• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mid-80's TMNT Knockoffs
3 3

150 posts in this topic

On 3/20/2021 at 6:34 PM, ectocooler said:

Thanks for reviving this thread, I just read through all of it. I wonder where Szav is on his quest?

I got sidetracked, and mildly discouraged because i can’t find these locally in good shape, and with eBay it was just a crapshoot.  I got a bunch of 9.4s but not really any 9.8 candidates. I really need to get back to this and at least fInd Hamster Vice and PTDGKFK in 9.8.

Happy to see this thread revived and that others find these books worthwhile  too.

3 hours ago, Morganmi said:

Can't Believe I missed this thread before. Have lots of these as my younger brother started getting into comics about this time and decided this was all the rage. Needless to say he didn't last long as a collector. doh! Here's one I have in a box somewhere that don't think was posted before.

b9_61607_0_LaffinGas1.jpg

Nice, never saw this one before... gotta find one now.

On 5/18/2021 at 10:57 PM, Morganmi said:

Can't Believe I missed this thread before. Have lots of these as my younger brother started getting into comics about this time and decided this was all the rage. Needless to say he didn't last long as a collector. doh! Here's one I have in a box somewhere that don't think was posted before.

b9_61607_0_LaffinGas1.jpg

The PTDGKFK also appear in #5, at least. Not sure if any of the groups cameo in any other Laffin' Gas issues.

On 5/30/2021 at 12:08 PM, mrwoogieman said:

10E9A55D-629A-42C7-9FE6-70B66970F2DE.jpeg

I can see the headline on the eBay auction now:

SUPER RARE! First Appearance of KUNG FU PANDA - Disney! TMNT Usagi CGC IT 9.8 9.9 10

Starting price: $10,000

5 hours ago, valiantman said:

I can see the headline on the eBay auction now:

SUPER RARE! First Appearance of KUNG FU PANDA - Disney! TMNT Usagi CGC IT 9.8 9.9 10

Starting price: $10,000

Seems about right for an ebay listing, especially since that's not even Panda Khan's first appearance (which is in the B story in A Distant Soil v1 #6).

21 minutes ago, Legion HQ said:

I admit I was sucked into many of these books as a kid in the 80s. So, love this thread. Hamsters actually has some pretty cool covers over the years. I had to get this one last year....

ARBBH 2.jpg

ARBBH is by far the best (and longest-running) of the TMNT knockoffs. And, as far as I know, the only one revived after the initial flurry of publication (by Dynamite, as with that one above). I agree that one (Oeming's variant cover to Dynamite's #2) is the best of them, although all the Oeming variant covers are better than you'd expect from the series, and Nguyen's standard covers for #2 and #4 aren't shabby either.

ARBBH also includes some actual great rarities, for the discerning completionist... :ph34r:

On 5/18/2021 at 8:17 AM, mcduckz said:

The books are probably not that great, but there has to be some Phil Foglio fans around that snap up stuff like this.

Phil did a lot of stuff.Most of it is very readable.One question though.Is this like PG,R or X?

On 6/5/2021 at 9:30 PM, Toz said:

Phil did a lot of stuff.Most of it is very readable.One question though.Is this like PG,R or X?

Pretty sure Just Imagine is PG material, although that's always a relevant question for the Foglio's work.

It's my sincere hope that one day...this thread will be full of all the ..OMG can't believe what people are paying for these now posts... ADRBH #1 picking up steam! Doubling in value since I paid 90$ for my 9.8 ~three years ago.  Believe there were 10 or 12 CGC 9.8s on census back then, up to 17 now.

image.thumb.png.f27962ad2c325eba8d118480a0123b7d.png

Sadly for Geriatric Gangrene Jujitsu Gerbils not much movement since my 22$ purchase of the lone highest graded CGC 9.8 copy...9.6s are looking pricey though!

image.png.490d2fa0ce66cda626b23b22a4ede7b0.png

On 6/7/2021 at 8:11 PM, szav said:

It's my sincere hope that one day...this thread will be full of all the ..OMG can't believe what people are paying for these now posts... ADRBH #1 picking up steam! Doubling in value since I paid 90$ for my 9.8 ~three years ago.  Believe there were 10 or 12 CGC 9.8s on census back then, up to 17 now.

image.thumb.png.f27962ad2c325eba8d118480a0123b7d.png

Sadly for Geriatric Gangrene Jujitsu Gerbils not much movement since my 22$ purchase of the lone highest graded CGC 9.8 copy...9.6s are looking pricey though!

image.png.490d2fa0ce66cda626b23b22a4ede7b0.png

The challenge that (most of) these books have is that they were printed in volumes that were more aspirational than market-realistic. And, of course, that the niche of people who still care about them is rather tiny at this point. There's some reason to think that they might slowly attract more interest as early TMNT material gets priced out of the reach of normal mortals. Maybe.

As things stand right now, ARBBH #1 is likely the highest volume seller, and I'm actually a little surprised at those 9.8 sale prices. One thing I've learned from assembling runs of some other copper/modern drek is that some of this stuff is actually really hard to find at high grade. Decades in fill boxes hurts books. Meanwhile, as far as actual rarity goes, I think ARBBH #9 (last issue of the first volume) is a harder book than #1.

The real chase books, which I've alluded to before, all have zero slabbed copies. Along with the main title, Eclipse also released a 4-part mini-series in 1986: Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters in 3-D. Fans of Miracleman likely know where this is going... Eclipse's editor-in-chief, Cat Yronwode, was unable to perceive the visual effect used in their 3D comics, so insisted that the company produce limited numbers of comics for sale (exclusively via mail-in catalog) to similarly situated readers. These are the famed "3D in 2D" issues, printed with black and white interiors and without the 3D effect, and (I'm fairly sure) with one advertisement replaced with an editorial by Cat about the vision conditions that prompted the creation of these books. The Miracleman 3D in 2D book was a run of about 100 (there was some overage printed, and suggestions are that they ran 110 or so copies). For ARBBH in 3D, it's probably similar (although MCS quotes a print run of 300?). I have no idea if they all sold (but, on the good news front, ARBBH in 3D was printed after the Russian River flood, so at least that doesn't cut into quantities). Regardless, most copies are likely signed and numbered by Cat on an interior page.

These books are not reliably distinguishable from their covers, so you have to inspect interior pages to tell the "3D in 2D" books apart from their normal versions. None -- of any of the four issues -- have been graded by CGC. None appear to be currently available online, unless one of the normal books up for sale is an overlooked limited edition. The Eclipse "3D in 2D" books are, individually, some of the rarest copper age books; a complete run of ARBBH has four of them, the most of any Eclipse property.

Good luck, hamster fans!

On 6/9/2021 at 7:52 AM, Qalyar said:

The challenge that (most of) these books have is that they were printed in volumes that were more aspirational than market-realistic. And, of course, that the niche of people who still care about them is rather tiny at this point. There's some reason to think that they might slowly attract more interest as early TMNT material gets priced out of the reach of normal mortals. Maybe.

Oh...I think they're basically worthless forever unless they're in a 9.8 holder at which point they make for amusing conversation pieces to people like me.  I can stomach $50-100 for most of them in  9.8 I think.  They're not that easy to find in pristine shape though like you said.

On 6/9/2021 at 7:52 AM, Qalyar said:

The Eclipse "3D in 2D" books are, individually, some of the rarest copper age books; a complete run of ARBBH has four of them, the most of any Eclipse property.

Nice, sounds like something fun to hunt for.