• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mid-80's TMNT Knockoffs
3 3

150 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, mrwoogieman said:

Couple I found today at a flea market

img234.jpg

img233.jpg

Nice, never saw Wabbit Wampage before.  I've been someone sidetracked on my ridiculous quest to get a lot of these in 9.8....thanks for reviving the thread and reminding me I need to get back to work on it.

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

I'm not feeling this as a TMNT knockoff/parody.

It needs to be Something-Something-ThenA-Critter.

Wabbit Wampage feels like Deadpool Bugs Bunny. :grin:

Agreed, it's more in line with comics like Bushido Walrus and Samurai Penguin posted earlier in this thread. Cute and/or cuddly animals who become raging death machines in 80s independent books, maybe?

(shrug)

3 hours ago, mrwoogieman said:

Agreed, it's more in line with comics like Bushido Walrus and Samurai Penguin posted earlier in this thread. Cute and/or cuddly animals who become raging death machines in 80s independent books, maybe?

(shrug)

Yep. Can we put all these in release order? :hm:

On 2/12/2018 at 6:22 PM, szav said:

:news:

Just happily overpaid for this the best of the knockoffs imo...it was a nostalgic buy, not a value investment but considering the time it woulda taken my lazy @#$ to find a mint one, get it slabbed, hope for a 9.8,  etc...happy to have taken this home for less than $100...

adbh1nineeight.jpg

:idea:  Well, since your book here is still tied for the highest graded copy to date, maybe you should throw it into a CL Auction and see if it can do a repeat performance of the $44K that the Transformers 1 was able to do in their recently completed Featured Auction.  lol  :screwy:

On 1/12/2018 at 7:41 PM, szav said:

So I've only been actively collecting GA comics since getting back into the hobby and I can barely remember what other knockoffs there were back then.  Was hoping people could help remind me.  All I remember is that a few years after turtlemania started taking off you got imitations like this one, and dealers trying to sell them for $20 right off the rack as if they were low print runs and going to be the next TMNT.  I never bought these back then because I figured it was BS, and sure enough the market crashed for these. 

Well, if you are talking about knockoffs, wasn't TMNT itself basically nothing more than just a knockoff or parody of Daredevil, and in particular, Frank Miller's version of Daredevil?  Well, I imagine it must have been pretty obvious at the time with the huge success and popularity of Miller's Daredevil run at the time.  Especially when they came up with the Splinter character and the Foot baddies which were a very clear and obvious parody of Miller's Stick and the Hand baddies.  (thumbsu

On 1/20/2018 at 10:02 AM, Aweandlorder said:

Bingo!

The 80s (mainly) B&W boom was infested with what was referred to back then as the Anthropomorphic era. 

The turtles were basically taking the p**s on all things trending at the time, mutants, ninjas and anthropomorphism. Neither Kevin or Peter thought their book should be taken seriously. Especially not with that title.

And the exact reason why I handed back that toxic looking turd of a book right back to the LCS owner when he said that he could order a brand new copy of TMNT 1 right from the publisher for me for a mere $300 when I thought nobody in their right mind would pay even $3, let along 300 big ones for that POS book.  Needless to say, I handed it right back to him as fast as I could and looked immediately for a washroom so that I could scrubbed my hands clean with soap after touching that doggy doo doo of a book.  :fear:  :screwy:   doh!

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

And the exact reason why I handed back that toxic looking turd of a book right back to the LCS owner when he said that he could order a brand new copy of TMNT 1 right from the publisher for me for a mere $300 when I thought nobody in their right mind would pay even $3, let along 300 big ones for that POS book.  Needless to say, I handed it right back to him as fast as I could and looked immediately for a washroom so that I could scrubbed my hands clean with soap after touching that doggy doo doo of a book.  :fear:  :screwy:   doh!

meh :facepalm: :eyeroll:

On 1/20/2018 at 1:02 PM, Aweandlorder said:

Bingo!

The 80s (mainly) B&W boom was infested with what was referred to back then as the Anthropomorphic era. The difference between those books and, say, funny animals were that they were targeting a more mature audience. Albedo was probably the first book to start the whole movement, but Steve Gallacci was admittedly inspired by Richard & Wendi of Elfquest fame. I would even trace it to Reed Waller's Vootie.

The turtles were basically taking the p**s on all things trending at the time, mutants, ninjas and anthropomorphism. Neither Kevin or Peter thought their book should be taken seriously. Especially not with that title.

Just like Lobo, a few years later. Now there's an interesting crossover…