• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mid-80's TMNT Knockoffs
3 3

150 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, seanfingh said:

Link to a couple of BtB #1 in 9.8. Mine is signed by Mike Richardson, who wrote it. The 1st 6-8 issues are my favorite indy B&W run of the 80's. I probably had 10-12 copies of #1 and only this one had any chance of being 9.8. I think the main reason they are rare is because no one is/has been looking for them. But they are not all 9.8, that is fo sho'

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=21184&GSub=1910

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=10276&GSub=776

I still buy those cheap when I see them, Bt/B, Trollords, Adventurers, Fish Police, Shuriken, Samurai...

That was such a fun time to collect and read. Im grateful to experience that era first hand

19 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

I still buy those cheap when I see them, Bt/B, Trollords, Adventurers, Fish Police, Shuriken, Samurai...

That was such a fun time to collect and read. Im grateful to experience that era first hand

I feel exactly the same way.  I didn't go super deep into the B&W explosion, but I sure had fun with the stuff I had access to.

If you want to go to the early/mid 90's, I think there were also comics for Street Sharks and what I think was called Cowboys Of Moo Mesa (I remember both of them had cartoons, though I'm unsure which came first in either case)? Pretty sure the latter even had a crossover of some sorts with the actual TMNT. Not 100% on that, either. Just something I vaguely recall.  

Colt always seemed more like an homage to Cerebus and Kid Colt (as opposed to Ronin and Daredevil like the Turtles), but I'd add it to the list of comics that grew out of the Turtles explosion.  Ironically, the first printing of #2 included a Turtles pin-up by Peter Laird.  

Colt2_Front.jpg

While looking through my boxes of 80s B&W explosion and otherwise for some of these, I found my collection of Eagle comics from Crystal. Issue 6 has a pinup from Adam Hughes in there, has to be very early Hughes from 1987 or whenever it was, no?

Other issues have pinups from Tim Vigil, Erik Larsen and Bill Willingham. Knew it at the time but forgot all about it.

Ron Lim pinup in issue 12 as well.

Edited by mrwoogieman

Just checked Grand Comic Database and they have Adam Hughes doing backgrounds on issues 9-11 of Eagle, but not for the pinup in issue 6. The details for issue 6 notes "Hughes" for penciller and inker on the pinup, rather than full name. Looks like the pinup might be his first published work. Anyone know?

3 hours ago, mrwoogieman said:

Just checked Grand Comic Database and they have Adam Hughes doing backgrounds on issues 9-11 of Eagle, but not for the pinup in issue 6. The details for issue 6 notes "Hughes" for penciller and inker on the pinup, rather than full name. Looks like the pinup might be his first published work. Anyone know?

Definitely one of his earliest works if not his first work. Ive been buying copies off the bay for awhile for dirt cheap. I finally got one last month that I believe to be a 9.8 which Ill send on my next batch

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eagle-1986-series-6-in-Near-Mint-condition-FREE-bag-board/232638062779?hash=item362a4f20bb:g:khcAAOSwFnxaZIo8

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

Definitely one of his earliest works if not his first work. Ive been buying copies off the bay for awhile for dirt cheap. I finally got one last month that I believe to be a 9.8 which Ill send on my next batch

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eagle-1986-series-6-in-Near-Mint-condition-FREE-bag-board/232638062779?hash=item362a4f20bb:g:khcAAOSwFnxaZIo8

Good luck!

:news:

Just happily overpaid for this the best of the knockoffs imo...it was a nostalgic buy, not a value investment but considering the time it woulda taken my lazy @#$ to find a mint one, get it slabbed, hope for a 9.8,  etc...happy to have taken this home for less than $100...

adbh1nineeight.jpg

17 hours ago, szavisca said:

:news:

Just happily overpaid for this the best of the knockoffs imo...it was a nostalgic buy, not a value investment but considering the time it woulda taken my lazy @#$ to find a mint one, get it slabbed, hope for a 9.8,  etc...happy to have taken this home for less than $100...

adbh1nineeight.jpg

Awesome!

And... This thread at work :)