• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

This is why I don't trust any who claim to be virtuous.

https://news.yahoo.com/time-chair-resigns-reportedly-aiding-145136205.html

The reason I bring this up here is Time's Up was actively talking about the lawsuit. 

By no means is this comment on the merits of Ms. Johansson's case. I haven't read the contract.

Alternate ending has leaked.   News was up on Yahoo. 

Watch it here before the mouse removes it.  It originally bookends the opening scene and Widow rides her motorcycle down her block in Ohio watching kids play, "Avengers".  The ending is sweet (charming). 

Bob Iger's name now being pulled into the conversation to defend the hybrid release decision.

Citing the ongoing COVID-19 crisis, Walt Disney Co. CEO Bob Chapek on Thursday defended his company’s decision to release certain films — including Black Widow — simultaneously in theaters and on Disney+ Premier Access.

He further revealed that the company has “entered into hundreds of of talent arrangements” that have “by and large gone very smoothly.”

“These films were conceived during a time when … we certainly didn’t know about COVID,” Chapek told Wall Street analysts. “Just like what we’ve done many times before, we’ve found ways to fairly compensate our talent so that, no matter what, everyone feels satisfied.”

In general, he said the company values “flexibility” during uncertain times, and that making decisions on a film-by-film basis is the correct course.

“Both Bob Iger and I determined this was the right strategy. And, just to reiterate, distribution decisions are made on a film by film basis. We will continue to utilize all options going forward.”

For a film that was going to save the industry, interesting I had to go back three pages to find this thread. Must be a really good movie! :smile:

Dune director Denis Villeneuve said that he supports Scarlett Johansson’s decision to sue Disney over the Black Widow release. In an interview with La Presse, the filmmaker explained that the entire film industry is in uncharted territory right now. Streaming releases alongside theatrical debuts has complicated matters even further. Villeneuve has been adamant about people seeing Dune in theaters because he believes the movie should be experienced on the big screen first. This has led to some outcry amongst moviegoers who state that this flies in the face of health realities for millions of people around the world. Johansson and the director are both pointing towards the power balance in these contracts though. It’s a conversation worth having as the companies are allowed to edit some agreements here and there on the fly. Talent and crews are beholden to a new environment that wasn’t agreed upon beforehand.

"What if the reverse happens and we don't live up to the contracts we signed on our side?” Villeneuve asked. “In addition, it is wrong to believe that cinema on the big screen is not doing well. But this industry is on a roller coaster ride, which is at odds with Wall Street's desire for stability. And these platform subscriptions provide studios with fixed income. I have nothing against platforms, quite the contrary. They are an extraordinary tool to give us access to the memory of cinema. But a film’s career must begin with the big screen first. From now on, I will also contractually require my films to be released in theaters first. "

Disney is demanding that Scarlett Johansson’s suit over her Black Widow pay be moved to arbitration. The filings came near midnight on Friday evening in Los Angeles Superior Court. The company has also revealed that on Aug. 10, it initiated arbitration against her.

In her complaint, Johansson alleges her contract was breached when the superhero film was released on Disney+. The actress earns bonuses when Black Widow reaches certain box office performance markers and she accuses Disney of not having the film exclusively in theaters because it “saw the opportunity to promote its flagship subscription service.”

Importantly, the deal for Johansson’s services came with Marvel, not Disney. She’s alleging that Disney induced its subsidiary Marvel to breach the contract, but while Johansson isn’t directly suing Marvel, Disney’s attorneys Daniel Petrocelli and Leah Godeski tell the court that an arbitration provision in that contract between Johansson’s loan-out and Marvel applies anyway.

The move to push arbitration isn’t unexpected, and while Disney’s papers detail for the first time the exact language of the arbitration provision (see here), the company’s lawyers also make points that are less legally important at this juncture but will certainly attract notice.

For example, Disney says that Black Widow was put on more than 9,000 screens in the U.S., allegedly satisfying its obligation the film screen on no less than 1,500 (again, Johansson asserts it had to be exclusive), and according to the latest filing, as of Aug. 15, Black Widow has grossed more than $367 million in worldwide box-office receipts and more than $125 million in streaming and download retail receipts.

Disney compares the Black Widow release to other films in the Marvel canon, saying that the opening weekend take was “more than that of many other Marvel Cinematic Universe films, including Thor: The Dark World; Ant-Man; Ant-Man and the Wasp; and Guardians of the Galaxy.”

Interesting how all these numbers are being tossed around and pitching it as just another solo movie when it is now the 24th film in a massive franchise.

MCU_Franchise.png.c3b13d772f77c449aa7774834d0fb6d7.png

The latest salvo in the legal battle between Scarlett Johansson and Disney sees the star's legal team accusing the studio of misogyny and implying that the corporation has something to hide. In response to Disney's attempt to move the highly-publicized lawsuit into arbitration, which would take place behind closed doors, Johansson's team released a statement suggesting that the Marvel Studios parent company is trying to cover up its poor behavior in handling the release of Black Widow and in earlier responses to Johansson's lawsuit. The statement calls those early responses "mysognistic" and shows that Johansson and her team see the arbitration motion as Disney's attempt at damage control.

“After initially responding to this litigation with a misogynistic attack against Scarlett Johansson, Disney is now, predictably, trying to hide its misconduct in a confidential arbitration,” John Berlinski, Johansson's attorney, said Saturday. “Why is Disney so afraid of litigating this case in public? Because it knows that Marvel’s promises to give Black Widow a typical theatrical release ‘like its other films’ had everything to do with guaranteeing that Disney wouldn’t cannibalize box office receipts in order to boost Disney+ subscriptions. Yet that is exactly what happened – and we look forward to presenting the overwhelming evidence that proves it.”

So if we go by these Disney pending court case numbers...

BW_BO210822.thumb.png.1755b0f1f4490d086e1c6e84cd92c5c9.png

So if any other studio did 2.5X production budget (not even including a Market Budget that had to account for 4 release date changes), we would say this was below profitable to account for theater and now streaming partner revenue share.

And let's ignore the fact this is now the 24th film in a massive and for the most part extremely successful franchise. But one of the foundational characters landing a Phase One result even with streaming revenue. But NOW the pandemic matters when it comes to box office results. Not for The Suicide Squad. Not for Quiet Place II. But for Black Widow.

tyra-banks-wink.gif.a6339cc6ae091853e5359a1586f656c8.gif

On 8/21/2021 at 8:25 AM, Bosco685 said:

Interesting how all these numbers are being tossed around and pitching it as just another solo movie when it is now the 24th film in a massive franchise.

MCU_Franchise.png.c3b13d772f77c449aa7774834d0fb6d7.png

They also continue to skirt the real issue that Scarlett is suing them for by throwing out numbers and claims the film was "successful".

On 8/22/2021 at 2:25 PM, Artboy99 said:

They also continue to skirt the real issue that Scarlett is suing them for by throwing out numbers and claims the film was "successful".

Exactly!

:golfclap:

This is all about distraction. Which is sad to see a Studio like Disney that always knew how to apply wise damage control for the most part.

Uh-ohh. She has to go now!

During a recent joint interview with Ted Lasso star Jason Sudeikis for Vanity Fair, Olsen shared some insight on her thoughts about the state of movie releases during the pandemic and Johansson's lawsuit. Olsen's insightful answer included support for Johansson and her fears for films that might not be Hollywood blockbusters getting seen. Check out Olsen's thoughts on the entire matter below.

Olsen: "I’m worried about a bunch of things. Not worried on Scarlett’s behalf. But I’m worried about small movies getting the opportunity to be seen in theaters. That was already a thing pre-COVID. I like going to the movies and I don’t necessarily want to see only an Oscar contender or a blockbuster. I would like to see art films and art house theaters. And so I do worry about that, and people having to keep these theaters alive. And I don’t know how financially that works for these theaters. I do hope that there’s some sort of solution that the larger companies are coming together to keep, at least in L.A. this is going to happen. But I do think it’s going to be how it kind of used to be when studios owned theaters. And I have a feeling that we might go back to that being the only way to keep them alive with such expensive real estate. But when it comes to actors and their earnings, I mean, that’s just, that’s just all contracts. So it’s either in the contract or it’s not. What about you? Are you worried about Scarlett?

Sudeikis: "Of course. How could I not? She’s married to my comedy brother [SNL’s Colin Jost]."

Olsen: "I think she’s so tough and literally when I read that I was like, 'good for you Scarlett'.”

On 8/22/2021 at 1:10 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Just re-watched Black Widow again this movie was a sold A- for me. (shrug)

Perfect companion movie for CAP 2 Winter Soldier! 

Unlike James Gunn's SS.  IMO one of the worst comic book movies of all time!

I thought BW was a good movie.  I enjoyed it.  The Winter Soldier is my favorite comic book movie.  

Edited by musicmeta