• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mid-80's TMNT Knockoffs
3 3

150 posts in this topic

On 1/16/2018 at 11:21 PM, comiconxion said:

Agreed -  Albedo (which prided itself on being the premiere funny animal book) debuted in 1983, a year before the Turtles.  And the Erma Felna story appeared in 1979 in the Huzzah fanzine long before the Turtles.

Bingo!

The 80s (mainly) B&W boom was infested with what was referred to back then as the Anthropomorphic era. The difference between those books and, say, funny animals were that they were targeting a more mature audience. Albedo was probably the first book to start the whole movement, but Steve Gallacci was admittedly inspired by Richard & Wendi of Elfquest fame. I would even trace it to Reed Waller's Vootie.

The turtles were basically taking the p**s on all things trending at the time, mutants, ninjas and anthropomorphism. Neither Kevin or Peter thought their book should be taken seriously. Especially not with that title.

On 1/18/2018 at 4:13 PM, Toz said:

Fish Police is one of the few runs I will never sell.There is atleast one copy in 9.8 that I watched on ebay a few years back.I was short on cash at the time.

My run is in storage, but just wanted to join in on the praise for Fish Police.  Amazing book, playing with some similar ideas as the Grant Morrison run on Animal Man, but Fish Police was there first.  An amazing book.

Just don't mention the cartoon.

9 hours ago, OtherEric said:

My run is in storage, but just wanted to join in on the praise for Fish Police.  Amazing book, playing with some similar ideas as the Grant Morrison run on Animal Man, but Fish Police was there first.  An amazing book.

Just don't mention the cartoon.

Apologies to the Fishheads for lumping Fish Police into this topic in my original post!

I actually never bought any fish police back in the day because they were lumped together with all these more blatant knockoffs (the ones that follow the age/deformity/martial-art/animal title format) by my LCS’s and flea market dealers in their “its gonna cost $25 because I said it’s the next TMNT even though it’s brand new and not actually rare section.”

The actual timing of all these coming out is a little fuzzy to me as I stopped collecting for about 20 years after 1990 or so.

11 hours ago, boatfund said:

The titles I enjoyed were:

Critters (and Yosagi Yojimbo in his own title)

Albedo

Fish Police

and one I really liked  a lot

Trollords

61INOWwvZEL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

These were all 20-30$ a book for the first issues. I can imagine if CGC existed back then they would be 200 books each ?

On 1/21/2018 at 1:53 PM, mrwoogieman said:

How about an official parody from Mirage Studios instead of a knock-off?

They're Keen, Teen and Turnip Green!

img228.jpg

I didn't make the connection at first, but Mirage actually coming out with a parody is funny.

Link to a couple of BtB #1 in 9.8. Mine is signed by Mike Richardson, who wrote it. The 1st 6-8 issues are my favorite indy B&W run of the 80's. I probably had 10-12 copies of #1 and only this one had any chance of being 9.8. I think the main reason they are rare is because no one is/has been looking for them. But they are not all 9.8, that is fo sho'

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=21184&GSub=1910

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=10276&GSub=776