see ourselves as perfect?). It's ironic the term was first coined by a feminist writer, as "Mary Sue" seems to have now been co-opted by fanboys who take exception to super-endowed female heroes they don't agree with. Rey from Star Wars is not a "Mary Sue." At the outset, we see she has skills (combative and non-combative) obtained from living nearly her entire life as a scavenger on a desert planet, just like her predecessors Anakin and Luke.  Carol Danvers is not a "Mary Sue." She is gifted with super-powers just like any other MCU hero and has trained with those powers for six years on an alien world. She is flawed and imperfect. Yet the haters loved to call her "Captain Mary Sue" before even seeing the movie. Shuri is not a "Mary Sue." While she is the princess of Wakanda, she also has her detractors, like M'Baku, who demeaningly calls her a "child." And it's okay she's a super-genius. There are a lot of those in the MCU ie a raccoon. And she just didn't come up with the Black Panther suit on her own, did she? There's this magical element in the movie called vibranium that enables the Wakanda R&D Department to come up with some incredible comic book stuff. I'd love to see the day that angry fanboys can stop referring to female super-heroes as a "Mary Sue", one of the most overused and abused terms in a long time. Maybe that will happen when angry fanboys can learn to accept the idea of strong female super-heroes as a normal thing.

10 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

...I also get a little triggered when I see the term "Mary Sue" get thrown around so easily. The modern term for "Mary Sue" I suppose means a fictional female character with no flaws or weaknesses. My research says the character Mary Sue, as originated in the 70's, parodied poorly developed female characters in amateur fan fiction which were often the result of said amateur authors inserting themselves into the story while inadvertently making that "autobiographical" character perfect (because don't we all see ourselves as perfect?). It's ironic the term was first coined by a feminist writer, as "Mary Sue" seems to have now been co-opted by fanboys who take exception to super-endowed female heroes they don't agree with. Rey from Star Wars is not a "Mary Sue." At the outset, we see she has skills (combative and non-combative) obtained from living nearly her entire life as a scavenger on a desert planet, just like her predecessors Anakin and Luke.  Carol Danvers is not a "Mary Sue." She is gifted with super-powers just like any other MCU hero and has trained with those powers for six years on an alien world. She is flawed and imperfect. Yet the haters loved to call her "Captain Mary Sue" before even seeing the movie. Shuri is not a "Mary Sue." While she is the princess of Wakanda, she also has her detractors, like M'Baku, who demeaningly calls her a "child." And it's okay she's a super-genius. There are a lot of those in the MCU ie a raccoon. And she just didn't come up with the Black Panther suit on her own, did she? There's this magical element in the movie called vibranium that enables the Wakanda R&D Department to come up with some incredible comic book stuff. I'd love to see the day that angry fanboys can stop referring to female super-heroes as a "Mary Sue", one of the most overused and abused terms in a long time. Maybe that will happen when angry fanboys can learn to accept the idea of strong female super-heroes as a normal thing.

Mary Sue has nothing to do with gender, in the modern sense.

Rey, for example, is a Mary Sue because her character is great at everything seemingly without good reason based on precedent set within that franchise's universe.

Kylo Ren would also be a Mary Sue if he wasn't a Skywalker and/or formally trained by Luke.

Carol Danvers is the byproduct of a MacGuffin. So, not a Mary Sue, but as close as you can get to it.

I'd love to see the day that angst-y male feminists full;y understand the term Mary Sue and accept the fact that they exist, by way of poor writing, and simply accept the fact gracefully. You may have heard the ole, "wish in 1 hand and poo in another; see which fills first"?

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

5 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Tony Stark is not a Mary Sue because he fails at stuff.  Shuri is definitely a Mary Sue-even in Endgame she spouts a bunch of techno-BS and Banner says uh because we-didnt think of it?  Yeah sure this teenager is way smarter than Stark and Banner, combined.  Look people can be smart but it still takes life experience to build stuff.  A 12 year old at Harvard doesnt mean they can design and build a super spacecraft.