• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

On 9/4/2021 at 10:16 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

I like the Russo Bros and the MCU owes them a huge debt for lifting it out of the shaky Phase Two, but I'm a little tired of the subtle plot holes (or "why didn't the character(s) just do this instead?") I constantly see in their films. It's humorous to me that their MCU film with the fewest of those is Avengers Endgame, a time travel movie. It wouldn't break my heart to see the MCU move on from them as long as the MCU keeps making good movies, which Marvel Studios has proven they can do over and over again.

Wait. I thought you implied repeatedly the MCU is pretty much perfect in all of its execution.

:whatthe:

On 9/4/2021 at 11:34 AM, Bosco685 said:

Wait. I thought you implied repeatedly the MCU is pretty much perfect in all of its execution.

:whatthe:

I’ve actually never said that. Incredible Hulk is IMO one of the worst comic book movies ever and I can barely sit through the entirety of Thor 2, in fact I can’t. I didn’t become a MCU mega-fan until Phase 3. 

On 9/5/2021 at 1:17 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I’ve actually never said that. Incredible Hulk is IMO one of the worst comic book movies ever and I can barely sit through the entirety of Thor 2, in fact I can’t. I didn’t become a MCU mega-fan until Phase 3. 

Hi. Mind if I introduce you to the other side of your brain?

On 4/30/2021 at 6:15 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Besides the Incredible Hulk, the MCU hasn't really had a single miss. Even Thor 2 was somewhat a hit. With a worldwide following that's only equaled by Star Wars fandom, yes, you could say that the MCU has been kind of perfect so far in its execution. And yes, once Marvel owns that character and debuts it in the MCU, that is the final version of that character. Yes, that's correct.  When Jennifer Walters debuts in She-Hulk, that will be the final version of Jen Walters in the movies. Yes. That's the way MCU is supposed to work.

Now, this is all assuming that Disney doesn't implode as a company and Marvel Studios has to sell its characters off again to Warner Brothers or whoever. Then you might see reboots. But I don't see that happening. If Disney dies, you can probably consider that a sign of the end times.

Think of the MCU like Star Trek. It's an ever growing universe with hundreds of characters and starships that's been non-stop since the 60's. Yes, you've got that JJ Abrams version with the young Enterprise crew, but it's still not a reboot. It's younger versions of the older characters.

:baiting:

How could it be 'kind of perfect' if the Russo Brothers, who have directed 4 of its movies, NOW bring plot hole concerns with how they convey characters?

Or was this someone else logged into your account?

I know I said it before, but I liked IH. I think before Avengers 1 it was my most watched MCU. Great action, good performances, Stanley's Pizza, great dialogue("He's a headshrink. One of the best. But a really nice guy"). Smokin hot Brazilian babe. I like it.

On 9/5/2021 at 2:53 PM, Bosco685 said:

Hi. Mind if I introduce you to the other side of your brain?

:baiting:

How could it be 'kind of perfect' if the Russo Brothers, who have directed 4 of its movies, NOW bring plot hole concerns with how they convey characters?

Or was this someone else logged into your account?

My own opinion of each MCU film is beside the point. When it comes to getting the world (generally speaking) to buy into the franchise and the return on investment, Marvel Studios (and Disney) has been nearly perfect in its execution.

My feelings on IH, Thor 2, and the flaws I see in the highly successful MCU films of the Russo Bros are just my own and don't apply to that "perfect" term.

On 9/5/2021 at 3:24 PM, Larryw7 said:

I know I said it before, but I liked IH. I think before Avengers 1 it was my most watched MCU. Great action, good performances, Stanley's Pizza, great dialogue("He's a headshrink. One of the best. But a really nice guy"). Smokin hot Brazilian babe. I like it.

Although I'm not a huge fan of the movie, its interpretation of the Hulk (alongside Avengers 2012) was really spot-on. What we got much later on made me look back on those earlier movies with more appreciation.

On 9/5/2021 at 3:35 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

My own opinion of each MCU film is beside the point. When it comes to getting the world (generally speaking) to buy into the franchise and the return on investment, Marvel Studios (and Disney) has been nearly perfect in its execution.

My feelings on IH, Thor 2, and the flaws I see in the highly successful MCU films of the Russo Bros are just my own and don't apply to that "perfect" term.

But wait. I thought you never said that about 'perfect'. But the new disclaimer is helpful.

ohboy01.gif.e534baf775d1d54ab4118d47fd3fd2ef.gif

On 9/6/2021 at 9:48 AM, paperheart said:

tight race between these two :roflmao:

image.png.3871d99a25c994305fcdeeef573b188a.png

lol Where did that come from? What genius thinks an R rated movie will outperform a PG Marvel movie right now? Nice little “what I like is better than what you like” jab. The adults in the room really don’t care. Though I’m sure we are all eager to go rewatch both of those movies soon.

On 9/5/2021 at 1:35 PM, Bosco685 said:

Although I'm not a huge fan of the movie, its interpretation of the Hulk (alongside Avengers 2012) was really spot-on. What we got much later on made me look back on those earlier movies with more appreciation.

I love the 1st Avengers movie.

I think it holds up very well. One of those movies that I have to watch some of - when I see it pop up on tv…

On 9/6/2021 at 11:24 AM, Scam Likely said:

lol Where did that come from? What genius thinks an R rated movie will outperform a PG Marvel movie right now? Nice little “what I like is better than what you like” jab. The adults in the room really don’t care. Though I’m sure we are all eager to go rewatch both of those movies soon.

It becomes obvious after a while when you let them go with their true intent.

On 9/5/2021 at 11:57 AM, paperheart said:

MCU brand untouchable

Should see how they acted when proclaiming Suicide Squad (2016), Logan, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Venom and Joker were going to crash and burn. Then they pretend like...

who_me.gif.41c83aa10f106993f95c18ba36263a1c.gif

In light of the ongoing legal battle between Black Widow star Scarlett Johansson and Disney, Disney CEO Bob Chapek said the standards for talent deals are undergoing a “reset” and future agreements will need to take into account the changes to movie release windows accelerated by the pandemic.

Speaking at the Goldman Sachs Communacopia Conference on Tuesday, Chapek did not explicitly mention Johansson or her lawsuit but referred to deals “cut three or four years ago” on films made during that time that got launched during the middle of the pandemic.

“We’ve got a deal that’s conceived under a certain set of conditions that actually results in a movie that’s being released in a completely different set, so there’s a bit of a reset that’s going on right now, and ultimately we’ll think about that as we do our future talent deals and plan for that and make sure that that’s incorporated,” Chapek said. “But right now, we’ve got sort of this middle position where we’re trying to do right by the talent. I think the talent’s trying to do right by us, and we’re just sort of figuring out our way to bridge the gap.”

Scarlett Johansson, Disney Settle Explosive ‘Black Widow’ Lawsuit

Scarlett Johansson and Disney have settled a breach of contract lawsuit over the star’s Black Widow payday, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

“I am happy to have resolved our differences with Disney,” stated Johansson. “I’m incredibly proud of the work we’ve done together over the years and have greatly enjoyed my creative relationship with the team. I look forward to continuing our collaboration in years to come.”

Disney Studios chairman Alan Bergman added: “I’m very pleased that we have been able to come to a mutual agreement with Scarlett Johansson regarding Black Widow. We appreciate her contributions to the Marvel Cinematic Universe and look forward to working together on a number of upcoming projects, including Disney’s Tower of Terror.”

No kidding. 

In general, Marvel has been able to foster a collaborative spirit among producers, actors, and directors that goes beyond just 'making the next movie'. People like Chloe Zhao come on board because they "just wanted to make a Marvel movie" (her words), in part because of what Feige and the MCU have built on screen but also because of what's happening behind the scenes.  The Russo Brothers likened the MCU to (a romanticized) United Artists -- a place where a lot of good will among talented people in all aspects of filmmaking fostered a lot of good movies and inspiring collaborations.  To lose that reputation over a contract dispute with your most important female actor would have been SUCH a misstep by Disney...the only smart move is to make peace and move forward.

Dan