• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mid-80's TMNT Knockoffs
3 3

150 posts in this topic

On 6/5/2021 at 7:30 PM, Toz said:

Phil did a lot of stuff.Most of it is very readable.One question though.Is this like PG,R or X?

Mostly PG, one of the stories might be closer to R with some nudity.  The story in Just Imagine 3 (which doesn't have a Phil cover) was reprinted in the original Donning/ Starblaze Buck Godot collection but was removed from the Studio Foglio reprint.

3 hours ago, szav said:

Speaking of which, some turd just set a GPA record setting amount of money for this one.......

image.png.a9172800c7a472288175c8f9760dfe65.png

CGC does know to slab the 3D in 2D copies differently (none of the ARBBH ones are slabbed, but others have been), so that's just a normal copy. Black cover does likely make it tough to snag in 9.8 though.

10 hours ago, Qalyar said:

so that's just a normal copy. Black cover does likely make it tough to snag in 9.8 though

I assumed it to be the regular one, but hard to find in 9.8 possibly.  We wont know how rare these are till prices justify people trying to find, press, and sub them.  My gut tells me they won't be super common in 9.8 but it wouldnt surprise me if many people had stockpiles that went unsold and are sitting in long forgotten boxes.  Case in point, a few weeks ago I found out I had a dozen minty fresh TMNT#1 4th prints that I'd completely forgotten about...and my unslabbed collection is pretty small.  Like 4 long boxes worth from my childhood.

On 5/18/2021 at 11:57 PM, Morganmi said:

Can't Believe I missed this thread before. Have lots of these as my younger brother started getting into comics about this time and decided this was all the rage. Needless to say he didn't last long as a collector. doh! Here's one I have in a box somewhere that don't think was posted before.

b9_61607_0_LaffinGas1.jpg

I found a copy of this one, thanks for pointing it out!

On 7/19/2021 at 11:38 PM, mrwoogieman said:

Rounding out the collection from the dollar boxes. 

8C71F085-6B2D-4D6E-9CBB-DCEE8D4DB077.jpeg

399043F6-532C-4B94-8EBB-3F5D568C21D5.jpeg

24812636-125F-4DBF-BD89-3AD29B49B802.jpeg

B6895C4D-091B-4349-8460-D944B13A724E.jpeg

Is that ARBBH #1 a first or second printing? As far as I remember, they're only distinguishable by the indicia. And I'm pretty sure it's the only ARBBH book to actually GO to a second printing.

On 7/20/2021 at 9:44 PM, Qalyar said:

Is that ARBBH #1 a first or second printing? As far as I remember, they're only distinguishable by the indicia. And I'm pretty sure it's the only ARBBH book to actually GO to a second printing.

It's a second printing, good call!

:news:

Definitely overpaid a tiny bit (though less than it says on GPA for some reason) but happy to help get the ball rolling on slabbed sales, particularly with Hamster Vice which is just so 80's.  One of my favorite covers out of all of the mid 80s imitations.

HamsterVice1CGC98.JPG

SamuraiPenguin1cgc98.JPG

On 10/31/2021 at 7:15 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I picked a copy of this at NYCC… and immediately listed it for sale. Could be a 9.8 with a press, but I'm not interested in investing that much into it to sell.

Too much risk, too little reward.  So of course, I submitted the ABRH #1 I purchased new as a kid to CGC last month :)

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/31/2021 at 4:29 PM, MAR1979 said:

Too much risk, too little reward.  So of course, I submitted the ABRH #1 I purchased new as a kid to CGC last month :)

I applaud this decision, the reward is basically zero for now but the risk isn’t that great unless 30$ will put you in the poorhouse I guess.

There’s 2 I’d gladly make the first apparent submissions to CGC for but I can’t honestly find  in 9.8 shape.  Mildly microwaved pre pubescent Kung fu gophers #1 and pre teen dirty gene Kung fu kangaroos #1.

There’s some 9.8 looking raws on eBay but I need to see them in hand, and is anyone bringing these to shows?  Doubt it.