• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Woman in Red- First Super Heroine Crime Fighter in Comic Books
2 2

30 posts in this topic

Getting back to subject a bit, all these years we have applied the word "super" to heroes. In my mind, it was never whether or not the hero came from Krypton and was imbued with otherwordly power, but the word "super" more related to their courage, bravery and willingness to put self behind other peoples interests. I mean, Batman is referred to as a "super" hero and has been for decades. Same with Robin. Same with Hourman and he was a drug addict. Wildcat was a washed up boxer. The Woman In Red qualifies as a "super" hero in my book. As much as The Scarlet Pimpernel does or even the Crimson Avenger. He was human, wasn't he? No specific skill set other than throwing punches and being extremely lucky.

Maybe Invisible Scarlet O'Neil was first. She turned invisible by touching a nerve in her left wrist after sticking her finger into the ray beam of her fathers invention. That's as believable as being bitten by a radioactive spider and gaining the powers of a spider. Not leukemia like I would have gotten instead. 

Edited by Randall Ries

On 2/28/2021 at 4:03 PM, Randall Ries said:

Getting back to subject a bit, all these years we have applied the word "super" to heroes. In my mind, it was never whether or not the hero came from Krypton and was imbued with otherwordly power, but the word "super" more related to their courage, bravery and willingness to put self behind other peoples interests. I mean, Batman is referred to as a "super" hero and has been for decades. Same with Robin. Same with Hourman and he was a drug addict. Wildcat was a washed up boxer. The Woman In Red qualifies as a "super" hero in my book. As much as The Scarlet Pimpernel does or even the Crimson Avenger. He was human, wasn't he? No specific skill set other than throwing punches and being extremely lucky.

Maybe Invisible Scarlet O'Neil was first. She turned invisible by touching a nerve in her left wrist after sticking her finger into the ray beam of her fathers invention. That's as believable as being bitten by a radioactive spider and gaining the powers of a spider. Not leukemia like I would have gotten instead. 

A thought recently came to me is that when Superman lifts himself from the ground, it’s called science fiction, yet if Zatara does the same thing, it’s called magic, as if it’s impossible for anyone else to perceive what Superman does as magic.

Just found this thread! Cool stuff, and here is my submission: Amazona the Mighty Woman in Planet Comics 3 March 1940.

"woman of surpassing strength and unmatched beauty" she kicks a car and leaves it a total wreck.

Clearly a "super" heroine.

20210311_195606.jpg

20210311_195738.jpg

Edited by Artboy99